2022 Skate America location revealed (Norwood, Mass.) | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2022 Skate America location revealed (Norwood, Mass.)

sheskates

Rinkside
OK, Logan Express to Brain tree. This appears to be a mostly non stop bus that takes you from Logan Airport to a Town called Braintree. Runs every half hour and pay close attention to how you get tickets. 11 bucks one way. 20-45 minutes. From there, its a 14 mile Uber ride to Norwood. Its an option. My guess is that the bus is set up to take luggage
Yes the bus is set up to accommodate luggage and it pretty reliable. I live in the Boston area and happy to help answer questions about the area.

One thing to keep in mind is Boston traffic can be very unpredictable, so definitely allow extra time.

Legacy Place in Dedham is only a few miles from the SCOB and has a lot of restaurants and shops.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes the bus is set up to accommodate luggage and it pretty reliable. I live in the Boston area and happy to help answer questions about the area.

One thing to keep in mind is Boston traffic can be very unpredictable, so definitely allow extra time.

Legacy Place in Dedham is only a few miles from the SCOB and has a lot of restaurants and shops.
A local with knowledge is always appreciated. ! It looks like buying a ticket in advance is the thing to do for the Logan express. You dont want to end up waiting one or two additional half hours.... I wonder if there is a way to see what the uber cost is from Braintree to Norwood or if any uber person would go that far? The Spokane Coure d'Alene area is the fasting growing area in the country. I have to have an app on my phone that shows the wrecks on the interstate, as well as the slow downs.....whats wrong with the founding fathers? Could they not see in 1776 the need for light rail in the Boston metro area????"? :) When I was with the state patrol, the Chief made clearing wrecks a priority statewide but if someone is injured, or worse, they the detectives have to come out and clearing time takes for ever....I can well believe your statement about Boston traffic being unpredictable.

Attachments

• traffic.jpg
    traffic.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Is there a reason why they chose locations inaccessible by transit for major events? That kind of crazy given that they expect people to travel to them… i could never understand this logic.
I feel the same way, and I am BAFFLED by the number of people complaining about SA and Nats having been held in Vegas the last 2 years. Like...the Vegas airport always has a huge organized cab line. The airport is 10-15 minutes away from the hotel. The arena where the skating was held is part of the hotel complex (you don't even have to go outside to get to it). There are several regular restaurants and a multi-restaurant food court on site, as well as entertainment other than gambling (a bowling alley and a movie theatre, which I availed myself of one night), as well as a large gift shop with snacks. If you wanted to go to the strip, it was a very short and easy cab or Uber away. And a cab line outside the hotel, waiting to take checked out guests back to the airport. I never had to leave the site, and in my opinion, this is the most ideal set up for an event like this!! I'd go back to Vegas in a heartbeat, but trying to figure out logistics with that setup in Boston? Forget it.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I feel the same way, and I am BAFFLED by the number of people complaining about SA and Nats having been held in Vegas the last 2 years. Like...the Vegas airport always has a huge organized cab line. The airport is 10-15 minutes away from the hotel. The arena where the skating was held is part of the hotel complex (you don't even have to go outside to get to it). There are several regular restaurants and a multi-restaurant food court on site, as well as entertainment other than gambling (a bowling alley and a movie theatre, which I availed myself of one night), as well as a large gift shop with snacks. If you wanted to go to the strip, it was a very short and easy cab or Uber away. And a cab line outside the hotel, waiting to take checked out guests back to the airport. I never had to leave the site, and in my opinion, this is the most ideal set up for an event like this!! I'd go back to Vegas in a heartbeat, but trying to figure out logistics with that setup in Boston? Forget it.
Yeah, except for the long flight for Easterners, I dont get the hate for Vegas. You forgot that there is no b($#@ing jumbotron, which is wonderful. And its usually sunny and warm. And there is a panda express and liquer store and pharmacy close by. And you take the same elavators as Kaori and other goddesses. Or you can just sit in the pathway and watch the stars go by....and there is a nice biggggg pool area with a bar where you can just sit underneath trees and enjoy life. And its warm and sunny. I have been to many nice venues....but none as nice and convienent and fairly prices as Vegas.
You wont see this in Norwood.....Just sayin' The bar patio is near the big green thing under the palms.
1650603113320.png

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
OMG, OMG, yes! And the transit in Vegas literally runs 24/7, you just need an easy obtainable pass on your phone. The bus ran right from the strip to Orleans. There were always people waiting for it after the competitions, so it wasn't scary. It was awesome. And, like, the variety of the hotels? Get outta here! Nothing compares. Oh, and airfare? The cheapest and there are planes from everywhere all the time. The airport is used to handling lots of travelers so it went so fast with check ins... AWESOME.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Yeah, except for the long flight for Easterners, I dont get the hate for Vegas. You forgot that there is no b($#@ing jumbotron, which is wonderful. And its usually sunny and warm. And there is a panda express and liquer store and pharmacy close by. And you take the same elavators as Kaori and other goddesses. Or you can just sit in the pathway and watch the stars go by....and there is a nice biggggg pool area with a bar where you can just sit underneath trees and enjoy life. And its warm and sunny. I have been to many nice venues....but none as nice and convienent and fairly prices as Vegas.
You wont see this in Norwood.....Just sayin' The bar patio is near the big green thing under the palms.
View attachment 5175
You shared an elevator with Kaori?? I would have died. The only skater I ran into by the elevators was Adam Siao Him Fa, which was nice, but I was a bit disappointed that I never saw anyone else.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
You shared an elevator with Kaori?? I would have died. The only skater I ran into by the elevators was Adam Siao Him Fa, which was nice, but I was a bit disappointed that I never saw anyone else.
The problem is you are not a sneaky old man! I did get Jimmy Ma by accident and he was real nice..and Vince.....What you do is hang out in the security area for the elevators , room key in hand. When a skater I love like Kaori walks by and heads to an elevator, I show my room key and follow them.... I had to say something....she was in front of me...back turned....so I said Hummmmmmmm MATRIX! She and her coach both turned and gave me a smile. I wished them luck when they left the elevator....luckily I didnt turn to goo. :love2::love2::love2::love2::love2:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
OMG, OMG, yes! And the transit in Vegas literally runs 24/7, you just need an easy obtainable pass on your phone. The bus ran right from the strip to Orleans. There were always people waiting for it after the competitions, so it wasn't scary. It was awesome. And, like, the variety of the hotels? Get outta here! Nothing compares. Oh, and airfare? The cheapest and there are planes from everywhere all the time. The airport is used to handling lots of travelers so it went so fast with check ins... AWESOME.
Exactly....they are talking about building a dedicated highway from the airport to downtown. Maybe underground. In February, they had 2.6 million visitors and I think they have about 150,000 hotel rooms.....the Orleans alone handles multiple events at the same time. Like everywhere else around the country, they cant find enough people to run things as they want but they did a good job with what they had.....and if your flight is messed up...you KNOW there is gonna be more flights to Vegas....What scares me is the airlines need 13,000 pilots and the US only mints about 5,000 to 7,000 a year and they HAVE to retire at 65.....the ones who are still flying after the pandemic are burned out and striking....and like doctors, you cant make pilots overnight.....

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just sent an email to Brent asking him if possibly there will be boxes available where we can put gifts for skaters. More importantly, I asked if there is any possibility of a shuttle. Maybe (as apgold suggested) there will be something similar to when Night of Stars was held there recently.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just sent an email to Brent asking him if possibly there will be boxes available where we can put gifts for skaters. More importantly, I asked if there is any possibility of a shuttle. Maybe (as apgold suggested) there will be something similar to when Night of Stars was held there recently.
I emailed the B.O. (a nice guy named Ben emailed back) and this is what he had to say about shuttles.
We are actively discussing providing shuttle service from the Route 128 Station to the Club.

So fingers crossed if their discussions pan out, they will be providing shuttles. That makes me very happy as I'm staying close to the train station and would save me a lot on money on Uber/Lyfts or cabs. There are over 2,000 parking spaces there, so there should be ample parking.

Also, having the shuttle by the train allows people more flexibility in accommodations (or stay in downtown Boston if they want), as long as they are on the train line that stops at Route 128. There is also a Marriott Courtyard next to the train station but it looks like they are already sold out for SA weekend. I wonder if the Courtyard will be the official hotel - perhaps USFS bought up the rooms.

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
A reminder to everyone that ticket packages go on sale this coming Friday, May 6th.

When I emailed the box office, they recommended that if you don't already have an account with SCOB, you should set up one beforehand. They are not using Ticketmaster or an outside service and you will be able to select your seats.

https://scboston.universitytickets.com/w/default.aspx - the registration/login button is on the upper right in red.
THATS a relief! NO ticketmaster/Tickets west. (FOFS early bird sales are May 3rd.)

It made me very sad to see the local news talk about the Paul McCartney concert here two days ago. They reminded people to put their "tickets" into their Google pay account or iWALLET. This is nothing more than forced marketing and age discrimination. They are in essense making people believe they must have a smart phone, must have a ticketswest account, and set up a google pay account. Wish I had a law firm and 10 old people that want to fight this with a class action lawsuit. I would force these marketing companies to provide an option for a paper ticket for no more than $20. Indeed, one of our own here is fighting this in their own mind as they are afraid of giving out too much personal info to too many entities, and that is a valid fear.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Am I seeing things or did some of the USFS reccommended hotels add $50 to their prices?
Looks like some of them did. Makes sense though. They don't put the whole hotel up at discounted rates (usually). I think it's just a block of rooms. Like at the Orleans last year, I booked immediately, and my friends who booked later paid double what I paid.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Looks like some of them did. Makes sense though. They don't put the whole hotel up at discounted rates (usually). I think it's just a block of rooms. Like at the Orleans last year, I booked immediately, and my friends who booked later paid double what I paid.
Yeah, I booked early at SA and got a good rate. If I was considering SA Norwood, I would have booked a room straight away. I would love to be at Norwood for my Japanese and Korean skaters for sure...but right now, it looks like a north of $2300 trip. I can afford that although I dont need the hassel of what the airlines do to you and the added transporation hassels....I am pretty sure Mirai isnt going to drive me to and from the airport. Hummm....for that money I could be on a cruise for a week and find lots of Asians who will actually TALK to me! aaa flowers.jpgaaa susie.jpgaaa young lady.jpgIMG_20200122_102437181.jpg

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
And the pre-sale just went live. If any of you are going, let us know how the procedure to purchase works. In the early part of this century, you went to a map, hovered over the seat....a price would appear...you clicked on the seat...boom. Done. Gave them your Credit card number...tickets were shipped a few weeks in advance of the event. IIrc at times there was even a special fancy shmansy all event ticket...one ticket....you could put on a lanyard or in a lanyard pouch....none of this downloading 15 tickets into a "wallet" business....and making 15 screen shots.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Glad apgold had told us to create an account with Skating Club of Boston. I did that yesterday. I bought my tickets in probably less than 5 minutes. Very easy procedure. You had 3 options with your tickets -- have them sent to your phone, have a PDF sent to your email to print the tickets out, you could also choose to print some events / send some events to your phone. I chose the print at home. I bought 2 all-event tickets, Service charge was a grand total of $35 for the order, which I didn't think was too bad.

Good luck! Now if they could just have some kind of shuttle.

Adding: I noticed some front row seats were already purchased (no big surprise there). I bought Section 102, 9th row...Some of the tickets show start times of 8 or 9am. I'm going to assume the schedule is not really set up yet. 8 am Eastern time could feel pretty early to this CST night owl.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Glad apgold had told us to create an account with Skating Club of Boston. I did that yesterday. I bought my tickets in probably less than 5 minutes. Very easy procedure. You had 3 options with your tickets -- have them sent to your phone, have a PDF sent to your email to print the tickets out, you could also choose to print some events / send some events to your phone. I chose the print at home. I bought 2 all-event tickets, Service charge was a grand total of $35 for the order, which I didn't think was too bad.

Good luck! Now if they could just have some kind of shuttle.

Adding: I noticed some front row seats were already purchased (no big surprise there). I bought Section 102, 9th row...Some of the tickets show start times of 8 or 9am. I'm going to assume the schedule is not really set up yet. 8 am Eastern time could feel pretty early to this night owl.
Thanks! I would have taken the PDF version and just had it on my two fones and printed out the tickets. Easy peasy. My proof of VAX/Boost with the state of WA is like that. I go to a website, ask for my proof of vax, and I get a big ole QR code and each vax and each boost with the date and lot number. I wonder how much Google pay and iWallet pay Tickets west to "force" people to use their product????? I am so old I remember when there were no commercials on the Jumbo tron...or at gas pumps....can bathrooms be far behind? :mad: