2022 U.S. Nationals: Women's Free Skate | Page 37 | Golden Skate

2022 U.S. Nationals: Women's Free Skate

Greta

On the Ice
A few thoughts from the arena:

I’m torn on whether I hoped to see more 3-3s or whether I think it’s good that for the most part the women planned tech content that was doable for them. I really missed Alysa, Bradie, and Amber.

Mariah: The arena had filled up and the crowd was completely behind her. I thought her performance was lovely. I wasn’t constantly afraid that she would fall.

Karen: strong performer as always. URs were both visible and audible to me, which made me worry a little about whether she would stay on her feet. I love her spins and appreciate that she rarely looks like she’s struggling or reaching for the next position.

Isabeau: She seemed tighter to me tonight, with less flow and speed than yesterday. I think the program is also a little less successful than the short. Still really happy to see her doing well, and I hope she will work on her jump technique and continue working on skating skills. Can’t wait to keep seeing her!

Gabriella: Though this didn’t go perfectly, she has good power and attack. It’s lovely to watch in practices also. I also find that she has good control of her body- no random flailing!

Lindsey: Hard to see her looking so sad. Her programs are just not that engaging to me. With more attention to PCS she’ll be very strong next quad.

Gracie: skated into her intended opening combo with a lot of speed, and when it didn’t work for her it was rough. I hope she remains proud of her accomplishment for making it to nationals and skating the short well. Nothing but respect for how she has spoken out about her experiences.

Kate: she looks so relaxed on the ice! I enjoy not being tense and nervous, but we’re also excited to see her perform, and she didn’t seem to acknowledge that energy.

Jill: Please make it back to nationals so we can see more! I like her jump technique visually and the sincerity of her performance.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well, after re-watching the Ladies Free, I can't say enough how proud and happy I am for Mariah Bell. She has been close but, she waited a LONG time to win this championship. I know that without Alysa and Bradie, she was the favorite but, I worried that Isabeau might beat her. The second best thing about watching Mariah win is watching Adam Rippon and his excitement for her. Raf is always calm but, he may just come away with 2 National Champions after the Men's Free. Gracie's Free might not have been "Exactly" what she wanted but, I still see these Nationals as a real WIN for her. If she continues, this outing should get her some good GP assignments. Biggest, and I must say, happy surprise was Gabriella Izzo. She is skater I knew nothing about and she really had a great night.

So excited for the Men's event to begin. I love all the Men but, Nathan needs the momentum of a Win to carry him into Beijing. :pray::pray::pray:

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
There is a lot that could be said about the state of US women's skating and the fact that the winner of nationals didn't do a 3-3 in the free, but I'll just say Mariah Bell is national champion and I'm happy! The prettiest camel spin in the world won, and Kamila Valieva has never brought tears to my eyes like Mariah's joy last night did. So there!

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
She wasn’t going to make the Olympic team. She’s only 15. She will have other chances.
This was in reference to Lindsey, right? Lindsey is age-eligible for the Olympics. Isabeau is not.

The Olympic team is pretty straightforward at this point: Mariah, Karen, and Alysa.
Alternates are not quite as clear, but the next two age-eligible skaters should be on the list: Gabby and Lindsey. I think it's a toss-up between Audrey and Amber for the other alternate spot.

I think alternates really matter this year, more than usual, and they should all be training as if they too have already punched their ticket to Beijing. You just don't know who's going to have to withdraw at the very last minute.

I´m wondering how they are going to pick substitutes for OG, it´s more relevant than ever i´m afraid. And as it was discussed earlier I don´t think they can have the reserve go to 4CC, that would be risky if the substitute might end up catching covid in Tallinn or on the plane. But it´s really difficult, if you only get picked as reserve for the team and not a spot at 4CC, you could end up getting nothing.
This is a great point - USFS should not send the Olympic alternates to 4CC. They, like the athletes, should be assuming they're going to the Olympics too.

Remilia

On the Ice
I hope Alysa gets some counseling before the Olympics. She's not in a good space right now. That movement with her arms at the end of her short like she was a teapot or something, instead of bowing....I guess she was trying to be funny.
She was making a heart to send love to the audience and her fans...Some of you really need to chill with the hyper speculation into Alysa's mental state and inner thoughts. I understand the concern, and I am a bit worried about her too, but there's no need to try and find a deeper meaning in everything she does.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This was in reference to Lindsey, right? Lindsey is age-eligible for the Olympics. Isabeau is not.

The Olympic team is pretty straightforward at this point: Mariah, Karen, and Alysa.
Alternates are not quite as clear, but the next two age-eligible skaters should be on the list: Gabby and Lindsey. I think it's a toss-up between Audrey and Amber for the other alternate spot.

I think alternates really matter this year, more than usual, and they should all be training as if they too have already punched their ticket to Beijing. You just don't know who's going to have to withdraw at the very last minute.

This is a great point - USFS should not send the Olympic alternates to 4CC. They, like the athletes, should be assuming they're going to the Olympics too.
It is I think clear and easy for the USFA to choose the olympic team Mariah, Karen and Alysa - who should skate the team event is another story. I agree about the alteernates of Gabby and Lindsey. Not sure about the third. I think though it is okay to send the alternates to 4cc's or at least the second and third and give the first a choice.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
There is a lot that could be said about the state of US women's skating and the fact that the winner of nationals didn't do a 3-3 in the free, but I'll just say Mariah Bell is national champion and I'm happy! The prettiest camel spin in the world won, and Kamila Valieva has never brought tears to my eyes like Mariah's joy last night did. So there!
So proud of her.....You watch them grow and when the pressure is on, they come through. She always tried to come to the FOFS breakfasts and is very approachable and is a dog person.....what more could you ask?
Mariah 1.JPG

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
She was making a heart to send love to the audience and her fans...Some of you really need to chill with the hyper speculation into Alysa's mental state and inner thoughts. I understand the concern, and I am a bit worried about her too, but there's no need to try and find a deeper meaning in everything she does.
The young people keep coming up with new ways to do a heart. First it was drawing an air heart with their fingers, then the cup heart with their hands, then the hearts with crossed fingers (looks like their snapping, I think it came from Kpop) and this big heart like Alysa did with arms over head. I know I saw at least one other skater do it on their bow, but can't remember who.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
A few thoughts from the arena:

I’m torn on whether I hoped to see more 3-3s or whether I think it’s good that for the most part the women planned tech content that was doable for them. I really missed Alysa, Bradie, and Amber.

Mariah: The arena had filled up and the crowd was completely behind her. I thought her performance was lovely. I wasn’t constantly afraid that she would fall.

Karen: strong performer as always. URs were both visible and audible to me, which made me worry a little about whether she would stay on her feet. I love her spins and appreciate that she rarely looks like she’s struggling or reaching for the next position.

Isabeau: She seemed tighter to me tonight, with less flow and speed than yesterday. I think the program is also a little less successful than the short. Still really happy to see her doing well, and I hope she will work on her jump technique and continue working on skating skills. Can’t wait to keep seeing her!

Gabriella: Though this didn’t go perfectly, she has good power and attack. It’s lovely to watch in practices also. I also find that she has good control of her body- no random flailing!

Lindsey: Hard to see her looking so sad. Her programs are just not that engaging to me. With more attention to PCS she’ll be very strong next quad.

Gracie: skated into her intended opening combo with a lot of speed, and when it didn’t work for her it was rough. I hope she remains proud of her accomplishment for making it to nationals and skating the short well. Nothing but respect for how she has spoken out about her experiences.

Kate: she looks so relaxed on the ice! I enjoy not being tense and nervous, but we’re also excited to see her perform, and she didn’t seem to acknowledge that energy.

Jill: Please make it back to nationals so we can see more! I like her jump technique visually and the sincerity of her performance.
Thanks for your thoughts. I always like the perspective from the boots on the ground and also things for future reference, like call the whole foods store and see if they are open and what they are serving....the one in San Jose was heaven.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

Excuse my ignorance....but do alternates always travel with the main teams? China is a long ways away....

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Excuse my ignorance....but do alternates always travel with the main teams? China is a long ways away....
I don’t believe so. Emily Hughes was at home when Michelle withdrew and had to literally jump on a plane.
That was a long time ago though, and things may have changed.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I meant she was 15 and would have other chances, not that she wasn't eligible. It turns out, she's 16 and could have gone senior this year. If she wanted a shot at the Olympics, staying in juniors wasn't the way to do it.