2022 Worlds Entries | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2022 Worlds Entries

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
there could be different issues. I remember Misha Ge had tons of VISA issues during his career. (i know, different country)
Here, one could suspect it is a covid vaccine requirement. If France is like Canada, only WHO approved vaccines would work for an entry visa. Sputnik is not approved. I believe that Kazahkstan used Sputnik adn QazCovidIn (I may be wrong about this). It was the reason why, at first, ISU wanted to move speed skating worlds away from Montreal... because athletes of Russian and Kazakhstan would not be able to enter... with the ongoing war, it was decided it was too hard to change location and that the ISU would help the athletes concerned with money for hotel quarantines. So it could be just a "sort of banal" paperwork mishap, a vaccine mishap... a covid issue. Etc.

Last edited:

Ganya

Rinkside
No, they haven't announced any reason yet.

Right, for a moment I completely forgot Covid still exists.

But he is native Kazakhstani. It's more likely a problem with the paperwork or the vaccine, I think.
There is no knowing. Embassies/consulates are not supposed to provide any official reasons normally.
Of course, Shaidorov is both ethnically and linguistically Russian, just like a lot of people in Kazakhstan, but i hoped such factors were still not expected to play a role.

Country
Norway
The withdrawal of the German dance couple is due to Covid positive test.
I think I read that Benjamin tested positive before departure, and it was only him. So I guess the two positive tests are not linked to them, but was detected by the routine tests.

Edit: Found the source, Deutsche Eislauf Union on IG: "Due to a positive Covid-19 test of Benjamin the German Ice Dance Champions cannot travel to the World Championships in Montpellier"

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom

balabam

🥕🥕🌵🌵😈😀
Record Breaker
Country
Slovakia
Ghilardi/Ambrosini aren't on the entry list anymore.
Australian pair MIA too.
Pairs are down to 14.
Paradox - comparison of post-olympic Worlds pairs entries:
2018 - 28 teams of which 16 advanced to the FS Link
2022 - 14 teams of which 20 could have advanced to the FS Link

They changed advance rule right after 2018 Worlds so 20 pairs can progress...

2. Based on the result of the Short Program/Rhythm Dance, the Competitors placed 1-24 in Single Skating 1-16 in Pair Skating (1-20 in Pair Skating at World Championships) and 1-20 in Ice Dance only shall qualify for the final Free Skating/Free Dance. Link to rule

And little bit of research during working hours :D

YearFinal entriesCan qualify for FSLink
20162216Show
20172816Show
20182816Show
20191920Show
2020cancelled
20212420Show
20221420Show

Also the deep of the field was insane in 2017 and 2018.

Last edited:

removof

On the Ice
it's a poor worlds without Russia, China, Belarus and Kazakhstan mix sports and politics it's a mess

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The Kazakh team in ice dance is on the formal entry list, so there is no blanket ban on that country.

Gubanova will be competing, so Russian ethnicity is not a problem.

Morisi Kvitelashvili and Nazarova & Nikitin are competing, and they were coached in Russia.

I don't know what the problem was with Mikhail Shaiderov's visa, but it was not the country he represents, nor his ethnicity, nor the fact that he had a Russian coach

I guess either vaccine or paperwork.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
The Kazakh team in ice dance is on the formal entry list, so there is no blanket ban on that country.

Gubanova will be competing, so Russian ethnicity is not a problem.

Morisi Kvitelashvili and Nazarova & Nikitin are competing, and they were coached in Russia.

I don't know what the problem was with Mikhail Shaiderov's visa, but it was not the country he represents, nor his ethnicity, nor the fact that he had a Russian coach

I guess either vaccine or paperwork.
Exactly. Vladimir Samoilov is also competing, and he is a Russian citizen (though he is training in Italy, so probably has a long-term residence permit for the EU).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Gubanova will have dual citizenship, since Georgia and Russia allow that.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
there could be different issues. I remember Misha Ge had tons of VISA issues during his career. (i know, different country)
Here, one could suspect it is a covid vaccine requirement. If France is like Canada, only WHO approved vaccines would work for an entry visa. Sputnik is not approved. I believe that Kazahkstan used Sputnik adn QazCovidIn (I may be wrong about this). It was the reason why, at first, ISU wanted to move speed skating worlds away from Montreal... because athletes of Russian and Kazakhstan would not be able to enter... with the ongoing war, it was decided it was too hard to change location and that the ISU would help the athletes concerned with money for hotel quarantines. So it could be just a "sort of banal" paperwork mishap, a vaccine mishap... a covid issue. Etc.
After Russians couldn't enter France during the JGP series, and Shaidorov being a junior skater, I think he was made very aware. He was also prepared to go to 4CC in Japan, so I am pretty sure he is vaccinated to the ninnies.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound cross, but I was actually looking forward to seeing Shaidorov compete, and refusing an entry visa without an explanation sounds ominous & feels too much of a coincidence to be a trivial mishap.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
After Russians couldn't enter France during the JGP series, and Shaidorov being a junior skater, I think he was made very aware. He was also prepared to go to 4CC in Japan, so I am pretty sure he is vaccinated to the ninnies.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound cross, but I was actually looking forward to seeing Shaidorov compete, and refusing an entry visa without an explanation sounds ominous & feels too much of a coincidence to be a trivial mishap.
I understand. The rules keep changing about vaccination requirements... they have in Canada since the JGP series. Maybe they have in France too. Djokovic was refused entry in Australia. Some American players are only playing tennis in the USA (Sandgren is one of then) because of refusing to get vaccinated. As mentioned up there, the embassy/consulate will probably not issue a statement about the refusal of his visa. However, Shaidorov may share the reasons himself. Misha Ge's problems remind us that it is easier for some athletes compared to others to get the proper paperwork. It seems like French Visa are hard to get...

Last edited:

Alegria

On the Ice
Country
Ukraine

3 years ago, Kseniia Sinitsyna and her coach could not fly to the United States yo compete in JGP, as they had problems with visas. And they were already at the airport then. So I would rather believe in the human factor than in conspiracies.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Or applying to enter a country known for difficult, bureaucratic processes...

I hope Shaidorov will be at Skate America or International Classic! I very much enjoyed his skating at 4CC s