2023 Europeans: Info & Pregame Chat | Golden Skate

2023 Europeans: Info & Pregame Chat

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2023 European Figure Skating Championships will take place January 23-29, 2023, at the Metro Areena in Espoo, Finland. The event is sanctioned by the International Skating Union (ISU) and is one of the four (World, Four Continents, and World Junior Championships) annual figure skating competitions designated “ISU Championships.” Skaters must belong to a European member nation of the ISU to compete and must be at least fifteen before July 1 of the previous year.

Below are the scores that must be achieved at an ISU-recognized international event during the ongoing season or the preceding season (2021-22). SP/RD and FS/FD scores may be attained at different events.

Minimum Technical Scores (TES)

DisciplineSP/RDFS/FD
Men28.0046.00
Women25.0042.00
Pairs25.0042.00
Ice Dance28.0045.00

The Minimum Technical Elements Score (not including Component Scores) is a Technical Score and must have been reached in an ISU recognized International Competition (as per Article 39, paragraph 7 of the ISU Constitution and Rule 107, paragraphs 1 to 10 of the ISU General Regulations) during the ongoing or preceding season in both segments, Short Program/Rhythm Dance and Free Skating/Free Dance (See ISU Special Regulations Single & Pair Skating Ice Dance, Rule 378, paragraph 3).

While the Minimum Technical Elements Score must be reached separately in each segment (not a total of the two segments), the Minimum Technical Elements Score for each segment may be reached at different competitions. The Minimum Technical Elements Score must be reached 21 (twenty-one) days before the first day (first official practice day) of the Championships concerned (same as entry deadline).

Last edited:

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Because organized in Finland, I will go. I have now individual tickets, all-event was so expensive and my first thought was to be there only Friday and Saturday, but later I negotiated with my boss and I can have also Thursday free. I bought some ice-level2 tickets and some balcony tickets. If there will be separate practice tickets for sale, I consider if I will buy it for one day. The venue is the same as at Finlandia Trophy and GP.

There are still plenty of seats unreserved when I checked yesterday, but I did not check all events. This will be broadcast at national TV channel, so hopefully people get more information about it unlike about GP Espoo.

Has your country/do you if somebody has made the selections yet? Finland makes it's own after nationals. The placement of nationals does not affect to selections, only scores will be count. I have explained it before in some other threads, but here again: two best scores counted together is the system. From national competitions only nationals or qualification for nats will be counted, but any international ISU competition can replace scores from nationals if better and another one must be CS or GP. Finland has this season only one spot to each discipline.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I understand that our country will do the selections after Golden Spin. Some are already chosen like Lindsay (not officially but she is the only woman competing in seniors afaik) but the pairs (only one spot at Europeans, 2 at Worlds) and ID are still to come! But I will also cheer others on, I love so many skaters! Our Nationals won't be until February as it is always part of the Challenge Cup. There regrettably are no men at this point in time, so I will just cheer your Valtter on! And a few others, like all Italian skaters, just as well.

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I answer questions asked in Espoo GP thread, but I think people are not interested in it so much any more, so if something is wrong in my answer, please be kind and let me know. I think people living in Helsinki-Espoo area or nearby can give better answers but I can give some to moving to Metro-Areena.

I have always preferred to stay at Helsinki (if I have not stayed at my brothers, but he does not live very near) and after when subway line was open I have preferred subway. If you buy HSL ticket to AB area, you can use bus, tram or subway in that area. If you just go to place and back, individual tickets are cheaper, but in that case tickets are valid for a certain time. For that reason I have bought tickets which are valid the days I stay in area. AB is needed, if you want to move between Helsinki and Metro Areena (Urheilupuisto stop is where you have to leave the subway) . There is an HSL info or named something like that and there is people who advice. I went there to be sure which area ticket I need and a lady who adviced me told that AB does not include all parts of Espoo. There are also option to buy i ticket for certain value. Then you have to stamp your ticket. To make things easy, I buy unlimited three days ticket as I will be moving there between Thu-Sat.

I reserved hotel first from Thursday to Saturday but later I included one day and it was already more expensive, so I recommend you to reserve your hotel in time. If you don't pay it in advance, you can cancel it without costs if you cancel it in given time.

The arena is not very big and I think at lower level balcony you can see quite well. I bought ID and women's SP to upper level at balcony and I hope I can go to eat for a while and then if I am lucky I get a table from which can see to the ice. If I had known earlier I can have also Thursday free, probably I would had bought all-even tickets to the first row at balcony. I am not sure but I think at the Arena Worlds 2017 was hold, the upper ice level was about as high as balcony at Metro Areena. One short answer why Europeans are not hold there: war and owners. No more discussion about this here, please, speakeasy is the right place to discuss about it. I think those words tell enough.

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
If you don't have all-event ticket but want to go to see some practices, there is now also separate practice tickets for sale, 10 €/day. I will decide later if I will buy it for one day.

npavel

On the Ice
I remember last time I bought a week ticket or something like that. Do they still have it? I arrive on Monday and leave on Sunday, am in the centrum of Helsinki and havo to go to Espoo every day, maybe sometime more than once. Have I to buy it before or just at the airport?

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I remember last time I bought a week ticket or something like that. Do they still have it? I arrive on Monday and leave on Sunday, am in the centrum of Helsinki and havo to go to Espoo every day, maybe sometime more than once. Have I to buy it before or just at the airport?

There are still some all event tickets left. https://www.ticketmaster.fi/event/i...espoo-all-event-lippuja/309435?language=en-us

I don't have all event ticket myself, because I can be there from Thursday to Saturday and first I thought I can be only Friday and Saturday, so I bought Thursday tickets later.

npavel

On the Ice

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Sorry, I have an all'event ticket. I was asking for train tickets from Helsinki to Espoo and back, and from airport to Helsinki and back
Sorry, I read you message to quick. Yes, they are different quite of tickets and you can buy a week ticket or ticket for some days and use it unlimited in all HSL vehicles, trams, subways and buses. Subway is the fastest and best way to go from Helsinki to Espoo. You must stamp it when you first time use it and it is valid from that time you stamp it first time. You don't need to stamp it more than once. If you go to railway station and find HSL office, there are people who will help you if you need help and buy you ticket there. They talk English, it is demanded from them who work there.

Novalis

Record Breaker
Sorry, I have an all'event ticket. I was asking for train tickets from Helsinki to Espoo and back, and from airport to Helsinki and back
The website that can help you here is hsl.fi/en

Remember that the hotel in the center of helsinki is in zone A, Metro Arena in Espoo in zone B, and the airport in Vantaa in zone C.

So between airport and hotel you need ABC ticket (and train is the best option), and between hotel and arena AB ticket is enough (and subway is an amazing option)

Andrea82

Medalist
The Judges' draw outcome was

MEN

Austria
Bulgaria
Croatia
Estonia
Finland
Great Britain
Germany
Hungary
Italy
Latvia
Poland
Slovakia
Turkey

WOMEN

Austria
Belgium
Bulgaria
Estonia
Great Britain
Georgia
Germany
Hungary
Israel
Netherlands
Norway
Switzerland
Turkey

PAIRS

Croatia
Czech Republic
Denmark
Spain
Finland
France
Great Britain
Germany
Hungary
Italy
Netherlands
Sweden
Ukraine

ICE DANCE

Azerbaijan
Czech Republic
Spain
Estonia
France
Great Britain
Germany
Hungary
Italy
Lithuania
Netherlands
Poland
Switzerland

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Regrettably, I have the feeling I won't be able to watch the US championships, let alone rewind the stuff (because the timing is usually no help for me). Last year I could watch the live scoring, but not the performances. I'm glad with Europeans taking place which I can (and will) watch, but it's still a shame. Last weekend I could watch all of Canadians, which was very enjoyable.

mrrice

Record Breaker
How has Deniss been skating this season? Do you think he'll be able to defend his Bronze from last year.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
ugh.. Winter needs more weeks!

As I preferred a Nationals this week, it's definitely Euros this time - but with the time difference and a bit of streaming luck, I may be able to watch both 🤔
Are you kookoo ? Winter in Canada is already way too long... NO WAY ! I am just going to skip US Nationals because I doubt there will be streaming anyways... Will watch Euros.

yesterday

Record Breaker
Are you kookoo ? Winter in Canada is already way too long... NO WAY ! I am just going to skip US Nationals because I doubt there will be streaming anyways... Will watch Euros.
Haha - I just meant more weeks to spread out competitions more. "Winter" as it's the main part of the season but with ice rinks we can extend that of course. I wouldn't mind a 11 month figure skating season where everyone gets to choose their tournaments and having enough options for every skater, like in tennis. But I know, just a dream.