2023 Canadian Nationals: General Info and Pre-game chat | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2023 Canadian Nationals: General Info and Pre-game chat

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I am sad panda.
It's always the bad luck. Wishing Piper good recovery and being back as soon as she can with Paul. If they will be still selected for Worlds of course (not sure about 4CC regarding recovery timing...). I just hope it does not dampen their spirits and make them think less of a season they have.

liv

Record Breaker
Wishing Piper well.

An appendectomy is often a relatively straightforward thing, but its still a surgery and sometimes things don't go as planned. I hope that for her everything goes smoothly and she's back on the ice only when ready.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
In French it says Horaire de diffusion. In the subtitle it even says WEBDIFFUSION which is live streaming. This is not the CBC TV schedule I assure you. It's the sports page with online streaming.

This is where I watch all the live streaming I do watch, and not only figure skating but other obscure sports never shown on tv... :)

It may look confusing to some but if you look down, you will see that there are many other sports with very uncanny schedules.... I doubt that there will be alpine skiing shown live on TV at 5 am on February 7th, for instance ;)

Closer to the event, links are normally created for individual videos. I have been watching all GPs, and recent Nationals right on the CBC (French most often) website...

The one thing of concern would be : are they going to show everything (including juniors).... and that, we will find out when they post the individual videos... as of now, nothing has been posted yet, which is not surprising to me as it's normally like that. They come a few days before.

In any case, there is no need to worry about Nationals. There will be live streaming. It's part of the Skate Canada mandate to do so, if I recall correctly
Yes, I see. Google translate translated it to Broadcasting. However, the main problem for me is that it just says "Du 12 au 15 janvier" with no details. The English page, once you chose Figure Skating as your sport, gave a detailed schedule of up to 4 events per day, with descriptions and start times. And it starts on Jan 10. I expect the English schedule is more up-to-date and accurate. It is certainly much more detailed!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yes, I see. Google translate translated it to Broadcasting. However, the main problem for me is that it just says "Du 12 au 15 janvier" with no details. The English page, once you chose Figure Skating as your sport, gave a detailed schedule of up to 4 events per day, with descriptions and start times. And it starts on Jan 10. I expect the English schedule is more up-to-date and accurate. It is certainly much more detailed!
My guess : simply because French CBC has its own team of commentators and they may not cover every segment of the competition. In this case, it would look like French CBC has opted not to cover juniors with their own team of commentators.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
My guess : simply because French CBC has its own team of commentators and they may not cover every segment of the competition. In this case, it would look like French CBC has opted not to cover juniors with their own team of commentators.
I thought maybe that was it. Fortunately you can understand the English coverage!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Wishing Piper well.

An appendectomy is often a relatively straightforward thing, but its still a surgery and sometimes things don't go as planned. I hope that for her everything goes smoothly and she's back on the ice only when ready.
the surgery is usually indeed straightforward... but it's an abdominal surgery nevertheless and rest is prescribed for several weeks. So it's not looking good for an ice dancer twisting her body in all possible directions.

mrrice

Record Breaker
How is Keegan doing physically? It seems he may a bit behind in his training this season. I would imagine a new child at home has a lot to do with that. He's been to every event there is so, I don't think nerves will be a factor.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
How is Keegan doing physically? It seems he may a bit behind in his training this season. I would imagine a new child at home has a lot to do with that. He's been every event there is so, I don't think nerves will be a factor.
well.. he said that he was nervous as he wants to skate well on his "farewell year"... and it has shown so far...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I hope being in front of the home crowd will be a huge motivator for him. He doesn't have to win. He's been around for a long time. His Hulk LP was from 2011. I just hope he finishes with a big smile.
I am hoping that the holiday break gave him time to process things a bit more and that his second half of the season will be much better. He plans to retire at WTT, and that would be with a big smile for sure.

Weathergal

Medalist
I hope being in front of the home crowd will be a huge motivator for him. He doesn't have to win. He's been around for a long time. I still remember his Hulk LP from 2011. I just hope he finishes with a big smile.
The other day I was thinking about him and his Hulk LP from then with his crazy green and black costume! 😃 Even though he didn't have the polish and technical prowess he does now, there was just something about him that was special. I hope he can enjoy the rest of the season and be proud of all he's accomplished in his career.

mrrice

Record Breaker
The other day I was thinking about him and his Hulk LP from then with his crazy green and black costume! 😃 Even though he didn't have the polish and technical prowess he does now, there was just something about him that was special. I hope he can enjoy the rest of the season and be proud of all he's accomplished in his career.
That's exactly what I thought and looking at his coach, I thought, now I see where he gets that wild, fearless style he has. I love this profile on Keegan. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqge1Bqae8A

Last edited:

Sackie

Medalist
For those that put Lia in the top 5 in Sr Women's do you really think she is ready for the pressure of skating both women's and pairs' at the same event and even on the same day. I would hate for her to skate well in the women's (which is 1st) and have it cause her to do poorly in the Pairs'. Cause her and Trennt have a great chance to go to worlds. Or do you think there is a chance that she may drop out of women's free skate if she finds it does effect her in the Pairs' short?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope being in front of the home crowd will be a huge motivator for him. He doesn't have to win. He's been around for a long time. I still remember his Hulk LP from 2011. I just hope he finishes with a big smile.
He was in front of his home crowd at Skate Canada. I think he’s overwhelmed. You could keep skating Keegan! I would not complain if you changed your mind !