2022 US Nationals - Member Chat | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2022 US Nationals - Member Chat

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I purchased all event tickets but I am not interested in the juniors so I am giving away my tickets to sessions 1-6 if anyone is interested. The seat is in section 117. I would assume the arena won't be to crowded for these early sessions so once inside you could probably sit somewhere even closer. If anyone is interested let me know which sessions you'd like and I'll mail the tickets.

A generous offer 👏, and I hope that someone will take you up on it.

(I do not yet have firm plans for Nashville, or else I myself would want to take you up on it. 🤭)

There may be a few more there for juniors this year, though! So many talented juniors on the rise, in all disciplines.

(y) I had a great time at my first Nationals in 2018 -- but I forever will regret :bang: that I did not attend the Junior competitions, except for Junior Men FS.

balabam

🥕🥕🌵🌵😈😀
Record Breaker
Country
Slovakia
Registration for all events closed in early September.
Of the upcoming five competitions, so far Fort Wayne and Alpharetta have published lists of athletes well in advance.
The Fort Wayne list was published many days ago -- it would not surprise me if there have been a couple of subsequent withdrawals that are not reflected there.
The more recent Alpharetta list is "as of Oct 10."

To see these two lists, look for the links on the individual USFS event pages.
The individual USFS event pages can be reached through the USFS Competition Central page for the entire series.

Update to my post from Sep 21:

Barring unforeseen changes, additional international assignments that now have been made for Senior Women and Men will mean that:

Nine Senior Women will qualify for Nats via Championship Series, because the quota of four international byes will be used up.
Levito, Thorngren, Andrews, and Shin will meet the requirements of three GP/JGP/Challenger competitions -- with Levito and Thorngren also now qualifying for JGPF.

It remains possible that one "extra" Senior Man will qualify for Nats via Championship Series.
So far, Malinin, Hiwatashi, and Pulkinen will meet the requirements for international byes -- with Malinin also now qualifying for JGPF.​

Top Total Scores After 3 of 8 Events

SENIOR WOMEN OVERALL (TOP 9 once all 8 comps done make Nationals- assuming top 2 for Pac, Mid, East included in that)

(byes- Tennell, Liu, Bell, Chen, Glenn, Levito, Thorngren, Andrews, Shin)
Gabriella Izzo 183
Starr Andrews 177
Hanna Harrell 171
Finley Hawk 164
Alena Budko 163
Wren Warne-Jacobsen 162
Sonja Hilmer 157
Maryn Pierce 156
Sierra Venetta 153
Maxine Bautista 148
Paige Rydberg 146.73
Courtney Hicks 146.21
Alex Evans 144

Yet to skate/score- Gracie Gold, Emilia Murdock, Heidi Munger, Rena Ikenishi, Ting Cui, Pooja Kalyan, Emily Zhang, Sarah Jung

SENIOR MEN OVERALL (Top 10 make Nationals, assuming top 2 for each of Pac, Mid, East included in that)
(byes- Chen Zhou Brown Naumov Paniot Tomoki Camden Malinin)
Eric Sjoberg 227
Liam Kapeikis 194
Sebastien Payannet 193
William Hubbart 184
Mitchell Friess 182
Jordan Moeller 171

Yet to skate/score- Emmanuel Savary, Jimmy Ma, Andrew Torgashev, Dinh Tran, Ryan Dunk, Eric Prober, Artur Dmitriev

JUNIOR WOMEN OVERALL (Top 15 make Nationals, assuming top 3 for each of Pac, Mid, East included in that)
Clare Seo 179
Mia Kalin 177
Josephine Lee 166
Soho Lee 164
Hannah Herrera 156
Elsa Cheng 154
Abigail Ross 152
Hannah Lofton 150
Kendall Erne 135
Ria Basu 133.98
Maria Platonova 133.72
Adele Zheng 133.03

yet to skate/score- Ava Ziegler, Kate Wang, Kanon Smith, Sarah Everhardt, Gwen Bloesch, Tamnhi Huynh

JUNIOR MEN OVERALL (TOP 15 make Nationals, assuming top 3 for each of Pac, Mid, East included in that)
Matthew Nielsen 194
Kai Kovar 190
Will Annis 175.98
Taira Shinohara 175.84
Beck Strommer 172
Maxim Zharkov 168.99
Michael Xie 168.30
Goku Endo 162
Daniel Borisov 150
Nhat-Viet Nguyen 149
Joseph Klein 148
Philip Baker 146

Yet to skate/score - Daniel Martynov, Lucas Broussard, Samuel Mindra, Jacob Sanchez

NOVICE MEN (top 3 make Nationals in Junior)
Antonio Monaco 149
Lake Liao 147
Vaclav Vasquez 139
Matthew Lin 133

NOVICE WOMEN (top 3 make Nationals in Junior)
Elyce Lin-Gracey 160
Sonia Baram 156
Phattaratida Kaneshige 154
Katie Shen 145

Still confused by rules as they are written. It is only theory now, but is JGPF spot (Thorngren, Levito) automatic qualifier for senior singles or you also need to be within top four international scores (excluding qualifiers via last championship)?

Example: Imagine there is one more skater with international bye, called Onemore and Andrews, Shin, Levito and Onemore have higher international score than Thorngren. Which rule will prevail in that situation?

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ok for the ladies..it is top 9 excluding those with byes, correct?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Ok for the ladies..it is top 9 excluding those with byes, correct?

For Senior Women without byes to Nats, the nine who will advance from Championship Series are those who have:

- The top two (2) total combined scores from each section;
- The next best top three (3) scores from the nation.​

Plus they must have scores that meet the tech minimums for SP and FS.

katymay

Medalist
For Senior Women without byes to Nats, the nine who will advance from Championship Series are those who have:

- The top two (2) total combined scores from each section;​

What are the tech mins. for US nationals? Seems like it has to add up to 75 or something.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Oh it’s so confusing. Unnecessarily so. So say Andrews and Bell have the top 2 scores from
a region. Then what happens?

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Oh it’s so confusing. Unnecessarily so.

I think that USFS has good intentions: To ensure representation of all sections -- while not "penalizing" anyone with a good score for being from a strong section.

As it happens:
Scores for Senior Women from Eastern section tend to be higher than for other sections.
If the rules were simplified just to "Top three from each section," it would be more difficult for some Senior Women from Eastern section to qualify for 2022 Nats.
Which I think perhaps would be of interest to you in particular. ;)

Katyaever

Rinkside
Is there a way to find out definitively who has byes to Nationals? I can’t find this info posted anywhere. I’m specifically interested in Junior ladies.

gkelly

Record Breaker
According to the selection document @ice_coverage posted in post 3 of this thread

Athletes who qualify for the same event at the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final per rule
2501 (A) (1);
-Athletes who are assigned to and compete at three (3) international assignments classified as a Junior
Grand Prix and or ISU Challenger Series event;
• Refer to the approved list of international competitions within this document.

Is there anyone who is competing junior at the national level who has qualified for the JGP final, or who has a mix of JGP and senior Challenger assinments for a total of three?

There are a couple of skaters for whom that is true and who plan to compete senior at Nationals, but as far as I know, no one who plans to compete junior. In which case, no juniors will qualify for a bye.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Is there a way to find out definitively who has byes to Nationals? I can’t find this info posted anywhere. I’m specifically interested in Junior ladies.

... Is there anyone who is competing junior at the national level who has qualified for the JGP final, or who has a mix of JGP and senior Challenger assinments for a total of three?

There are a couple of skaters for whom that is true and who plan to compete senior at Nationals, but as far as I know, no one who plans to compete junior. In which case, no juniors will qualify for a bye.

Fleshing out what gkelly said:

Levito and Thorngren are opting to use their byes to Nats to compete in the Senior category there.
The same is true for Malinin and Wolfkostin/Chen.

If the question is not limited to Women:
I feel sure that the Browns will opt to use their bye to Nats to compete in the Junior category there.
IIRC, they had stated that one of this season's goals is to win the U.S. Junior title.​

What are the tech mins. for US nationals? Seems like it has to add up to 75 or something.

Before getting to the numbers, a bit of "fine print:"

To meet the Senior tech minimums for 2022 Nats, scores must be from this season and from:
• "Any competition within the 2022 U.S. Figure Skating Championship Series presented by Toyota"
• "Any ISU competition"​
Per USFS Technical Notification 266 (from USFS members-only site).

I don't know whether "any ISU competition" would mean only GPs/GPF/JGPs/JGPF/Challengers??
Or ... whether it also would mean any international from the ISU calendar?? Including U.S. Classic, Lake Placid International, Cranberry Cup?
(I feel uncertain because only GPs/GPF/JGPs/JGPF/Challengers count toward international byes to 2022 Nats.)​

The two Senior minimums for each discipline do not need to be earned at the same competition. For 2022 Nats:
- Senior Men: SP 23.0 and FS 50.0
- Senior Women: SP 20.0 and FS 38.0
- Senior Dance: RD 22.0 and FD 43.0
- Senior Pairs: SP 20.0 and FS 37.0​

... So say Andrews and Bell have the top 2 scores from a region. Then what happens?

I believe that Championship Series results from anyone with a bye to 2022 Nats simply would be disregarded -- both in nationwide standings and in sectional standings -- when counting skaters who will advance to Nats.

ETA:
To be clear: I am talking about what will happen after the conclusion of the entire Championship Series.
*After the entire Series has concluded* and USFS is making its final/official tally of skaters who will advance to Nats, I believe that when looking at both nationwide standings and sectional standings, USFS simply will disregard Series results from skaters who already have byes to Nats.​

Last edited:

Katyaever

Rinkside
According to the selection document @ice_coverage posted in post 3 of this thread

Is there anyone who is competing junior at the national level who has qualified for the JGP final, or who has a mix of JGP and senior Challenger assinments for a total of three?

Not that I know of. All juniors who would qualify (to my knowledge) under these criteria are competing senior. However, the qualifying criteria seem to indicate that there are 3 spots that would be reserved for byes. So if no Junior women qualify, then does that mean that the total number of competitors would be reduced by 3? In other words, would there only be 3 from each section + 3 best scores nationwide +novice qualifiers? Or would these bye spots go to the “next best” 3?
USFSA has a standings page for Members but none are marked with byes on that list…

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... However, the qualifying criteria seem to indicate that there are 3 spots that would be reserved for byes. So if no Junior women qualify, then does that mean that the total number of competitors would be reduced by 3? In other words, would there only be 3 from each section + 3 best scores nationwide +novice qualifiers? Or would these bye spots go to the “next best” 3? ...

Repeating from Post #3 of this thread ...

Per the USFS document (emphasis added):

Criteria Notes

If the maximum spots allotted for byes are not met through the outlined criteria, additional competitors from the U.S. Figure Skating Championship Series will be invited to fill the maximum available spots at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships© for each level/discipline. Competitors from the Championship Series will be selected based on next best total combined score(s) in the nation. This will apply equally to all disciplines in the junior and senior events. ...​

Katyaever

Rinkside
Repeating from Post #3 of this thread ...

Per the USFS document (emphasis added):​
Criteria Notes​
If the maximum spots allotted for byes are not met through the outlined criteria, additional competitors from the U.S. Figure Skating Championship Series will be invited to fill the maximum available spots at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships© for each level/discipline. Competitors from the Championship Series will be selected based on next best total combined score(s) in the nation. This will apply equally to all disciplines in the junior and senior events. ...​
Thank you! I missed that…

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
In the Participant Handbook for juvenile-novice, it says:

- Singles (Ladies/Men):

o Juvenile & Intermediate: top four athletes from each section, in each level
o Novice: top four athletes from each section, in each level
▪ NOTE: The top three scoring novice single athletes in the nation will also be invited to compete in Junior at the 2022 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating
Championships

The rules clearly say top 4 athletes from each section so E1-E4 for the eastern section, M1-M4 for the midwest section, and P1-P4 for the pacific section.

But I look at the series standings and they have also marked the ones that are in the 5th and 6th for each section (E5, E6, M5, M6, P5, P6). Why are the 5th and 6th in each section marked as well? Are the 5 & 6 alternates? Does anybody know?

Katyaever

Rinkside
In the Participant Handbook for juvenile-novice, it says:

The rules clearly say top 4 athletes from each section so E1-E4 for the eastern section, M1-M4 for the midwest section, and P1-P4 for the pacific section.

But I look at the series standings and they have also marked the ones that are in the 5th and 6th for each section (E5, E6, M5, M6, P5, P6). Why are the 5th and 6th in each section marked as well? Are the 5 & 6 alternates? Does anybody know?

I don’t know for sure, but I believe it’s just how the Standings list was implemented. It doesn’t appear to be tailored to the requirements for each level. For example, Juniors have 3 tops scores from each section advancing, but there are also 6 top scores that are highlighted. Same with Seniors where there are only 2 spots available for advancement.

Last edited:

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Where do you find these series standings? Or is that part of the "members only" section of the site?