2022 Worlds: Men's SP - Thoughts? | Golden Skate

2022 Worlds: Men's SP - Thoughts?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Uno: “My free skating is full of difficult jumps, like the quad loop and Salchow. Of course the jumps are important as well, but also the other elements are significant. It was choreographed by my coach Stephane Lambiel, so I really want to make the best out of it to make him proud. In the past three years I have changed so much. Three years ago I was skating towards the end of my career, but now I am skating for the future. I am amid the journey of my growth, so I want to show that.”

Kagiyama: “My triple Axel was a little bit cautious and I couldn’t perform as good as during my practice, but the two quads were like the best ever, so I’m very happy about that."

Tomono: “When I first heard the news about competing at Worlds, I was very surprised, but I immediately agreed to participate. So I changed gears and was able to focus on preparing for this competition."

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shoma, Yuma and Kazuki! Each Japanese man with his own style, and each one bringing it.

Ilia laying it down. When he gets more performance chops, watch out.

Camden lives. So does Deniss. Vincent guts it out. Kevin, who cares about mistakes such a joy to watch. Talk about joy to watch, Adam!

I love the men❤️

But Donovan 😭

mrrice

Record Breaker
I haven't watched the event yet but, I hope it was a well skated event. I am THRILLED for Ilia. This proves his placement on the World Team was the right move. To see him break 100 and lead the US Men as we head into the free is just fantastic for the future of the US Men. I bet his mom is so proud!

Last edited:

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Great event. Excellent performance from Shoma and he actually deserved his score. No crappy landings or exits, no breaking at the waist, just quality skating. A pleasure to watch. And I have to mention Kazuki for stepping in at the last minute and getting the job done. I have no doubt there is a guy with a screwed up ankle sitting in Japan smiling with approval after watching this event from his home.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
This was a superbly skated event. Quite a few men laid down their best-ever performances.

The Good

The Japanese men going 1-2-3 is bad ass. I still think Kagiyama will win gold, but Uno, in particular, is mesmerizing when he’s clean. Tomono is on his way to making teams outright, instead of being an alternate. He’s had a great season.

The American men also did very well. I’m not surprised one iota about Malinin doing well (get that podium!), and not letting any pressure bother him, but I am surprised that he’s going into the free in the first group and as the top American. I thought Zhou - who doesn’t have problems with his SP - would be above him, but he got hammered on TES. He still got the job done and redeemed himself. Pulkinen got a PB so he certainly did better than expected. The American men should keep their spots.

The Italians may very well gain a spot. Grassl may have dubious technique, but he’s consistent and Rizzo looked better than he’s had all season. His step sequence was a highlight for me. Make it happen, guys!

Vasiljevs is very musical with great 3s and he’s also having a great season. He has one of my favorite SPs this season. I hope he makes the top 10.

Keegan should get that knee bend of his patented. The save on the 4T was awesome.

Starostin made the free!

The Bad

Cha Junhwan was a disappointment. I was very annoyed about the fall on the 4S as he’s nailed that SP all season. I wanted to see him break 100 with his layout and rally for the podium. It ain’t over til it’s over, but a clean free skate requires him to land both quads and I can’t remember the last time he landed a 4T and he’s never landed both the 4T and 4S cleanly in the same program.

The Ugly

Poor Samoilov.

Last edited:

treblemakerem

On the Ice
There was a lot of good things to talk about in this competition but I’m still feeling frustrated for Vincent. I went back and watched the slow motion and the lutz is perfectly rotated. I just don’t know what he has to do to get his jumps scored fairly.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I didn't post during the competition, because I was watching the last 2 groups on Fuji TV and although it was "live," I knew the timing would be off due to the commercial breaks.

First, I am so proud of Kazuki. He was on fire. His jumps were superb, getting positive GOEs across the board. He looked happy and confident. He has really blossomed this season and put everything into this opportunity after Yuzu withdrew. Where are you, KiaraChin? :cheer::hap10:

Second, Shoma slayed. As YuBluByMe says, you can't take your eyes off him when he is on. He was definitely in the zone and performed his heart out. I hope he doesn't feel too much pressure going into the FS and lays it down again.

Third, my boy Yuma got the job done. He said he was nervous, though he tried not to be. Glad he held it together.

Fourth, I haven't really watched Ilia before, but what a stunner! Amazing jumps and flexibility. He isn't as smooth as some of the others, but no doubt he will get there (I reserve judgement regarding his presentation - I thought the music was an odd choice for a youngster). Yuma mentioned him in his interview and I can see an epic rivalry developing (in the best possible sense).

I was sad for Junhwan Cha and relieved for Vincent, although I'm sure he hoped for a higher score. He still doesn't look 100% to me. Hoping he can finish his season on a good note.

There was so much else going on to appreciate in the earlier groups, including the Ukranian skater's heartfelt performance, which had the audience in tears.

All in all a wonderful competition that was well worth staying up for.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Keegan didn't have the technical power of many of the other men. He did only one quad, a 4t, and could only do a 2t after it. He was 12th in TES and 5th in PCS, so 9th place seems about right.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Did Camden make the Free Program. I still haven't seen all the Men. The difficulty is still high even without the Russian and Chinese skaters. Still smiling after watching Ilia about 10 times.

KiraraChin

Medalist
First, I am so proud of Kazuki. He was on fire. His jumps were superb, getting positive GOEs across the board. He looked happy and confident. He has really blossomed this season and put everything into this opportunity after Yuzu withdrew. Where are you, KiaraChin? :cheer::hap10:
I'm here, still sobbing and shaking and pinching myself after Kazuki's skate 😂

Remember he is actually the second alternate - Kao Miura was supposed to sub in for Yuzu but got injured a week before Worlds. Kazuki was already en route to Coupe du Printemps when he got called. So his participation is effectively last minute, just days after another competition, and yet turns up and lays down a skate like that, breaking 100+ for the first time in his career. Absolutely astonishing 🤯

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Yes, incredible mental toughness. I wonder though whether the abruptness of it all worked to his advantage. There was no time to worry - and I guess it has happened before. But whatever it was, it worked! I am thrilled for you both :ghug::clap::yahoo:.

mrrice

Record Breaker
This is a bit off topic but, when does ice dance begin. It is the only discipline I can't find on my TV schedule.

mskater93

Record Breaker
He’s one of the best, if not the best, spinners in the world. He never gets credit for that.
Spins will only net you so much in tech. if you aren't landing a 4+3, 4, and 3A, you are going to have a major limit to your TES.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Spins will only net you so much in tech. if you aren't landing a 4+3, 4, and 3A, you are going to have a major limit to your TES.
Did Keegan not land 3A? I’ll have to look again. If not that would explain.