2023 World Team Trophy - General Info | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2023 World Team Trophy - General Info

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
That is the only justification I can think of 🤔
I do not think his performance desserves a demotion as you say. I mean, it makes no sense... how many times did chiu, gogo and roman mess up big time and did not get demoted?

My feeling, after a night of sleep is that Skate Canada told the 3 boys after Nationals : chiu, you go to jwc.. gogo and conrad, you go to 4cc... the top finisher will go to worlds, the other will get wtt...

That is all i can imagine at this point.

Last edited:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Here's some trivia. When Andrew withdrew from the 2018 JGPF, Stephen replaced him and won the event. I looked up Stephen's birthday just now assuming that Andrew and him were around the same age, but Stephen is three and a half years younger than Andrew. Mind-blowingly, Stephen was still 13 when he won 2018 JGPF! :eek: That's barely old enough to compete on the JGP and he won the Final! Stephen is still only 18 but I feel like I've been hearing about him for so long that it seems like he's older.

I hope Stephen can do better at Nationals next year. 17th in the SP is crazy for someone like him, especially when the other non-Keegan men are so inconsistent themselves. He won the free, but gosh, he dug himself into a hole. The retirements "should" have made his job easier, but not if he doesn't do his jumps. He jumped so well as a junior, but his growth has not been kind to him. Did he lose his jumping technique completely when he grew or something?

:ot: - sorry.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Here's a bit of trivia. When Andrew withdrew from the 2018 JGPF, Stephen replaced him and won the event. I looked up Stephen's birthday just now assuming that Andrew and him were around the same age, but Stephen is almost three and a half years younger than Andrew. Mind-blowingly, Stephen was still 13 when he won 2018 JGPF! :eek: That's barely old enough to compete on the JGP and he won the Final! Stephen is still only 18 but I feel like I've been hearing about him for so long that it seems like he's older.

I hope Stephen can do better at Nationals next year. 17th in the SP is crazy for someone like him, especially when the other non-Keegan men are so inconsistent themselves. He won the free, but gosh, he dug himself into a hole. The retirements "should" have made his job easier, but not if he doesn't do his jumps. He jumped so well as a junior, but his growth has not been kind to him. Did he lose his jumping technique completely when he grew or something?

Yeah... Stephen was a baby owner of many quads :) his growth spurt really derailed his technique. He looks better in his body but I think his confidence was lost in the process of having to relearn everything... Completely different trajectory with Conrad who only started to jump the big elements when he was done growing, as he said that he finally had the power to achieve the big jumps... Unfortunately, he had the worst ever technique... Ravi has done wonders with him, starting from improving his basic stroking. Conrad sets up in much better patterns now. In the end, those two boys represent the future of men skating in Canada with a few others (Chiu, Newnham, Vasii) and it will interesting to see how they develop... funny trivia for you, I discovered both Stephen and Conrad when they competed for the junior title...Stephen won "on PCS" yeah... and I was upset... Conrad had a fabulous green costume... and i just love green... :)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
How many of these skaters will be at the WTT? I say fly them all to Vegas for a week so we can see them too.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
YouTube says this is what the new Korean Pair team at WTT is using for music.

Hyejin CHO / Steven ADCOCK KOR
SP: "Nero" by Nick Phoenix/Thomas Bergersen
FS: Piano Concerto No. 2 by Rachmaninoff

Meanwhile the Korean junior dance team is also competing at WTT.

Hannah LIM / Ye QUAN KOR
RD: Milonga: "Primavera Portena"
FD: "Danse Macabre, Op. 40" by Camille Saint-Saëns; choreo by Romain Haguenauer(RD), Marie-France Dubreuil(FD)

The music is the same as their junior music, except that "Primavera Portena" is now labelled a Milonga instead of a tango and the choreographers are suddenly Romain & Marie-France.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker

From what I read on social media at the time, Stephen had to drive his mother to hospital whilst competition was ongoing.

Regarding Conrad, didn't he have multiple boot issues? I thought he had to break in new boots at worlds, so that would impact any WTT preparation?

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I do not think his performance desserves a demotion as you say. I mean, it makes no sense... how many times did chiu, gogo and roman mess up big time and did not get demoted?

My feeling, after a night of sleep is that Skate Canada told the 3 boys after Nationals : chiu, you go to jwc.. gogo and conrad, you go to 4cc... the top finisher will go to worlds, the other will get wtt...

That is all i can imagine at this point.
That actually makes the most sense to me. This would explain why Chiu is next Sub in.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
That actually makes the most sense to me. This would explain why Chiu is next Sub in.
i know :) there is no way his performance at worlds meant he was no longer good enough. Not the way he skated and with the broken blade.

sammylee

Rinkside
Country
South-Korea

Hannah LIM / Ye QUAN KOR
FD: "Danse Macabre, Op. 40" by Camille Saint-Saëns; choreo by Romain Haguenauer(RD), Marie-France Dubreuil(FD)

The music is the same as their junior music, except that "Primavera Portena" is now labelled a Milonga instead of a tango and the choreographers are suddenly Romain & Marie-France.
Hannah and Ye recently changed their RD to "Don't Go Yet" by Camila Cabello
They decided to use a senior RD instead of using "Primavera Portena"

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

Hannah LIM / Ye QUAN KOR

So glad Korea and Japan are coming along in Pairs and dance....Just not crazy about Rachmaninoff.....
Now if I could juuuuuust get Haein to smile for me....and brighten up those cherry blossoms a bit....

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I'm glad it will be on Peacock!

I'm not sure why Isabeau needs a redemption skate? She finished 4th at her first senior worlds at barely 16 years old.
Agreed. Isabeau was fine at worlds - more than fine. 4th at her first worlds. Though with less pressure we may see her do even better here. The US looks real strong as well as Japan. It is close with Japan. If Japan doesn't wins pairs and loses to the US and Malinin beats Shoma - who knows. Jason won't win the men's even but he is consistent.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Agreed. Isabeau was fine at worlds - more than fine. 4th at her first worlds. Though with less pressure we may see her do even better here. The US looks real strong as well as Japan. It is close with Japan. If Japan doesn't wins pairs and loses to the US and Malinin beats Shoma - who knows. Jason won't win the men's even but he is consistent.
at wtt, the deciding factor is usually singles... the 2nd man and 2nd woman will be the ones to watch for... What Japan may make up in pairs and with singles will be evened out in dance. So it's all about where will the American Woman, especially number 2 will end up.

Men : blood bath. A guy like Jason or even Keegan could end up near the top 3 or near the bottom 3... it's crazy... everyone in this event is basically top 10 material at worlds except for Gogo and Lee.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
A little more info on the Korean Pair. They are Canadians, basically, who competed as seniors at Korean Nationals. Steven Adcock is 27. He used to skate for Canada.

Cho competed at 2020 Canadian Novice Championships and won the Toller Cranston Memorial Fund award. She represented Alberta/NWT/Nunavut and was coached by Ravi Walia. She finished 7th overall. She was 14 then, so would be about 17 now.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
A little more info on the Korean Pair. They are Canadians, basically, who competed as seniors at Korean Nationals. Steven Adcock is 27. He used to skate for Canada.

Cho competed at 2020 Canadian Novice Championships and won the Toller Cranston Memorial Fund award. She represented Alberta/NWT/Nunavut and was coached by Ravi Walia. She finished 7th overall. She was 14 then, so would be about 17 now.

Ted was right. She was delightful there....brought a smile to my face as I sit here in yet another Graupel/snow/ wind storm. With Thundersnow...Grrrrrrrr. :rofl:
(good to see Ravi)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i know :) there is no way his performance at worlds meant he was no longer good enough. Not the way he skated and with the broken blade.
I did not realize until very recently that Conrad actually broke his blade at Worlds. Very unlucky.

It might be, and I don't know this - only surmising - that Conrad said, "That's enough for this season. I need to get my equipment in order so I can continue to focus on improving." It's a big thing, and pretty big money, to pass up, but with his gear problems, maybe he thought it was for the best?

Otherwise, I cannot figure out why he was passed over for Gogolev.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
This is gonna be a fun comp for me...I like so many of the skaters and love watching the team spirit...If someone would sell a two DVD set of the entire event I would be all over it like stink on a monkey. I have my own self made DVD collection of past events to keep me warm over the summer.....

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

more trivia, Adcock is actually British and did represent GBR before moving and representing Canada... he had quite a few partners. I thought he had retired but with covid... we have seen a few athletes who were not international competitors reemerge. I saw them at the Korean Nationals and with Cho, they form a good team.

Last edited: