2023 Europeans: Ice Dance | Thoughts | Golden Skate

2023 Europeans: Ice Dance | Thoughts

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The Italians finally got their elusive gold!

I noted that the Italians and Brits both received a 69.05 for the TES 🥴

I really enjoyed watching the event. I particularly enjoyed Taschlerova and Taschler's FD. I'd like to see her extend some of the leg movements a bit more in the diagonal steps, but they are really fast! Great job Matteo Zanni!

What are your thoughts on the Ice Dance event overall?

DancingCactus

Final Flight
I would have wished for the Brits to win, but knew it wasn't very likely. Still, they brought the house down!

I feel like ID is the only discipline where the European field is on the same level as the North American (and certainly Asian one), except maybe for a few top pairs. But the pairs placed 3-10 were all very exciting, excellent quality and so many interesting choreos.
I was especially impressed with the Taschlers this time.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Charlène and Marco are European champions! So happy for them, so deserved and they both looked so happy and emotional.

I thought their RD looked the best they've skated it all season, really sharp and precise. The FD, on the other hand, looked a bit more tentative and nervy.

Lilah and Lewis had a similarly nervy FD and got some rather generous GOE (2.84) for a step sequence with a stumble. Their dance spin, however, was awesome and probably deserved a higher GOE than it receives.

Juulia and Matthais have a beautiful FD, that combo lift, which the crowd rightly went wild for, was amazing!

Nice to see such a happy podium! And congratulations to Barbara and Maurizio for returning to the Europeans podium via their dance teams!

Last edited:

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I was lucky with my table reservation. My first tought was to see the first five while I eat and then go to my place to balcony. But the restaurant was so full I got to my table delayed. When I have gotten my food a lady with her daughter came to ask if they can sit into the same table because there was room and we had a nice chat. Service was so slow that I was ready just when group 3 started, but the lady and her daughter were not ready and we came alone so well so I took a drink and stayed with them. When they were ordering a dessert they said kitchen will soon be closed and so we were allowed to sit into that table during the whole event because they did not take any more clients at that time. It was amazing to eat and watch ID at the same time.

I have been very careful not to praise the Finns too much tough I have liked both already when they single skaters, especially Juulia already when she was a junior she was my favourite. I am surprised how popular they are and they are lovely I am proud of us Finns after own couple had done well we applauding, especially the Brits by our full heart. I cannot describe how ID is just something you must see live. I have never been big fun of it by watching TV. I just watched the last group and I understand now the difference. The cover of ice and the speed just is something which cannot be felt trough TV so well as live. So I recommend you all who don't like Id but have opportunity to watch it live, go!

As many other's also mine one of favorites is the Czech siblings. The music choice is well done for siblings. I know they divide opinions but IMO the choreo and music is thought accurate to be suitable for siblings.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Charlène and Marco are European champions! So happy for them, so deserved and they both looked so happy and emotional.

I thought their RD looked the best they've skated it all season, really sharp and precise. The FD, on the other hand, looked a bit more tentative and nervy.

Lilah and Lewis had a similarly nervy FD and got some rather generous GOE (2.84) for a step sequence with a stumble. Their dance spin, however, was awesome and probably deserved a higher GOE than it receives.

Juulia and Matthais have a beautiful FD, that combo lift, which the crowd rightly went wild for, was amazing!

Nice to see such a happy podium! And congratulations to Barbara and Maurizio for returning to the Europeans podium via their dance teams!
All three on the podium were deserved though I could see Ms. Reed being in third instead. I know for years Fear and Gibson have been the it team. And then a bit of a blip. I think it will be interesting where Fear and Gibson place against the CDanadians and H and B from the US. One of the world bronze medal teams will get buried in the past it has been Piper and Paul, Weaver and Poje