2022 Worlds: Pairs SP - Thoughts? | Golden Skate

2022 Worlds: Pairs SP - Thoughts?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

"We feel very fulfilled," said Fraizer. "We're proud of ourselves for continuing to build at each competition for our second season together. It takes a lot of time to build in the international circuit; I think we're just doing our best each time."

"We're very grateful to be here and have a chance to do these programs again," added Knierim. "Going out and skating well – skating like we do at practice – is very fulfilling. It's a nice way to end the season in the SP segment."

Will one the the two American teams hang on and bring the trophy to the U.S. for only the third time in figue skating history? Babilonia and Gargner (1979) and Kennedy and Kennedy (1950) are the others.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Cain-Gribble did triple loops, not triple toes. :)

Off the top of my head, in no particular order, a few things I loved:

Ashley and Tim's spectacular step sequence, that highlights their unison, their lines, their attention to their choreography and their passion for the music. I also enjoyed that at the end, where highlights of the top 3 skates are shown, it was their steps that were shown. I was happy to get to watch it again.

Alexa and Brandon were smashing. And then, Ashley and Tim were smashing! So nice to see competitors each bringing their best!

Riku and Ryuichi, despite the mistake on the throw, showed most of their great elements. Personally, I think Ryuichi has about the most perfect expression for this music, excepting Mariah Bell. Perfect in different ways. Ryuichi has this sublime enjoyment when he skates with Riku; I can feel the appreciation from a distance.

Zoe Jones always looks like she's feeling perfect bliss, to be able to skate. It's beautiful and inspiring to see. She and Chris skated well, too.

I really enjoyed the whole event.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I enjoyed the pairs event. Not just the three pairs in front (although I was very enthusiastic about them) but others as well. The Georgian pair, the Canadians, the Spanish, the Dutch, the Ukranians.....I was a little sad that there were no Italians (who have some excellent pairs). I did not listen to the commentary though.

Jhar55

Medalist
Missed pairs short, went back watch on wonderful Peacock and they have pulled off. 😗
Anyone know reason why?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I'm not a fan of the version of "House of the Rising Sun" that the USA team chose for their short. The original done by Eric Burdon and the Animals can't be beat. However, this seemed to work for them....

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Missed pairs short, went back watch on wonderful Peacock and they have pulled off. 😗
Anyone know reason why?
Either the song that’s the subject of a lawsuit or the stuff the commentators said on a hot mic. Both? Who knows.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Happy to hear that Artem is not going back to Ukraine, although probably all men have to in order to fight for their country.
The conscription law in Ukraine is not that draconian, thankfully. If you are interested, here is an article from The Economist which explains perfectly where this conscription law comes from and how it works (if you don't want to subscribe, you can register with your e-mail address to read it full for free).

So, according to The Economist:

The “general mobilisation” announced by Mr Zelensky on the eve of the war is split into four “waves”. On March 15th the army announced that the second of those waves (former servicemen and reservists with combat experience prior to 2014) would commence. Only in the fourth and final wave, if it comes to that, will ordinary citizens need to head to the front.

Hopefully, the peace talks will succeed before then.