2023 Four Continents: Info and Pre-game Chat | Golden Skate

2023 Four Continents: Info and Pre-game Chat

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2023 Four Continents Figure Skating Championships will take place February 7-12, 2023, in Colorado Springs, Colorado, at the Broadmoor World Arena. The event is sanctioned by the International Skating Union (ISU) and is one of the four (World, Europeans, and World Junior Championships) annual figure skating competitions designated “ISU Championships.” Skaters must belong to a non-European member nation of the ISU to compete and must be at least fifteen before July 1 of the previous year.

Below are the scores that must be achieved at an ISU-recognized international event during the ongoing season or the preceding season (2021-22). SP/RD and FS/FD scores may be attained at different events.

Minimum Technical Scores (TES)

DisciplineSP/RDFS/FD
Men28.0046.00
Women25.0042.00
Pairs25.0042.00
Ice Dance28.0045.00

The Minimum Technical Elements Score (not including Component Scores) is a Technical Score and must have been reached in an ISU recognized International Competition (as per Article 39, paragraph 7 of the ISU Constitution and Rule 107, paragraphs 1 to 10 of the ISU General Regulations) during the ongoing or preceding season in both segments, Short Program/Rhythm Dance and Free Skating/Free Dance (See ISU Special Regulations Single & Pair Skating Ice Dance, Rule 378, paragraph 3).

While the Minimum Technical Elements Score must be reached separately in each segment (not a total of the two segments), the Minimum Technical Elements Score for each segment may be reached at different competitions. The Minimum Technical Elements Score must be reached 21 (twenty-one) days before the first day (first official practice day) of the Championships concerned (same as entry deadline).

Last edited by a moderator:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
U.S. Figure Skating Awarded ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships 2023

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (June 22,2022) - U.S. Figure Skating announced today that the organization will host the ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships 2023, scheduled for Feb. 7-12, 2023, at the Broadmoor World Arena in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

The event was originally awarded to Ice Skating Australia in October 2020 and was to be competed in Sydney, Australia.

U.S. Figure Skating most recently hosted the 2019 Four Continents in Anaheim, California. The event returns to Colorado Springs for the fourth time in 17 years. The Broadmoor World Arena previously played host to Four Continents in 2012, 2007 and 2006.

More information on the event, including tickets, will be available at a later date.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
U.S. Figure Skating Awarded ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships 2023

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (June 22,2022) - U.S. Figure Skating announced today that the organization will host the ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships 2023, scheduled for Feb. 7-12, 2023, at the Broadmoor World Arena in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

The event was originally awarded to Ice Skating Australia in October 2020 and was to be competed in Sydney, Australia.

U.S. Figure Skating most recently hosted the 2019 Four Continents in Anaheim, California. The event returns to Colorado Springs for the fourth time in 17 years. The Broadmoor World Arena previously played host to Four Continents in 2012, 2007 and 2006.

More information on the event, including tickets, will be available at a later date.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This isn't a happy occasion, it's a devastating occasion, as a small country again loses out on a wonderful opportunity, and doesn't even get the dignity of its own federation making the announcement.

Amei

Record Breaker
Well after Sydney waived the right to host, I think it made sense for the ISU to take the opportunity and get the competition moved, Australia has had very strict covid policies, the ISU already had to cancel a big competition last season due to the host country's covid policies. They can't particularly afford to lose more money from another competition being cancelled

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sad for our friends in Australia, :( happy for those who can now go in Colorado.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel so sorry for Australia, and I agree there should have been a joint announcement. These kinds of competitions are what brings excitement and promotes the sport in small feds. If folks really care about small feds and their skaters, they would be sad about this move.

Seeing yet another competition in Colorado Springs, I'm happy for people who can go, but still sad for Australia.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Australia has had very strict covid policies, the ISU already had to cancel a big competition last season due to the host country's covid policies. They can't particularly afford to lose more money from another competition being cancelled
Bulldust, Australia has hosted major events like the F1 just fine this year, 4CC wouldn't have been a problem unless some really lethal new strain came out.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
My chance for attending a 4CC comp was last year, as I expect it will never be held in Europe again (and rightly so!). I feel sorry for the Australians, and regret that I did not hear their side of this story (apart from Sydney being problematic. Why?). I am happy for my US friends of course!

Last edited:

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
The elevation of 6,000 feet will make this quite a challenge for the skaters! Here's hoping the February weather cooperates...Sad for Australia.
I've heard that higher elevation makes your jumps easier to rotate because there's less oxygen (and that's why all of the Colorado skaters UR) so maybe there's some advantages there too.

I'm sorry to all the Australians, I know everyone was really looking forward to being able to go to a skating event for once.

Amei

Record Breaker
Bulldust, Australia has hosted major events like the F1 just fine this year, 4CC wouldn't have been a problem unless some really lethal new strain came out.

I bet F1 and those other major sports (that did not happen without controversy) brings in more money than figure skating as well. Like I said in my original comment the I think the ISU was smart to move it somewhere its less likely to get cancelled last minute because moving international competitions last minute is quite difficult. The ISU is a business that bleeds a lot of money, they can't particularly afford more cancelled competitions.