2023 Team Japan (WC/JWC/4CC) | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2023 Team Japan (WC/JWC/4CC)

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Classless is just coming out and saying what you feel, directly insulting someone. As the ace of Japanese men's skating, he's entitled to an opinion, and I have no issue with the diplomatic means with which he expressed it.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, being an ace shouldn't make one iota of a difference. I have one as well, and I do find it offensive to insinuate he has an issue with either of Kazuki or Sota being selected. Especially if they were still around. Nothing diplomatic about that in my books. He could have said No comment, that would be diplomatic. YMMV. Maybe I should have said 'tactless', that sums up my impression better.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Nothing diplomatic about that in my books. He could have said No comment, that would be diplomatic.
That would deny him the right to express an opinion, which you previously mentioned that everyone has.

You're assuming he said something that he didn't actually say, and he can plausibly deny that he said anything like that, while at the same time making his feelings known. That is the epitome of diplomacy.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
While I give the JSF a passing grade for at least following their own rules, where they really fail the sport is in being so opaque in their decision-making. The fans that support the sport deserve to hear the rationale behind their picks.

readernick

Medalist
Of course Shoma is upset that his training mate wasn’t selected. That’s a very natural reaction. He’s human. And, that decision was surprising to most people. Japanese federation usually prioritizes the podium above all else. Skaters assume if they land on the podium, have the minimums, and are seniors they will be selected.

I’m not saying I disagree with the decision but I was surprised. Fans certainly expressed their disappointment about Mana and Koko being chosen last year over their favorites even though that wasn’t actually a surprising decision given JSF’s former preference for selecting the podium. So, of course, some people will be surprised / upset by this. The selection of Sota is a very USF thing to do, not a JSF thing. I’m fine with any selection that follows the rules but it’s not what I thought would happen .

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
The Japanese news outlet provided us with the rationale behind the controversial decision. It was about world rankings and best technical scores for this season.

Open mouth. Insert foot. For starters, an explanation now needs to be provided for using world rankings in the first place when JFed notably only sent a handful of skaters to Challengers and world ranking isn’t an accurate reflection of a skater’s level for the current season. Didn’t they use season rankings? Season’s best? Additionally, this actually calls into question Tomono’s selection. If a combination of world (season?) standings and TES were used, why was he chosen over Sato? Nationals results certainly don’t matter so that one point couldn’t have made the difference. And I’m saying this while agreeing with the choice.

I said it last year and I’ll say it again. Selection criteria shouldn’t box skaters in or out. . It also shouldn’t discredit Nationals results. If the rules result in picking a skater that’s not the strongest choice, then that means there’s something wrong with the black and white. Otherwise, skaters will continue to express their confusion and disappointment and Jfed will find that they’ll have to explain to news outlets next year too.

surimi

Record Breaker
That would deny him the right to express an opinion, which you previously mentioned that everyone has.

You're assuming he said something that he didn't actually say, and he can plausibly deny that he said anything like that, while at the same time making his feelings known. That is the epitome of diplomacy.

I said he has a right to have an opinion. As to voicing it aloud about his teammate, to all the press assembled, that's where our opinions differ. I find it in poor taste, tactless and undiplomatic, and undermining his teammate's legitimacy. I have never heard of another Team Japan skater speaking like this of a fellow team member, no matter their personal feelings on the selection matter. I wonder if you'd be as generous about being vocal with one's opinions if it wasn't Shoma but, say, Hanyu having an unfavorable opinion on another skater's pick.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Can someone say what are the criteria for JWC selection?
I always assumed that the one or two remaining spots automatically go the the top two finishers who are junior eligible, with or without junior minima. But maybe there is another criterium.

YuBluByMe

Final Flight
Can someone say what are the criteria for JWC selection?
I always assumed that the one or two remaining spots automatically go the the top two finishers who are junior eligible, with or without junior minima. But maybe there is another criterium.
It’s the same as the WC selection, right down to mandatory participation. Off the top of my head: Junior Champion is selected. Further consideration goes to second and third place at Junior Nationals, top two Japanese finishers at JGPF. Top 3 finishers at Senior Nationals (I remember thinking this was funny) and SB.

JFed isn’t in the practice of naming skaters to teams if they don’t have their minimums, unless they don’t have a choice. They’ll just skip over the skater and name the next in line.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
It’s the same as the WC selection, right down to mandatory participation. Off the top of my head: Junior Champion is selected. Further consideration goes to second and third place at Junior Nationals, top two Japanese finishers at JGPF. Top 3 finishers at Senior Nationals (I remember thinking this was funny) and SB.

JFed isn’t in the practice of naming skaters to teams if they don’t have their minimums, unless they don’t have a choice. They’ll just skip over the skater and name the next in line.
Well, it's surprising.

JSF gave a spot to Rinka while she didn't had the minima (she got them at bavarian open). And there were definitely alternatives. So i don't think having minima matter that much.

The weight of junior nats seems close to 0. I too laughed when i learned that junior spots were decided on a senior competition .

readernick

Medalist
I said he has a right to have an opinion. As to voicing it aloud about his teammate, to all the press assembled, that's where our opinions differ. I find it in poor taste, tactless and undiplomatic, and undermining his teammate's legitimacy. I have never heard of another Team Japan skater speaking like this of a fellow team member, no matter their personal feelings on the selection matter. I wonder if you'd be as generous about being vocal with one's opinions if it wasn't Shoma but, say, Hanyu having an unfavorable opinion on another skater's pick.
He did not say anything about a fellow team member. Shoma is constantly self deprecating and complementary to fellow skaters. Please don’t make things up. He said he didn’t know how he felt about the selection criteria and then said he didn’t want to say anymore. Honestly, this feels like you are trying to make drama about a perfectly normal reaction due to your personal feelings about Shoma.

About Hanyu, he has said far more controversial things than this including making quotes that suggested he at least partially agreed with some of the more crazy opinions of his most fervent fans. I certainly never had an issue with him stating his opinion even though I disagreed with a number of the suggestions he was making. He has a right to express himself. I can’t understand why anyone would be offended by this very very mild criticism from Shoma. This is truly much ado about nothing.

Last edited:

surimi

Record Breaker
He did not say anything about a fellow team member. Shoma is constantly self deprecating and complementary to fellow skaters. Please don’t make things up. He said he didn’t know how he felt about the selection criteria and then said he didn’t want to say anymore. Honestly, this feels like you are trying to make drama about a perfectly normal reaction due to your personal feelings about Shoma.

About Hanyu, he has said far more controversial things than this including making quotes that suggested he are least partially agreed with some of the more crazy opinions of his most fervent fans. I certainly never had an issue with him stating his opinion even though I disagreed with a number of the suggestions he was making. He has a right to express himself. I can’t understand why anyone would be offended by this very very mild criticism from Shoma. This is truly much ado about nothing.

"there are parts of me that don't feel happy [about the selection]" is probably a part of Shoma being complimentary in your world, and he's obviously completely fine with who was selected. There are probably many, many such quotes out there about the selection of fellow team members from other Japanese world champions. Sure. Believe that if you want.
I don't want to discuss this anymore, and kindly stop your assumptions of what I'm trying to do, and what my feelings are about Shoma. That would be appreciated.

YuBluByMe

Final Flight
The weight of junior nats seems close to 0. I too laughed when i learned that junior spots were decided on a senior competition .
Indeed. Junior Nationals mean nothing. I disagree with Miura’s selection, but not because JFed went against their selection criteria. Strategically, it makes sense as Yoshioka and Nakamura aren’t the best team to regain the third spot.

I disagree because I strongly dislike sending skaters who competed at the senior level and are competitive at the senior level to junior competitions. Also, sending Nakamura isn’t a bad choice at all anyway. Japan probably won’t gain the third spot back but they certainly won’t lose one and they should be able to keep the JGP spots too.

surimi

Record Breaker
And you didn't hear it here either, your reading between the lines notwithstanding.

And right you are, he was probably talking about his unhappiness over the women's or pairs selections, or about another Nationals! 🫡 Whatever.

YuBluByMe

Final Flight
Heh, perhaps Uno was displeased at not being named to the 4CC team.