2022 Skate Canada: Info & Pregame Chat | Golden Skate

2022 Skate Canada: Info & Pregame Chat

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2022 Skate Canada is the second event of the 2022-23 Grand Prix series and is scheduled to take place Oct. 28-30, 2022, in Mississauga, ON, Canada, at Paramount Fine Foods Centre. The ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series consists of six international senior invitational events and culminates with the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final in December in Torino, Italy.
The Skaters are selected and invited to the six Grand Prix of Figure Skating events based on the results of the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2022. Skaters/Couples who have placed 1 to 6 in each of the four categories are seeded and assigned to two events. Skaters/ Couples who have placed 7-12 at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships are selected for two ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events, and Skaters with a top 24 Seasonal Best Scores (from the 2021/22 season) as well as those placed in the top 24 of the ISU World Standings can also be invited. If available, medalists from the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships can also be selected.

In order for a Skater/Couple to be eligible to compete at an ISU Grand Prix event, a minimum total score must have been achieved in the 2021/22 or current 2022/23 season at an ISU event (Grand Prix, Junior Grand Prix, Championships) or a Challenger Series event. Exceptions apply to host country Skaters, previously ranked Skaters or split ranked Couples who return with new partners. The minimum total score is 3/5 of highest score per discipline at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2022 and are as follows: Women: 141.65, Men: 187.49, Pairs: 132.65, Ice Dance: 137.89

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So, is anyone able to give some hotel advice? I see online that the closest hotel is the Hilton Garden Inn on 100 Traders Blvd.. It shows both 1.1 and 1.3 miles from the arena. I attended Skate Canada in 2016, and the event was at the same arena (although I believe it was called the Hershey Center then). It was REALLY difficult without a car. Taking a cab TO the arena (or walking if the weather is nice) will not be a problem. Afterwards was a nightmare. Even if you called a cab or Uber, with the monumental traffic jams afterwards, it was impossible. I finally "glommed" onto some people who let me get in their cab, even though they were going to a different hotel.

I was trying to dig up some public transit info but didn't see anything.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So, is anyone able to give some hotel advice? I see online that the closest hotel is the Hilton Garden Inn on 100 Traders Blvd.. It shows both 1.1 and 1.3 miles from the arena. I attended Skate Canada in 2016, and the event was at the same arena (although I believe it was called the Hershey Center then). It was REALLY difficult without a car. Taking a cab TO the arena (or walking if the weather is nice) will not be a problem. Afterwards was a nightmare. Even if you called a cab or Uber, with the monumental traffic jams afterwards, it was impossible. I finally "glommed" onto some people who let me get in their cab, even though they were going to a different hotel.

I was trying to dig up some public transit info but didn't see anything.
I don't have any hotel advice (I tend to stay in Airbnbs when I travel anyway), but I have found a little info on the transit system! It's called MiWay Transit and appears to consist of bus routes. There is a bus stop at the Paramount Fine Foods Centre, and it's serviced by the 39 Brittania route at the Rose Cherry Place and Paramount Centre stop. Not sure how well it connects to the airport or other locations in the area, but I'll keep on investigating. 🕵️‍♀️

Edit: Looks like the 7 bus that connects to the airport also connects to the 39 at the corner of Matheson Blvd and Explorer Drive.

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I spoke to the receptionist at the Hilton Garden Inn today, and he said it is right around a 2 kilometer walk. Hopefully the weather will be decent. After sitting in arena seats all day, a walk actually feels good. I am very happy now that I am all set with my all-event ticket, hotel,and flight.

yuumagical

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Important info for international travelers:

Anyone entering Canada must have the ArriveCAN app downloaded onto their smartphone. One has to enter their travel information and Covid vaccination information into it (among other things) within 72 hours before boarding their flight to Canada. Sadly, I don't think there's an option for people who don’t use smartphones...

Edit: Canada is also currently doing random Covid testing on fully vaccinated travelers (as well as mandatory testing before flying for unvaccinated travelers).

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^Ugh! Oh well, we'll see what happens between now and October. I wonder how many times things will change before then!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Anyone entering Canada must have the ArriveCAN app downloaded onto their smartphone. One has to enter their travel information and Covid vaccination information into it (among other things) within 72 hours before boarding their flight to Canada. Sadly, I don't think there's an option for people who don’t use smartphones...
There's also a website. My daughter did it via computer for my husband and me and she did have some problems. Initially, it was asking questions but there was nowhere to fill in the answers! She signed out and back in again and entry boxes appeared.

When you finish filling in arriveCan, you get a receipt. We actually printed it out (at a public library) so we wouldn't have to fumble with devices at the airports. People entering Canada together can do a single arriveCan event (with added travellers), so one receipt can cover multiple people.

When filling in arriveCan you'll need to attach your immunization information, so get it downloaded or scan/photgraph it. You can attach multiple files if your shots are on multiple pieces of paper/records.

One thing arriveCan didn't ask for was our test results (required at the time). So you don't have to wait for those (if applicable) to start filling in arriveCan.

yuumagical

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I spoke to the receptionist at the Hilton Garden Inn today, and he said it is right around a 2 kilometer walk. Hopefully the weather will be decent. After sitting in arena seats all day, a walk actually feels good. I am very happy now that I am all set with my all-event ticket, hotel,and flight.
Glad to hear that you have gotten everything settled! As for me, I still haven't decided whether to go or not, and hearing about the current situation at the Toronto Airport isn't helping matters...I really hope the situation actually gets better by Labor Day. :(

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Glad to hear that you have gotten everything settled! As for me, I still haven't decided whether to go or not, and hearing about the current situation at the Toronto Airport isn't helping matters...I really hope the situation actually gets better by Labor Day. :(
I was overseas in June. 4 of the 27 people's luggage didn't arrive at our destination. 2 got their bags 3 days later. 2 NEVER got their bags for the entire 11 day trip. I'm sure this is just one horror story of many. Once school is back in session in the fall, I think things will improve.

Last edited:

ChristineB

On the Ice
You and I are in the same boat. I purchased my all-event ticket and am flying up from NYC, but I will not have a car. Also staying at the Hilton Garden Inn on Traders. I found a cab service that allows for pre-booking in advance, which I'm hoping will cut down on some of the hassles when trying to exit the arena. Happy to share my ride in either direction.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You and I are in the same boat. I purchased my all-event ticket and am flying up from NYC, but I will not have a car. Also staying at the Hilton Garden Inn on Traders. I found a cab service that allows for pre-booking in advance, which I'm hoping will cut down on some of the hassles when trying to exit the arena. Happy to share my ride in either direction.
Oh, that's fantastic! Sounds like a plan. Happy to share expenses. Thx for the info!

yuumagical

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm glad to say that I have finally confirmed my flight and Airbnb reservations for Skate Canada. 😊 It also appears that my tickets will be transferred to me by the beginning of September. (It's a Ticketmaster issue, not an issue with the seller.) My location will be close enough to walk or take a bus to the arena (though I won't be able to invite any of you over for wild parties afterwards if Shoma wins 😆).

I'll have a free day to explore the Toronto area on Wednesday. I'd love to hear your suggestions as to where I should visit.

At the moment, I'm pondering this FAQ on the Skate Canada website:

If I have a gift for an athlete, how do I get it to them?
It is not permitted to throw any items on the ice at this time.
This response is slightly annoying due to not fully answering the question. Obviously, I won't be able to throw stuff on the ice, but this doesn't preclude the possibility of there being a large gift box for people in the arena to place skater gifts into. I know I saw one at Skate Canada 2019... Time to email Skate Canada and ask them about it...

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I'm glad to say that I have finally confirmed my flight and Airbnb reservations for Skate Canada. 😊 It also appears that my tickets will be transferred to me by the beginning of September. (It's a Ticketmaster issue, not an issue with the seller.) My location will be close enough to walk or take a bus to the arena (though I won't be able to invite any of you over for wild parties afterwards if Shoma wins 😆).

I'll have a free day to explore the Toronto area on Wednesday. I'd love to hear your suggestions as to where I should visit.

At the moment, I'm pondering this FAQ on the Skate Canada website:

This response is slightly annoying due to not fully answering the question. Obviously, I won't be able to throw stuff on the ice, but this doesn't preclude the possibility of there being a large gift box for people in the arena to place skater gifts into. I know I saw one at Skate Canada 2019... Time to email Skate Canada and ask them about it...
I am saving all the stuffies for JWC then. They gotta have a box for kids at least, lol

yuumagical

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am saving all the stuffies for JWC then. They gotta have a box for kids at least, lol
I agree, kids deserve a skater gift box too! 😁 However, I'm not ruling out the possibility of a senior skater gift box unless I get a response denying it from Skate Canada. In the meantime, we'll just have to wait and see...

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree, kids deserve a skater gift box too! 😁 However, I'm not ruling out the possibility of a senior skater gift box unless I get a response denying it from Skate Canada. In the meantime, we'll just have to wait and see...
Did you get a response regarding a box for skater gifts? I just wrote to them too, hoping if they hear from a few people, maybe they'll consider it. After all, I still have the skater gifts I bought for Worlds 2020. LOL.

yuumagical

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did you get a response regarding a box for skater gifts? I just wrote to them too, hoping if they hear from a few people, maybe they'll consider it. After all, I still have the skater gifts I bought for Worlds 2020. LOL.
I did get a response within a few days of sending the email...but the representative told me I had sent my question to the wrong email address. I then sent my question to the email address she indicated ([email protected]), but I haven't received any response from that email... 🤦‍♀️

So at this point in time, I'm thinking more about gifts to give to fans than gifts to give to skaters. I wonder if you have any special fan gifts planned this year... ;)

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So at this point in time, I'm thinking more about gifts to give to fans than gifts to give to skaters. I wonder if you have any special fan gifts planned this year... ;)
I still have some of the Shoma buttons I passed out at Worlds, so for sure I will be bringing those. Other than that, I hadn't planned on anything.

ChristineB

On the Ice
Has anyone been able to view/print their tickets yet? I thought these were delayed until 8/31...