2022 Skate America Free Dance | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2022 Skate America Free Dance

peepsquick

Final Flight
Don't know if they are sour grapes, but grapes from Beatrice nonetheless.
The sign of utter weirdness is when I like something I usually tend to despise out of bunch. And it happened today, those who know, know.

About 1st and 2nd...I have weird dilemma. On one side, seemingly effortless performance, with focus on the move and how it travels the music, to however quite static/ascetic/simplistic creation of a program overall. On the other, not that effortless, labored in places performance to a creation that I can't click as fitting to the pair. One team bested out the vehicle by their skating while the other got swallowed by theirs despite efforts (ofc my subjective opinion).

I already saw both teams skating better, to MUCH better vehicles. Do I think this year's FD is a downgrade from Chopin FD last year? Yes, pretty much. But as long as it's their story to tell this year, my opinion doesn't matter.
I'm curious about how both Chock/Bates program will change (if???) in Sapporo.

Lastly, Marina clearly didn't lose her touch snd penchant for effective theatrical flair. POTO is my most loathed warhorse, yet she had me invested during those 4 minutes. Kana's expressiveness I mesmerising.
Sorry, but I found Marina's choreography totally outdated ... what a boring vehicle for these two great skaters!

Reactions: dcr

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
C&B won on reputation. I have nothing against them. They have been one of my favs. And while one might argueKi Madison has the edge on Kaitlyn (and no longer that wide if wide at all), Evan is not in the same league as Jean Luc and that has to count for something.
Just like Pairs. Alexa and Brandon got the home nation and world champ bonus but was outskated in both programs. I am in shock about CB. I meaan HB was ging backwards kind of like Canadas Shane and Carolane who i think are finished - Canada has two spots for worlds and SF are probably fifth now. They really showed us they want it bad. Good work HB and Canada.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
ice dance will be interesting at USA Nationals this year
Yeah it will. H/B got their best ever FD score at 122 whereas C/B have scored around 130 the last two seasons. However, C/B’s last three FDs had really interesting unique choreography, especially in the lifts that they got really high GOE for. This FD is lovely and I think it will definitely grow but the lifts and choreo aren’t as innovative as their recent FDs so they could lose marks there and H/B could close the gap.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
The couple 3 made me remember how my husband always calling out skaters for mellow dirges. These guys took even a step further, dressing for funerals too. Hoping for something more upbeat next, heh

rain

Record Breaker
Is it me or have arm movements increased exponentially this season?

the whaacking effect - Thanks Gabi & Guillaume

I believe it's actually a feature or a bullet point this year, which is why we are seeing so very much of it. I think the powers that be saw Papadakis/Cizeron do it so well and impressively last year and decided to basically make everyone do it. Except then it becomes what we've got now — not an improvement.

Cilla70

On the Ice
well... MLS half-time... convenient for the final skaters... and well my team is LOSING despite playing better... i hate when that happens... just not scoring while the other team got lucky... i won't make parallels with how i feel sometimes in figure skating.
I am a soccer grandmom, and I feel the same way. Soccer and figure skating effect me the same way. Holding my breath waiting for my team to score and then waiting for the figure skating judge’s scores. 😓😰

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
Just reviewing the protocols and checking out other reviews - Chock & Bates had character step invalidated in FD. Apparently it didn't cross the short axis correctly. This was a loss of nearly 4 points.
Oh interesting! I’m going to need to watch that back. If that’s the case, I think C/B will still be a lock for US #1 as they were only 2 points behind H/B’s best ever score and that was with an invalidated element and other visible mistakes in the programme.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Probably nobody here to answer, but I wan catching up, and I even rewatched twice, but i don’t see jumps in the beginning of Harris/Chan program, I see gentle lifts. Are they classified as jumps?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Oh interesting! I’m going to need to watch that back. If that’s the case, I think C/B will still be a lock for US #1 as they were only 2 points behind H/B’s best ever score and that was with an invalidated element and other visible mistakes in the programme.
H/B must be breathing a sigh of relief. For a while they looked like they might be passed by two of the up and coming teams and in fact their spot at the Olympics looked in doubt. They really dodge a bullet and now look like they are contenders but there is so much more room for improvement from Chock and Bates who I thought would slay it. I am not so sure now Chock and Bates are the obvious world champion faves. I think they opened the door for the Italians, the British and maybe the Canadians.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chock / Bates made their season debut at SA, while H/B had their season opener at Finlandia, where they finished second to Fournier Beaudry / Sorensen. H/B scored a total 197.45 at Finlandia (78.90+118.50). Their SA scores 202.07 (79.12+122.95) show how much they benefitted from that first time out.

C/B have four weeks before their next event (NHK) to work the kinks out of their programs.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
H/B must be breathing a sigh of relief. For a while they looked like they might be passed by two of the up and coming teams and in fact their spot at the Olympics looked in doubt. They really dodge a bullet and now look like they are contenders but there is so much more room for improvement from Chock and Bates who I thought would slay it. I am not so sure now Chock and Bates are the obvious world champion faves. I think they opened the door for the Italians, the British and maybe the Canadians.
Yeah I agree - I don’t think they are guaranteed world champions either. The Italians are always so strong technically and they have a strong FD this year. If G/P have another FD like Vincent or Both Sides then they have a fair chance too. All three couples have all had errors in major comps too so they all could finish anywhere on the podium.

Yeah it’s been a great start for H/B - they should stay ahead of Green and Parsons and C/P.