2022 US Stars on Ice | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2022 US Stars on Ice

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for the update, @CoyoteChris, and the days of high-fiving skaters are sadly long gone (can't say I miss the T-Shirt cannon ;) )

One thing you mentioned and I'm glad you did, I thought it was just me: vision during some of the lighting. I was actually seeing double, I had to shut one of my eyes during parts of the group numbers (I wasn't missing one second of Jason, but I knew there wasn't two of him 😁).

I did think however, that "show lighting" was great for some of the individual programs. By then my eyes were accustomed to it. :)
They had the t-shirt cannon at US Nationals in Nashville. I hope the days of high fiving skaters are not gone forever.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
They had the t-shirt cannon at US Nationals in Nashville. I hope the days of high fiving skaters are not gone forever.
I have also seen a tee shirt sling shot which is a little less leathal. Got hit in the head with a frisbee once! LOL! I will take an arm around a skater over a high five but in these times we can only hope....Karen Chen, you alluded me at the nats you won but I am still on the hunt for you! :love2:
GG test.JPG

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Final show done tonight.😭

This tribute (fancam) from Nathan at the end of show is as emotional as I think I've ever seen him. Very touching. I think, from everything I have seen, everyone on the cast really did get along.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Final show done tonight.😭

This tribute (fancam) from Nathan at the end of show is as emotional as I think I've ever seen him. Very touching. I think, from everything I have seen, everyone on the cast really did get along.

They've travelled the world together for however long, and now this tour. They're all quite close. The only one that's kind of new to it was Liu, but like I would expect in the skating world and this group, they welcomed her right in and made her feel comfortable and included.

reneerose

Final Flight
Brandon and Jean Luc were doing Blades of Glory pairs antics during the pre-show practices through the whole SOI tour LOL:

I loved Nathan's closing speech so much! This has been one of the best shows I've seen. And I agree that I preferred the second half end number lighting. The What a Wonderful World group number is my favorite and Nathan and Vincent holding up the Madis feet in the iron cross lift with Evan, Brandon, and Zach. So beautiful!

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The b-man also did the Cleveland show. In a 19,000 seat arena, maybe 4k-5k fans. They still made enough noise so the arena did not feel empty. The 3 US men and the 2 dance teams were all outstanding. Yes, Jason had an abundance of energy, and Vincent's Starry Night was sublime. I was never much of a fan of H/D before, but seeing their "Spell over you" number up close was a favorite. C/B's astromaut/ alien number was excellent as well. Normally I follow ladies singles the most, and the 4 ladies were not up to the level of the men or dance teams. not that it bothered me. Karen, Mariah and Mirai all had a few jump problems, Mariah doing mostly doubles and popping some of those. Mirai is still technically on a level with Karen and Mariah after a 4 yr absence. Liu had the best jumps, but her program , though enthusiastic, was geared for the 16 years old crowd. I enjoyed the group numbers, The skaters had fun, as did I.

I also did the meet and greet. Unfortunately, strict covid protocols were still in place. Skaters sat behind tables in masks, separated by 6 feet and a rope, with fans also masked making photos almost impossible. Since the line kept moving, you got about 15-30 seconds with each skater. A few, such as Donohue, and Alexa were interested in what I thought of the show, and Jason repeatedly asked if I really liked the show, his enthusiasm carried over from performance to the M&G. We all got a poster signed by the cast. So the M&G was both overpriced, yet priceless at the same time.

The sad thing is I've been watching many of these skaters perform for 10 or more years, and almost all except Liu for over 5 years, Most, I fear, I will not see perform again.
Yeah, me too. Wow. 4k fans!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Brandon and Jean Luc were doing Blades of Glory pairs antics during the pre-show practices through the whole SOI tour LOL:

I loved Nathan's closing speech so much! This has been one of the best shows I've seen. And I agree that I preferred the second half end number lighting. The What a Wonderful World group number is my favorite and Nathan and Vincent holding up the Madis feet in the iron cross lift with Evan, Brandon, and Zach. So beautiful!
I am glad I went. Except the the upcoming nats gala, I have no idea when the next show or even skate comp I go to will be. And when such a talented and good hearted group of US skaters will skate together again. Or even if there will be a SOI next year....or where it will stop. I still maintain another Champs on ice with other country's skaters added is needed. But I have been wrong about these things before. Japanese nats 2001....light crowds...Japanese Worlds Nagano a few months later...packed....go figure.
Fumie doing her winning skate...crowds looked like Spokane SOI.
fumie crowd.jpg

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I fear the retirements will come thick and fast now:(

I thought that too, but ... maybe not.

Nathan and Vincent have already said they are taking breaks to concentrate on school, but no permanent news. Karen may as well, hard to read?

Madi and Evan are continuing.

Madison and Zach and Alysa have retired.

So.... we have Jason, who I think is going to push off permanent decisions until his Japanese shows are done. Alexa and Brandon? And Mariah. I know Alexa and Brandon have also pushed off the question, I don't know about Mariah.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Nathan and Vincent have already said they are taking breaks to concentrate on school, but no permanent news. Karen may as well, hard to read?

So.... we have Jason, who I think is going to push off permanent decisions until his Japanese shows are done. Alexa and Brandon? And Mariah. I know Alexa and Brandon have also pushed off the question, I don't know about Mariah.
Mariah said something I found really odd, along the lines of "I have a bye to Nationals, maybe I'll just show up."

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I fear the retirements will come thick and fast now:(
After 20 years of being a live whoman bean at events and following the telly and web in this sport, I am not sure the changing of the guard gets any easier. Its just a constant. But as the difficulty level rises, so does the injuries and also the lifespan of a skater on the circuit shortens. Look at how long MK and Mirai lasted..and Mariah, and Mao and Fumie....and how long Alysa lasted.....in an ironic sense, how long would N. Chen have lasted if he won his first Oly? Thankfully, there is youtube.....
Suddenly, its 2001-2002 season all over again.....
fumie worlds 2002.jpg
Fumie 2002 worlds ex.jpg
fumie 2001 final.jpg

reneerose

Final Flight

Alexa and Brandon kind of just "started". I can see them going 1 more season...at least.