2022 Skate Canada Women's Free Skate | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2022 Skate Canada Women's Free Skate

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
FWIW I thought the underrotation calls in this competition were not surprising, nor were they selectively applied, so I'm totally fine with the placements. Young's 3A did look like a potential downgrade to me.
I totally agree.

mrrice

Record Breaker
You mean "without a little 'Boost' from the team doctor, I think?

And think of the skaters who were injured and out of competition for a year or more, because they tried to step up and compete by learning the harder jumps without that 'Boost'. Rika and Bradie to name two. Who knows how many skaters' honest training has been compromised or hurt.
Yes I do....Sorry. What some people don't really understand about Steroids, and the reason that dancers ( Including Me ) took them. They speed up the recovery time from any muscle injury you may suffer. I had a VERY painful hip flexor tear. They sent me to the doctor who injected steroids directly in to the muscle. He gave our director 3 more injections which I took once a week and they truly work. I'd say they cut the recovery time in half. It wasn't illegal for us but, I can see why these athletes are willing to risk it. The also helped with Stamina, you could really push hard through a rehearsal and that was a big deal for all of us. In a competitive environment, they are a HUGE advantage and that's why they're illegal.

Last edited:

karlowens2

On the Ice
I don't think I've seen Starr skate better than she has in this GP - she's been on fire in both programmes. Beautiful musicality - that 3Lo-2T was the most notable element in terms of its timing, but she was right on the musical accents with the choreographic details throughout the programme - and her spin before it, think it was the change foot combination spin, was fantastic. And yes, Starr did it! What a wonderful skate she had! And that reaction to her new personal best!
I was surprised as everyone seems to be. Rewatched a few times. Only concern? Did she mule kick the flip in the combo? As she adds more challenging content she needs to get that out of there - it it's there.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I was surprised as everyone seems to be. Rewatched a few times. Only concern? Did she mule kick the flip in the combo? As she adds more challenging content she needs to get that out of there - it it's there.
I don't think she will add any content. This content is the most technical we have ever seen from her over the years. It's a pity that it is 80s level content.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do you really think that skaters get stirred to skate so well in the LP when they get a tech call in the SP? Skaters are smarter than that and used to just do the best they can. They work on controlling what they can control and are taught not to be distracted by such things, out of their control. The reason why some did so much better in the LP is that a tech call will hurt much harsher in the SP.. with only 3 jumping passes.. The SP needs to be skated clean. That's all... in the LP, there is a bit more room. I thought this was common knowledge.

Regarding the reason why Gabby didn't do so well in the LP.. You said it yourself a couple pages before... You said that Gabby has always been stronger in the SP than in the LP. So that's not backfiring is it? Gabby has trouble with her flip jumps... always has... when she has landed it, she's usually has had a better LP... when it falls apart, she sometimes loses her timing. This being said, I believe that this was just what was to be expected from a woman who just suffered a severe car accident... After all she has been troubled with the last few years, Gabby had a great event. Her 3t-3t is as good as ever... when she came back last year, even her trademark combo was off... I find this very encouraging for her and her fans.... I guess you are not a fan :) that's okay.

Madeline is not used to lead after the LP. She got distracted. She had the class not to blame the plastic tube for her misfortune. She had two fabulous combos to start the event.. perhaps some of the finest combos of the weekend. Then, it's clear she got distracted when she started landing on two feet and forward... Yet, she didn't complain and said she needed to prepare better to compete as a contender, which is new for her.

Do you really want to open the tech panel can of worms???? Because some people (not me) here complain about Starr winning a silver medal, yet she's the one who didn't get much impacted by tech calls from Mr Goldstein. (from USA)

I prefer to leave it at that. YMMV.
Gabby turns 25 in January. If she hasn't gotten her jumps in order by now, it probably isn't ever going to happen. Gabby's 3t+3t
was good in the SP, but her 3z looked short and should have gotten a q. The tech team was generous with < and q for all the other competitors in the SP.

And why blame Goldstein? There was another TS---Fedronic, and the TC was Soos.

Maddie has her FS problems too. She seems to lose concentration from the middle of her FS on.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Gabby turns 25 in January. If she hasn't gotten her jumps in order by now, it probably isn't ever going to happen. Gabby's 3t+3t
was good in the SP, but her 3z looked short and should have gotten a q. The tech team was generous with < and q for all the other competitors in the SP.

And why blame Goldstein? There was another TS---Fedronic, and the TC was Soos.

Maddie has her FS problems too. She seems to lose concentration from the middle of her FS on.
Whether or not Gabby retrieves her top shape is one thing... but it's up to her to decide when she's done with the sport.
Some mentioned Goldstein because he wasn't on the men's tech panel and there were way less calls... .
Regarding Maddie, she has skated good LPs before. She knows what she needs to do and I trust she will do it. I am not one to focus on the negatives when it comes to Canadian women in figure skating.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
It's a pity that it is 80s level content. This is absolutely untrue!!!!! Have a look at Michelle's 2005 Nationals winning LP. Michelle was a beautiful artist but, I think a clean Starr would have beaten this program. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqSNB8ZdO-M
Are you exposing how technically weak Michelle were?:ROFLMAO:

What I meant with 80s content is that it is Lutz free.
In the early 80s, only Denise Biellmann did the 3Lz, but by the 90s, the Lutz became standard to have in your arsenal for the top women (even if some of the women, you know who you are, were Flutzing).

macy

Record Breaker
i wasn't able to watch the FS (and probably won't ever since no replays anywhere), but i was reading recaps on reddit and someone commented about Starr's heart problem and medical procedure, and she is a totally different skater now that she's healthy and actually has stamina. i completely agree, i think that changed Starr's skating completely and i think she'll be able to add in more difficult content down the road now that she can actually train.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

In the early 80s, only Denise Biellmann did the 3Lz, but by the 90s, the Lutz became standard to have in your arsenal for the top women (even if some of the women, you know who you are, were Flutzing).
Michelle always had lutz and flip in her programs. There were comparisons in the press of Tara Lipinski's flutz and Michelle's clean lutz that left Tara's mom apoplectic. But by Nationals 2005, Michelle had been suffering from severe pain due to a chronic hip problem and she wasn't able to do the same fully-loaded programs she'd been doing earlier in her career. In 2006, after an aborted Olympic trip, she had surgery to correct the hip problem, but she never returned to competitive skating afterwards, instead focused on education.

mrrice

Record Breaker

If we're going back that far we might as well include the queen herself....Count the number 3toes she does here. This program is what began the push for the "Zayak" rule. Elaine Zayak https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHLZfJiAvb0

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Yes I do....Sorry. What some people don't really understand about Steroids, and the reason that dancers ( Including Me ) took them. They speed up the recovery time from any muscle injury you may suffer. I had a VERY painful hip flexor tear. They sent me to the doctor who injected steroids directly in to the muscle. He gave our director 3 more injections which I took once a week and they truly work. I'd say they cut the recovery time in half. It wasn't illegal for us but, I can see why these athletes are willing to risk it. The also helped with Stamina, you could really push hard through a rehearsal and that was a big deal for all of us. In a competitive environment, they are a HUGE advantage and that's why they're illegal.
That sounds awful! A reason why they are prohibited is also the grave side effects.

To be clear, Valieva didn’t test positive for a steroid. Trimetazidin is classified as a metabolic modulator on the doping list.

Laura Barquer(pair skater for Spain) was caught at the olympics after the short program with clostebol, which is an anabolic androgenic steroid.