2022 Skate Canada International location announced (Mississauga, Ont.) | Golden Skate

2022 Skate Canada International location announced (Mississauga, Ont.)

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States

OTTAWA, ON: Skate Canada has announced that Mississauga, ON, will host the 2022 Skate Canada International. The event will take place at Paramount Fine Foods Centre from October 28-30, 2022. Skate Canada International is the second competition in the annual International Skating Union (ISU) Grand Prix of Figure Skating series.
“Skate Canada is looking forward to welcoming fans back to Skate Canada International for the 2022-23 grand prix season. This October, Mississauga will host some of the best skaters from around the world as they compete for valuable points on the grand prix circuit,” said Debra Armstrong, Chief Executive Officer, Skate Canada. “We are thrilled to be working with long-time figure skating supporters, the city of Mississauga and Paramount Fine Foods Centre to deliver this event for all participants and fans to enjoy.”

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since I'm going to Skate America in MA, I won't be able to afford back to back trips up to the Toronto area. I did go in 2016 - the venue is nice but it's another desert when it comes to food and public transportation. You need an Uber/Lyft or rent a car.

Some nice AirBnB's in downtown area near the Square One Mall - where I saw Meagan and her hubby Bruno shopping at Whole Foods, lol.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Since I'm going to Skate America in MA, I won't be able to afford back to back trips up to the Toronto area. I did go in 2016 - the venue is nice but it's another desert when it comes to food and public transportation. You need an Uber/Lyft or rent a car.

Some nice AirBnB's in downtown area near the Square One Mall - where I saw Meagan and her hubby Bruno shopping at Whole Foods, lol.
I checked a few times that I got the right place (hope so!), and I think there are three hotels next to one-another 2 clicks away (so about 20 min walking without crossing the crazy highways or 8 min by bus). The problem is bus runs every 30 min, so this sucks, but I hope walking works out. There is Tim Hortons nearby. Sandman is a bit closer even, but it’s on the same bust route and o think one needs to cross the highway.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, I do recall a bus route nearby but Ubers were relatively cheap (around $10CA) in 2016 and much faster to downtown.

Plus the weather was very unpredictable in late October, some days were freezing and then 50 degrees F. Waiting for a bus in freezing weather is not fun.

Last edited:

b-man

Final Flight
I went to Mississauga in 2011 and 2016. Much closer than SA for me, so will consider a 3rd trip to SC.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is this the same venue as 2016? I was there, and this looks different to me.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh boy. That wasn't a good location. I remember I didn't have a cell phone at the time. I had to glom onto some people and get in their cab. Traffic jam after the events was terrible. Seems like I stayed at the Fairfield Suites if I remember right.

Last edited:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Does anyone know if there will be day tickets released closer to the time, or even just tickets to watch the practice sessions alone?

The only other ISU competition I've ever attended was one day of a Challenger and I preferred the practice sessions over the actual event (it was fun to spot skaters doing their own things in different bits of the rink, like a Where's Wally tableau...)

janetliz

Rinkside
There should be single event tickets available close to the time of the event. I think that, before Covid, it was possible to get a practice ticket for the Thursday, but I can’t remember for sure. I am actually considering that, because I am not sure if I will be comfortable with a crowd by October, combined with the fact that I am not allowed to use vacation time in Oct/Nov/Dec.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Oh boy. That wasn't a good location. I remember I didn't have a cell phone at the time. I had to glom onto some people and get in their cab. Traffic jam after the events was terrible. Seems like I stayed at the Fairfield Suites if I remember right.
I had a similar experience at that same event, yeah. Everyone was fighting for cabs and the hotel options were cheap but the food situation was incredibly bad.