2022 World Junior Championships: Pairs Short Program | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2022 World Junior Championships: Pairs Short Program

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My timing was perfect, just came home and opened my laptop to see the final position of the final pair. Should I watch all or pick some highlights?
One man's opinion, of course...

But if I were short on time, I'd watch the Top 2 and call it done. They were class of the field, and it wasn't really close. Except for the Aussie's twist, they'd have a large gap on the Americans. Placements are correct, and scores are reasonable for what was put of the ice tonight.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
One man's opinion, of course...

But if I were short on time, I'd watch the Top 2 and call it done. They were class of the field, and it wasn't really close. Except for the Aussie's twist, they'd have a large gap on the Americans. Placements are correct, and scores are reasonable for what was put of the ice tonight.
Thanks, I think this is good opinion. Even pairs in seniors is my favorite discipline, in juniors I don't often watch them.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The Georgians are not really juniors, apart from their ages (18 and 19). They were 4th at Europeans, 9th at the Olympics and 4th at Worlds. The only reason they are at JW is to collect a medal, which they weren't able to do at the three senior competitions.
And so what? Isn't it the same situation for Ilia? He just skated at senior worlds, had a huge score in the SP. He is seen as senior from many, considering the thread about him being robbed of an olympic berth.... one cannot possibly praise Ilia for his prowess and then, come up with this sort of comment for the Georgians. Nobody is breaking the rules here. They are young enough to skate and it's not their fault the field was depleted at worlds to the point that they ranked 4th. They are welcome to come to JW and get a medal out of it. So is Ilia.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, it's not breaking the rules, but it IS sandbagging. As Karina Safina turns 19 next month, this is the last year of junior eligibility for her. OTOH, Luka is 19 (born in Nov) so has two more years of junior eligibility; with a new partner, he could continue to compete at JW even while moving up at senior championship events.

It's not quite the same for Ilia. He is 17. He skated in the JGP in 2019 at 14, then went to JW 2020 and finished 16th. The only competition he could do in the 2020-21 season was Skate America, where he was 5th. Instead of competing during CoVid time, he trained and brought his skating up several levels, not only with jumps, but with spins and footwork as well. When he competed at the JGP this past season, he was the top-ranked skater.

When he finished 2nd at 2022 US Nationals, many people thought he should have been sent to the Olympics. I didn't think that was a good idea, as he'd not had any high-level senior experience. His FS performance at 2022 Worlds showed that he wasn't quite ready for prime time. But he did need that lesson, and I expect to see better at JW.

Ilia (born Dec 2004) has two more years of junior eligibility, but you can bet this is his last junior competition. He was concerned about getting GP events next season, and by finishing top 9 at Worlds, he is now guaranteed two events.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And I’m here after a big Gymnastics disappointment. And am immediately cheered by the most beautiful words in the English language : “all gifts and flowers offered to the skaters at the end of the performance myst be completely wrapped.” !!!! Alas I have no passport, plane ticket to Estonia nor event tickets, so y’all will have to wait for my stuffies.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Georgians are not really juniors, apart from their ages (18 and 19). They were 4th at Europeans, 9th at the Olympics and 4th at Worlds. The only reason they are at JW is to collect a medal, which they weren't able to do at the three senior competitions.
And there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s within the rules and all skaters, junior and senior, have missed many skating opportunities due to cancellation of competitions. Were it me I would be skating wherever allowed.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you all for the explanation on the costumes.

That isn't a movie I've seen, or that I will ever make an effort to see, so that explains why I'm unfamiliar.
The Jokes on us. We haven’t seen the movie. The costumes hurt my eyes. I am old.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Endearing moment from the beginning of the pairs SP:
When a gentleman in the audience realized that he was being shown on camera, he reached for a bag and started fumbling for something inside. As he was taking it out of the bag, a folded item with the colors of the Ukrainian flag became visible.
His female companion (perhaps wife?) must have thought he was moving too slowly. She leaned over to "snatch" it from his hands and quickly unfold it ... revealing a long scarf/banner with the now-familiar blue and yellow, which she enthusiastically waved for the camera. 🇺🇦

I enjoyed the skating too!
But just wanted to share this moment that me made me smile -- because of their support for Ukraine and because of their sort of "amusing" interaction. :ghug:
(Not that anything about the conditions in Ukraine are amusing. :()

Someone go out and get these kids some stuffies!

Lest anyone wonder, ISU guidelines -- updated as of Feb 23 2022 -- still say:

2. No Gifts & Flowers to Skaters
It is not permitted to throw any items to the ice at any time. If Skaters will be offered gifts/flowers, they shall refrain from accepting them politely. Organizers shall inform spectators in advance not to bring any gifts/flowers.

You forgot to say that Safina/Berulava also competed in two Junior Grand Prix events in the current 2021-22 season, placing third and second.
I have no problem with them competing at Junior Worlds.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Jokes on us. We haven’t seen the movie. The costumes hurt my eyes. I am old.
I'm with you, friend.

I'm WAY too old to watch a movie like that. In fact, I'm so cranky I very rarely - like once in the past decade - go to see an in-theater movie. I don't like putting up with the nonsense that goes with a visit to the cinema.

The parking, the ticket prices, the cost of popcorn, tolerating the rude behavior of fellow movie-goers... that's not for me.

I'm increasingly becoming the old man who opens the window and shouts "You kids take your skateboards somewhere else!"

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Endearing moment from the beginning of the pairs SP:
When a gentleman in the audience realized that he was being shown on camera, he reached for a bag and started fumbling for something inside. As he was taking it out of the bag, a folded item with the colors of the Ukrainian flag became visible.​
His female companion (perhaps wife?) must have thought he was moving too slowly. She leaned over to "snatch" it from his hands and quickly unfold it ... revealing a long scarf/banner with the now-familiar blue and yellow, which she enthusiastically waved for the camera. 🇺🇦

I enjoyed the skating too!
But just wanted to share this moment that me made me smile -- because of their support for Ukraine and because of their sort of "amusing" interaction. :ghug:
(Not that anything about the conditions in Ukraine are amusing. :()

Lest anyone wonder, ISU guidelines -- updated as of Feb 23 2022 -- still say:

2. No Gifts & Flowers to Skaters​
It is not permitted to throw any items to the ice at any time. If Skaters will be offered gifts/flowers, they shall refrain from accepting them politely. Organizers shall inform spectators in advance not to bring any gifts/flowers.​

The announcer stated “gifts and flowers offered to the skaters after their performance must be completely wrapped.” If I am at a competition and hear that, I will be offering gifts, not going to look online at what the ISU guidelines say. So someone is very wrong because those two things are completely contradictory.

(Not saying you are wrong. The online guidelines say what they say. So either they haven’t been updated online or the venue is not only ignoring them but violating them.)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm with you, friend.

I'm WAY too old to watch a movie like that. In fact, I'm so cranky I very rarely - like once in the past decade - go to see an in-theater movie. I don't like putting up with the nonsense that goes with a visit to the cinema.

The parking, the ticket prices, the cost of popcorn, tolerating the rude behavior of fellow movie-goers... that's not for me.

I'm increasingly becoming the old man who opens the window and shouts "You kids take your skateboards somewhere else!"
I go to see 3D movies. “They Shall Not Grow Old” in 3D was amazing (but no soundtrack for skating there).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The announcer stated “gifts and flowers offered to the skaters after their performance must be completely wrapped.” If I am at a competition and hear that, I will be offering gifts, not going to look online at what the ISU guidelines say. So someone is very wrong because those two things are completely contradictory.

(Not saying you are wrong. The online guidelines say what they say. So either they haven’t been updated online or the venue is not only ignoring them but violating them.)

The guidelines say (in part): "Organizers shall inform spectators in advance not to bring any gifts/flowers."
If(?) the Junior Worlds organizers did inform spectators not to bring gifts, then it would seem to me that it would be unlikely for spectators to bring gifts to the arena -- at least on the first day of competition, which was today.

Speaking for myself: When I am certain in advance that gifts are permitted, I have been known to sometimes bring gifts.
But if I officially had been informed in advance not to bring gifts, I myself would not rock the boat and would not bring gifts.

Perhaps some of those who attended today and heard the in-arena announcement will come back tomorrow with (completely wrapped :)) gifts for skaters?

In any case, I certainly hope :pray: that a skater (including from juniors) does not feel any less appreciated/supported when gifts are not thrown (whether by happenstance or by COVID rule).
In my own limited pre-COVID experience -- and depending on the skater and circumstances -- I think it is very possible that my modest gift-giving sometimes/often has been more meaningful/significant to me than to the skater. Not saying that any skater ever has been ungrateful. Just sayin' that when I am a gift-giver, my focus on and enjoyment of the moment perhaps outweighs the skater/recipient's focus/enjoyment, which is fine by me.
YMMV, and sorry for going off topic.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The guidelines say (in part): "Organizers shall inform spectators in advance not to bring any gifts/flowers."
If(?) the Junior Worlds organizers did inform spectators not to bring gifts, then it would seem to me that it would be unlikely for spectators to bring gifts to the arena -- at least on the first day of competition, which was today.

Speaking for myself: When I am certain in advance that gifts are permitted, I have been known to sometimes bring gifts.
But if I officially had been informed in advance not to bring gifts, I myself would not rock the boat and would not bring gifts.

Perhaps some of those who attended today and heard the in-arena announcement will come back tomorrow with (completely wrapped :)) gifts for skaters?

In any case, I certainly hope :pray: that a skater (including from juniors) does not feel any less appreciated/supported when gifts are not thrown (whether by happenstance or by COVID rule).
In my own limited pre-COVID experience -- and depending on the skater and circumstances -- I think it is very possible that my modest gift-giving sometimes/often has been more meaningful/significant to me than to the skater. Not saying that any skater ever has been ungrateful. Just sayin' that when I am a gift-giver, my focus on and enjoyment of the moment perhaps outweighs the skater/recipient's focus/enjoyment, which is fine by me.
YMMV, and sorry for going off topic.
You are very correct. They may indeed have “informed in advance” (by email?) to ticket holders that gifts/flowers would not be allowed. But then what about people who bought tickets the day of?

IF I were to have been “informed in advance” that gifts would not be allowed, then heard a statement “gifts and. flowers offered to the skaters must be fully wrapped” I would be very confused.

This is the third event in this arena and the other events have stated something like “Due to Covid 19 items cannot be thrown onto the ice at any time.” So it’s not like they don’t know the difference.

I hope we have someone there who can clear the confusion.

I think when I throw Gracie a gift, it is more for me than for her, because she gets dozens or hundreds of things even. If I throw, say, Mitchell Friess a turtle (or a fractal item. Or a turtle with fractals) I hope he enjoys it because he doesn’t get many things.

onyxrose81

Rinkside
And I’m here after a big Gymnastics disappointment. And am immediately cheered by the most beautiful words in the English language : “all gifts and flowers offered to the skaters at the end of the performance myst be completely wrapped.” !!!! Alas I have no passport, plane ticket to Estonia nor event tickets, so y’all will have to wait for my stuffies.
Are you a Michigan fan? Because if so…my condolences.