2022 U.S. Nationals: Women's Free Skate | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2022 U.S. Nationals: Women's Free Skate

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think if Isabeau skated PCS wise anywhere near the Russian girls she gets compared to she would have taken it. Or landed a quad/3A.

I find the lack of speed, telegraphing, and wonkiness on the jumps too hard to ignore. That’s IMO why they aren’t hyping her as much.
She is very good and had the best highest technical content. But she skated very deliberately—cautiously, even. In an Olympic year, a junior would have to be phenomenal to outscore a likely team member. It is actually a good thing for her to fly under the radar until she moves up to seniors. She has a bright future.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Given that Amber’s Sp was performed while she was infected with Covid, I wonder if she will petition and be named as an alternate. Her 201 from Skate America is higher than Lindsey’s season scores and I think she is a much more developed skater. I don’t see Lindsey faring very well at the Olympics this time even if she is completely clean compared to a ladies field with much better skating skills. I see her losing to skaters like Hendrickx, Kawabe, Kurakova, Gubanova, Petrokiina/Kiibus. Possibly Shabatova, Safonova, and Ryabova.

If Alysa and K/F will have the opportunity to petition and perform for a committee then surely she could as well.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
I’m going to be honest I feel like a sloppy Sasha and Anna in her current form should be beatable and I like both of them. The other ladies just never rise to the occasion. Every time they make mistakes so does everyone else.
Yup! It feels like when they do make a mistake and leave the door open, other skaters then go on without 3-3s or fall on solo triple jumps!!!!

I don't buy into the "Quads have killed figure skating these days".

Quads ain't killing anything if you're falling on your triples!!!

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, also I think her bad skate here may have been due to stage fright. She actually looked like she was about to cry before the skate started. If she is that afraid at Nationals, what would the Olympics be like? I'm sure there will be a large local Chinese audience. She needs more time to get used to performing in front of crowds. As a shy person myself, I understand her feelings. My heart when out to her when I saw her face before her program started. No everyone naturally likes to be the center of attention.
Agree mostly, except she didn’t have a bad skate. It just lack the spark that makes a performance memorable.

rain

Record Breaker
So I just finished watching the women's FS and I have to say I agreed with the order of finish.

Mariah had a step-out and didn't do the triple-triple. But she had an incredible emotional performance.

Karen visibly underrotated, in real time, several of her jumps. And her performance was lovely, but to me, lacked the emotional punch of Mariah's.

rain

Record Breaker
Given that Amber’s Sp was performed while she was infected with Covid, I wonder if she will petition and be named as an alternate. Her 201 from Skate America is higher than Lindsey’s season scores and I think she is a much more developed skater. I don’t see Lindsey faring very well at the Olympics this time even if she is completely clean compared to a ladies field with much better skating skills.
I would if I was her. Having COVID is a pretty decent reason not to skate up to par. I actually do think the USFS should consider her for an alternate spot.

amc987

On the Ice
I think the result was right. Mariah was better technically and had a real emotional connection to her music. Karen's program is more classically beautiful, but it fell a bit flat; and those underrotations did her no favors. They both looked very nervous, which is understandable. But I wish both had skated more authoritatively and seized the moment.

Isabeau Levito has a lot of promise and polish. It'll be interesting to see whether she develops more musically and is able to portray a character more fully. I also wonder whether she's going to be able to compete technically when she turns senior.

I'm sorry Gracie didn't get the perfect ending a lot of us wanted her to have. I was just hoping she'd go out and nail everything and skate off into the sunset. Whether she continues or not, I'm glad I got to watch her compete, and I admire her resilience and perseverance. She's inspiring.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
What will be interesting is to see who they will send to compete in the Olympic Team Event. This is where a medal can be won. To me, all three of them are equal now and I’m not sure how this decision will be made.
I would say Karen is 100% out of contention for the team event. She didn't win the SP or the LP here. She has the lowest international season's best score of the three (even if you include her Worlds score from last season). Based on scores this season it should be Alysa doing both segments, but I could see the USFSA also deciding to give the national champion an opportunity there.

wakuwaku

On the Ice
Country
Latvia
After RusNat seeing this competition is like riding in time machine to 20 years ago. Very low level tbh - with only top 3 worthy to watch. Why people there were so excited about just 3-3 combinations - with bad landings to boot? And why skaters are preparing to mere triples so long like it's a quad or something? And the only skater who tried to match music more or less decently with their moves was maybe Levito.. for all others it's just background for making elements. It was typical standart in old skating though - which is why it reminded me so much that outdated style.
Still, even local judges are realizing that already. Even with national inflated scores - there wasn't any skater who could get 70 PCS. That says a lot. What could prevent American judges to support their top skaters in PCS? Nothing. It would be natural thing to do for any country, right?

P.S.: sorry if my post can be seen as obnoxious or insulting. It isn't my intention at all. I am just disappointed and expected higher level after somewhat decent short. I would be glad if there can be more tight competition internationally between countries in ladies. It would be more interesting, right? But the gap is just astronomically big. I mean US Champion would be only 9th at RusNat - it's just.. makes you realize it.
Alas, it seems the Russian women main rival this season will be Covid - not other skaters.

P.P.S.: I watched Olympic Channel stream where commentator's exhilaration about sloppy skates and elements coupled with similar audience reaction made the whole competition looking somewhat like a farce. I mean - why people are so glad with so low scores? Maybe NBC stream was different, idk. And I didn't read the thread yet - sorry, if comparison with Russians was discussed millionth time already )

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
So sad about Amber- she was focused and so successful in warmups earlier today. She looked poised to skate a clean free to me.
Covid shows no mercy but lets get real Amber skating clean in the fs was unlikely.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Coming up in maybe twenty-thirty minutes? Keegan, Nam, Roman and company are all warming up right now.
My heart is with Nam. He seems so broken. I feared he would just give up. I hope they can send the third male to worlds. All three over the last few years have deserved opportunities. Life isn't fair but remember the underdog Nam was chosen for 2020 worlds and didn't get to go. SO I am cheering for these three sorry Conrad. But the US ladies what drama! And a bit of anticlimatic with Gracie going back to skating like her struggling self but good on her

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yup! It feels like when they do make a mistake and leave the door open, other skaters then go on without 3-3s or fall on solo triple jumps!!!!

I don't buy into the "Quads have killed figure skating these days".

Quads ain't killing anything if you're falling on your triples!!!
Yes. I agree. A lady with only triples can still compete and podium at the biggest events. Look at Anna, she didn’t land a quad and still won Worlds last year and would have won even if you take out the points from the Quad fall. A skater similar to Zagitova with no ultra-c element, is still capable of scoring 230+ internationally and making the podium at Olympics and Worlds. They just have to concentrate on landing the triples, like you said.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Alysa, Mariah and Karen are going to Beijing unless their main competitor knocks them out - Covid. The first alternate has a reasonable chance of going to worlds I guess. Alysa on BOW is in. Now the US might find it harder to decide which ladies or lady skates team.

ScattyKatty

Rinkside
She wasn’t going to make the Olympic team. She’s only 15. She will have other chances.

She’s actually 16. Only 4 months younger than Alysa. I knew she wouldn’t make the team. She should have gone senior this year, but didn’t have the guts. Yes there was Polina, but you really can’t expect to go from juniors straight to the Olympics. Especially when you package yourself like a junior still.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Well, this was a troubled event. Grats to Bell. Imo, the sooner US invests into the Liu-Levito-Thorngren trio, the better. The stability is visibly lacking across the field and there seems to be a lack of focus on anything… like, there is no rhyme or reason to US women as a field. They all just try to eek things out or something.

Last edited:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Well, this was a troubled event. Grats to Bell. Imo, the sooner US invests into the Liu-Levito-Thorngren trio, the better. The stability is visibly lacking across the field and there seems to be a lack of focus on anything… like, there is no rhyme or reason to US women as a field. They all just try to eek things out or something.
That's very much how I feel too. I'm not going to allow myself to get completely sad over this event I just watched, so I am focusing on the human interest aspect (because world class competitive quality of skating just is NOT there anymore sadly, it reminds me of Canadian ladies and JRo getting a stadium standing O at Nats for a 4 unsteady triple performance). Mariah has worked hard and her family has sacrificed so much for her skating. I don't think I'd ever just sell my house and live in an RV for years to support my kid's skating. So, I'm happy for her as a person. I'm happy she's headed to the Olympics. I'm happy she can show her ex that 'she will survive'. And she seems like she could be a sweet person. So good for her. I just can't get excited over her skating or the thought of her in the Team competition.....