2023 U.S. Nationals | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2023 U.S. Nationals

noskates

Record Breaker
In case someone didn't already post this, SAP Center does allow outside food. And there is a great Whole Foods market just a block or so from the arena. Hopefully their policies haven't changed because the food selection in the arena is abysmal - unless you like eating hot dogs, pretzels, popcorn and pizza for 5 days. SAP has great vendors but I guess they don't deem the skating attendees as enough people to open their stands. The weekend was a little better but still not great.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In 2019, the junior and senior practices and competitions were held at Little Ceasar's Arena. The novice, intermediate and juvenile practices and comps were held away over in Bloomfield Hills. Before the event, I wasn't a fan of the new arena. The Joe Louis Arena held so much history and meaning for all sorts of people**, and I hate to see that honoring of tradition and history ... relapse. But Little Ceasar's is SO nice. Well designed. And much more readily and easily accessible for all. I really enjoyed the event immensely (I only went to the Sr. events) and I suppose I became a convert. They created a "history" room with a lot (or all) of the Joe Louis memorabilia.

**A friend attended part of 2013 Skate America with me at the Joe Louis. She'd never been to a figure skating event before, but she was so thrilled to be 3rd row from the very ice that her hockey legend favorite had skated on!
LCA is indeed amazing. They seemed so pleased to have us there. I really thought there would be more events there and even heard rumors they would bid for Worlds but so far nothing.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
In case someone didn't already post this, SAP Center does allow outside food. And there is a great Whole Foods market just a block or so from the arena. Hopefully their policies haven't changed because the food selection in the arena is abysmal - unless you like eating hot dogs, pretzels, popcorn and pizza for 5 days. SAP has great vendors but I guess they don't deem the skating attendees as enough people to open their stands. The weekend was a little better but still not great.
Just an FYI. One nats there they did let people bring in food early in the week. The didnt want to open the hot dog stands. The whole foods store is great and you see so many skaters. Lets all hope staffing issues dont effect the whole foods store....here is Spokane, major eateries are cutting back on hours and even cutting off breakfasts all together as no one wants the jobs that are available.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie was clean this weekend at ice dreams this weekend. She seemed to be enjoying her two routines, so if she comes back and doesn't stress out she could be in the top skaters.
You have no idea how happy this makes me. Looking forward to seeing her at Ice Dreams on June 5 in Chicago area. Was she skating her competition programs from last season?

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
We have done that before over the years. It was fun. I suggested we all wear my provided GS creds so we could recognize each other but many are too shy. PaulE had a special GS had made. Hopefully we shall do something like we did before.
View attachment 5305
Does Camden plan on continuing his career. He really is a favorite of mine. I think he'd be a great show skater if he's done competing.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does Camden plan on continuing his career. He really is a favorite of mine. I think he'd be a great show skater if he's done competing.

Camden is continuing competitions. I think last years' Nats and this year's Worlds were a real confidence boost for him. (He should thank Nathan for withdrawing from Worlds and Jason for declining the alternate spot. Just kidding :biggrin: )

He plans to train in New York while attending Columbia. That said, I don't know how much of the GP he can do and study as well. Nathan was fine with it, but it was a struggle for Vincent.