2023 Canadian Nats Recap | Golden Skate

2023 Canadian Nats Recap

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I suppose SC will wait until after 4CC to decide who get's the second spot at worlds.

Very thrilled for Stellato-Dudek who has not been feeling well as of late.

Really enjoyed Kaiya Ruiter!

Dubreuil had "comments" on the skirt issue :biggrin:

What are your thoughts on the event? Thoughts on who is going to 4CCs, Worlds, and JW?

4CCs

Pair
Kelly Ann Laurin / Loucas Ethier
Lia Pereira / Trennt Michaud
Deanna Stellato-Dudek / Maxime Deschamps

Ice Dance
Laurence Fournier Beaudry / Nikolaj Soerensen
Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier
Marjorie Lajoie / Zachary Lagha

Men
Stephen Gogolev
Keegan Messing
Conrad Orzel

Women
Sara-Maude Dupuis
Justine Miclette
Madeline Schizas

Junior Worlds

Pair
Ava Kemp / Yohnatan Elizarov
Chloe Panetta / Kieran Thrasher
Ashlyn Schmitz / Tristan Taylor

Ice Dance
Nadiia Bashynska / Peter Beaumont
Sandrine Gauthier/ Quentin Thieren
Hailey Yu / Brendan Giang

Men
Wesley Chiu
Aleksa Rakic
Edward Nicholas Vasii

Women
Kaiya Ruiter

Worlds

Pairs
Brooke McIntosh / Benjamin Mimar
Lia Pereira / Trennt Michaud
Deanna Stellato-Dudek / Maxime Deschamps

Ice Dance
Laurence Fournier Beaudry / Nikolaj Soerensen
Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier

Men
Keegan Messing
TBD

Women
Madeline Schizas

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It was interesting to watch Nationals for sure for Canada. I am glad Keegan won and while I thought it was game over with two falls in the first half he came back with a triple axel and triple lutz/triple toe combo. The scores were fair but had this been the USA the pcs would be inflated - Keegan would have over 90 in pcs in the US Really he is as good as all of them except maybe Brown.

In dance LALA can take comfort they won the free - with the Danadians you always can find vulnerability in their skating for a mistake or not as strong technically - I am amazed they beat Chock and Bates who I think have the momentum now for the world title with Piper healing. that is not easy - appendectomy.

Pairs I admit as impressed as I am with the 3 and 4th place teams I find them with huge weak spots. IN particular, while a new team Lia and Trennt looked to struggle with the throw jumps. I find Trennt even with his former partner never as in control or "strong enough" in the lifts some time. I cannot get over Deanna's strength. I do think it takes a bit out of the performance as everything is measured but good for her - with such an illness to complete both programs and win them deservedly. I do think if she can get healthy they would be like at least 10 to 20 percent better - stronger, faster, more zip. I was impressed with Ben and Brooke and think they could challenge the American second and third teams.

In ladies I guess the sp had some solid clean skates but they don't have a jumping bean or artist. Just pretty good "Jennifer Robinson" skating. Pretty solid if not perfunctory. I guess we need to see how Kaiya and Fiona develop.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Thank you for these articles. Always fun to read Ted Flett

I especially liked reading the comments of Dubreuil about the culture shift in their training (Fournier-Beaudry and Soerensen).
Nik says he believes Canada is the best skating nation in the world. He and Ted Barton are probably chit chatting these days :)

Regarding the world team, we have been discussing it a lot in various threads, so all I will add is that I appreciate that Skate Canada is spreading the wealth, for instance not doubling up 4CC and Junior worlds athletes. Glad that Loucas and Kelly Ann are getting something as well as Justine and Sara Maude. Thrilled that Conrad gets another chance to show his steady improvement.
Junior worlds will be very strong for Canada at home.

I will end by saying that if 2019 Nationals were a bit of a let down after all of the retirements expected after an Olympic cycle, 2023 was truly exciting. The talent is emerging. It is as we are seeing the effect that 2018 had on these kids. It will take a bit longer with the men as they peak a bit later... but the depth of talent in women, pairs and dance is impressive.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I wish to give a big hurrah for Skate Canada for making it possible to watch all over the World. They've done it before, but it was even nicer this time with all the budding talent as well as some wonderful veterans. I saw everything I wanted to see, and enjoyed so many programmes. I know I am repeating myself (my appreciation is infinite), but I've had such a good time this weekend, whether it's dancing, spinning or jumping!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I watched and enjoyed the single events, live and on demand. Thanks Skate Canada, the skaters, Ted, Kaetlyn and Kevin. Loved the nice, fun and interesting comments!

Keegan forever :bsplit:
Most emotional Skate Keegan Messing fs

Most determined skating Deanna and Max

Best comeback Stephen Gogolov

Pleasant surprise the pairs battle for bronze

Best Battle The Danadians versus LaLa

Skater who needs a hug Roman Sadovsky

General comments. Happy for Trennt that he is gelling so fast with Lia give them time with the t hrows. The commentating maybe it is how it is done but Ted was kind of pulling everyone throuh. Kaitlyn andKaetlyn were ok but the rest were not so good or helpful other than we love them because the are former skaters.

Cutting the ice

On the Ice
Yes, love Ted Barton's commentary along with our former skaters - who provided so much wisdom and personal context. He commented again on why he doesnt talk over a performance although at the senior ISU events, he was asked to do so and he did not like it. I totally agree, it disrupts the enjoyment of the artistry and we have the tech box to inform about success of performance if we are unsure. If people still don't understand what is going on, they can wait a couple of minutes for the replay and the marks.

While one of the outcomes of a nationals competition is about who will get sent to take on the best in the world, for me a lot of the pleasure is seeing improvement in skaters, and skaters having their surprisingly positive performance moment. I love to watch them grow and perform, even if they will never be top ten in the world or even compete internationally. IMO it is a narrow view of the sport to only consider international success.

So I think I watched every minute of Canadians this year, and enjoyed every minute (OK a few minutes of the Senior Mens short I was pretty sad about). In particular, watching Fiona Bombardier improve so much not just year-to-year but also from earlier this autumn, when her jumps looked pretty crazy. From her interviews (and performances), she is a very determined, focussed and joyful skater. Congrats to her and hope her career keeps going upwards. Also to Kaiya who is recovering so well from her horrific injury that took her out of training for so long. Again, her determination and joy are wonderful to watch. I could go on with so many wonderful moments but they could fill a notebook!