2023 Worlds: Info & Pregame Chat | Golden Skate

2023 Worlds: Info & Pregame Chat

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2023 World Figure Skating Championships will take place March 20-26, 2023, in Saitama, Japan, at the Saitama Super Arena. Worlds is an annual figure skating competition sanctioned by the International Skating Union. ISU Member nations select their entries according to their own criteria and skaters must be at least fifteen before July 1, 2022 to compete at this event.

Below are the scores that must be achieved at an ISU-recognized international event in the ongoing or preceding two seasons. SP/RD and FS/FD scores may be attained at different events.

Minimum Technical Scores (TES)

DisciplineSP/RDFS/FD
Men3464
Women3253
Pairs2946
Ice Dance3349

Based on the results of the 2022 World Championships, each ISU member nation can field one to three entries per discipline. Russia and Belarus were banned from participating due to the Russian military offensive in Ukraine. If ISU member country is not listed below, only one entry is allowed. China did not participate due to COVID-19 protocols so can only field one entry.

2023 World Entries

SpotsMenWomenPairsDance
3Japan
United States
Belgium
Japan
South Korea
United States
Canada
Japan
United States
France
United States
2Canada
France
Georgia
Italy
Azerbaijan
Georgia
Germany
Austria
France
Georgia
Germany
Great Britain
Netherlands
Canada
Great Britain
Italy
Lithuania
Spain

niko

Spectator
Does anyone with know where and information about volunteering in Saitama might be found or what timeframe could be expected? Maybe from past experiences? :) Neither the official website nor JSF seem to have any information atm.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi, I think I may have just won tickets to Worlds!!! However, I don't see the supposed ticket charges in my bank account yet. I'm concerned that I may have registered my debit card instead of my credit card with the website, is there a way to check that and correct it if necessary? Should I just wait a day or two??? I input ticket requests for multiple days, thinking I would only have a shot at winning one of the tickets, but I seem to have won more than one ticket... Is there a way to cancel some of my ticket requests? Have any of you used this ticket lottery system before??? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.....

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I won an all-event ticket and am experiencing the same weirdness with the payment. I got a Notification of Payment Confirmation email but the payment has not posted--same situation for my friend. So I'm guessing you didn't make any mistake and are in the same boat as we are. Strangely, when I made the initial application for tickets, the full ticket price immediately posted to my account as a pending charge and then dropped off as soon as the application period ended--this convinced me I didn't win. Anyway, i don't think there is a problem here. That said, if my payment doesn't post by Friday morning, I will email e-tix customer service :)

I don't think ticket exchanges are allowed and may have seen somewhere on the website that foreign purchasers cannot participate in the e-tix ticket exchange. But all is not lost. If what's past is prologue there will be people at the arena's Saitama-Shintoshin train station looking to buy tickets.

This is neither here nor there, but I won tickets through this system for 2018 NHK and also for 2019 Worlds practice tickets. The tickets stay on the app forever! I cannot for the life of me figure out how to delete them.

yuumagical

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I won an all-event ticket and am experiencing the same weirdness with the payment. I got a Notification of Payment Confirmation email but the payment has not posted--same situation for my friend. So I'm guessing you didn't make any mistake and are in the same boat as we are. Strangely, when I made the initial application for tickets, the full ticket price immediately posted to my account as a pending charge and then dropped off as soon as the application period ended--this convinced me I didn't win. Anyway, i don't think there is a problem here. That said, if my payment doesn't post by Friday morning, I will email e-tix customer service :)

I don't think ticket exchanges are allowed and may have seen somewhere on the website that foreign purchasers cannot participate in the e-tix ticket exchange. But all is not lost. If what's past is prologue there will be people at the arena's Saitama-Shintoshin train station looking to buy tickets.

This is neither here nor there, but I won tickets through this system for 2018 NHK and also for 2019 Worlds practice tickets. The tickets stay on the app forever! I cannot for the life of me figure out how to delete them.
Oh wow, glad to have found someone in a similar situation as myself! I spoke to someone on Twitter whose payment posted immediately to their account. They suspected that maybe that was due to their bank's lack of a foreign transfer fee. My bank has foreign transfer fees, so this could be a plausible explanation. Both of you have suggested waiting, so I guess I'll just wait now...*sigh*

I'm also glad that to hear that there have been plenty of Japanese fans willing to buy extra tickets in the past (Though will there be enough of them this season after Hanyu's retirement? I hope so.). Reselling the tickets to a non-Japanese person would involve a lot of expenses on their part for a ticket I wouldn't be able to guarantee for them 100% (as I am unfamiliar with how this ticket system works).

Honestly, I think you should treasure the old e-tickets as memories of good times! 😁 Thanks again!

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Seems to be a big demand for 3/25 individual tickets (Men's Free and FD). A friend of mine in Japan was able to get tickets for 3/23 and 3/24 but was shut out for 3/25.

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
I got individual tickets for 22-23 Mar and 2 tickets for 24 Mar to watch with my partner!! 😆 Off to Japan we go!

So happy with the result, I won 3 out of 4 - the only one I lost was the one for the 25th, As beebee51 said, there seemed to be huge demand for that day ey. Which surprises me, I thought the ladies event usually is more popular than the men.

I paid through Paypal just now and everything went smoothly, I can see the charges in my bank account immediately. Even managed to do Paypal in 4 instalment for the most expensive tix 🤭

yuumagical

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So happy with the result, I won 3 out of 4 - the only one I lost was the one for the 25th, As beebee51 said, there seemed to be huge demand for that day ey. Which surprises me, I thought the ladies event usually is more popular than the men.
Well, with a potential appearance from world champion Shoma Uno and a potential quadruple axel from Ilia Malinin, I believe there's plenty on the men's side to be excited about! 😉

Anyway, I received an email from Tixplus today.

"Dear (yuumagical),

Thank you for using 『Tixplus』.

Thank you for your purchase 【SAITAMA JAPAN 2023】ticket.

This is notice about 【SAITAMA JAPAN 2023 ISU World Figure Skating Championships ®】ticket applications and purchases.

We have confirmed cases if (sic) duplicate lottery wins and purchases.
Tickets are limited to one per person.
In addition, only the applicant (buyer) may use the tickets and enter the venue.

On this occasion, only "All event ticket" will be seen as valid.
One day ticket will not be seen as valid and the payment will be canceled.

Upon confirming the above information, please see the detailed information below to contact us."

It then provides information about how to contact Tixplus with regards to canceling the extra tickets.

Honestly, I think I will respond to them and follow the ticket cancellation procedure listed. It would just be too much hassle to find buyers for tickets that may not be valid.

Country
United-States
Is there a list somewhere of everyone who has met the minimum technical requirements so far? I know that you can search for a specific person on skatingscores, but I couldn't find a way to see a full list of everyone.

yesterday

Record Breaker
Is there a list somewhere of everyone who has met the minimum technical requirements so far? I know that you can search for a specific person on skatingscores, but I couldn't find a way to see a full list of everyone.
The database queries on skatingscores allow something like this. The problem is, you can't exclude retired/pausing skaters and it will only show a max. of 35 entries.

It could be done perhaps with seperate queries for this and last season, copy them together, remove skaters that won't attend and see how farr this list will go.

But I guess/hope there's a better solution out there and someone else will have it 🙂

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

yesterday

Record Breaker
Well that was not the question ;)
we looked for a list of skaters+their scores, not the competitions and the numbers from ISU-pdf

yesterday

Record Breaker
The links are in there...
I tried them but the static ISU lists are just not usable like theay are :scratch2:
no filters, wrong order, no cap, nothing
I don't know who would give them out as they do 😅 as least for this question they are not "the answer" but they answer the question "Who competed in [discipline] during the current and last season and what was the best score and where was it obtained"

heck, they cannot number the whole thing even so you can't even say it's X couples/skaters. Baffling.

Country
United-States
I tried them but the static ISU lists are just not usable like theay are :scratch2:
no filters, wrong order, no cap, nothing
I don't know who would give them out as they do 😅 as least for this question they are not "the answer" but they answer the question "Who competed in [discipline] during the current and last season and what was the best score and where was it obtained"

heck, they cannot number the whole thing even so you can't even say it's X couples/skaters. Baffling.
If you copy and paste into Excel and then sort by the scores, you can figure out who's eligible. Not perfect (still shows retired skaters, for example), but I guess it's close enough to what I was looking for.