2022 U.S. Championships: Junior Men's Short Program | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2022 U.S. Championships: Junior Men's Short Program

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nhat Viet was so happy when he landed that one jump, and then stumbled in the steps. But I love a commitment to an Ina Bauer/spreadeagle.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Haven't the junior men always had such a range? particularly when 14 year olds are competing against 19 year olds, as they always have. Frankly I never watched Novice so I would have missed a joyful skater like Antonio.

Why I love the junior men:)

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Bummer. This was a very underwhelming competition. I'm not seeing any "whole package" junior men skaters here. There are some reasonably artistic guys with unreliable jumps. Two or three decent jumpers but weaker on other skills and/or expression. In recent years, the USA had an embarrassment of riches at this level, but there seems to be a drought coming down the pipeline. Maybe COVID impact is taking a toll on training. At any rate, US coaches have their work cut out for them, to get these guys or the novices ready for top international competition.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
Bummer. This was a very underwhelming competition. I'm not seeing any "whole package" junior men skaters here. There are some reasonably artistic guys with unreliable jumps. Two or three decent jumpers but weaker on other skills and/or expression. In recent years, the USA had an embarrassment of riches at this level, but there seems to be a drought coming down the pipeline. US coaches have their work cut out for them.
Two of the best in that regard weren't here.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Two of the best in that regard weren't here.
Which two?
ETA: Broussard and Nielsen? I'd agree they are pretty good and definitely were missed at this competition, but after seeing them on the JGP, I'd still say they are still pretty rough around the edges and not soup yet.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Haven't the junior men always had such a range? particularly when 14 year olds are competing against 19 year olds, as they always have. Frankly I never watched Novice so I would have missed a joyful skater like Antonio.

Why I love the junior men:)
So many new favorites!

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Dance next but not watching. I'll miss the Browns too much.
And Flores/Tsarevski, who are (were?) first rate as well; but we still have Ling/Wein and Carhart/Horovyi (sp) who are well worth watching. Dance is undoubtedly the second-deepest US discipline, lots of talented skaters!

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Personally, I don't want to see someone who is completely polished, those juniors will skate senior.

I like seeing the wide variety and seeing who I will remember (or not) ten years from now. No 15 year old boy needs to be complete. He just needs to be on the way.:) (ETA: And the older ones are also on the way. I'm not looking for the next Nathan Chen, although I would love the next Jason Brown ;). I just want someone whose journey I can follow with interest)