2023 Worlds: Rhythm Dance | Thoughts | Golden Skate

2023 Worlds: Rhythm Dance | Thoughts

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Lots of steam and sizzle! Lots of high scores!

Were your flames fanned? Which performance(s) did you like the best? Which team(s) do you think improved the most this season?

Bates also gave a shout out to the Italians for getting a level four on the pattern steps.

"This element is not like a quad in singles or it's not an element that is incredibly difficult," he said. "In fact, sharing the turns between the woman and the man is a little bit easier and more fun. From year to year, there's a little bit of experimentation with rules, and we've gotten used to that over the years. So just stay open-minded and wait around for the meeting that's coming up very shortly to see what the rules will be next season."

readernick

Medalist
Well, as a Guignard/ Fabbri fan (perhaps one of few), I am really happy they are in second place. They are just such great technicians with wonderfully matched SS. It's not my favorite program of theirs but I love them.

Chock/Bates leading by so much was a bit shocking for the fandom. But, I think based on this particular performance of the RD they definitely deserved the lead over G/P. (I would have Guignard/ Fabbri first because perfect execution plus great SS but that's my personal bias talking) Essentially every element was done perfectly. The lifts are all just +5 material. G/P looked a bit weak at points in their Rd,especially their pattern like step. Patterns have never been their strong point and it is natural after losing out on training time that this will suffer a bit. I suspect they will be wonderful in the FD.

Laurence Fournier Beaudry is incredible. Her partner is handsome but I'm not into his skating or performance skills. So, I decided I would just watch her. Her skating skills, performance skills, extension are all the best of the field

I also liked Green/Parsons and the Taschlers. I don't like their programs but I do like their skating.

Edit: Also shout out to Daisuke because his lifting skills have improved so much. This is the first time I've been able to enjoy a program from them. Usually, I'm too worried he is going to drop Kana to focus on anything else. That said, since I am not worried anymore, I noticed some small issues with shallow edges. Still they are both just incredible performers.

Last edited:

pearly

Record Breaker
Yes, I have a thought. Since the RD musics are basically indistinguishable this season, did the judges mistaken Fear/Gibson for FB/S since they both wore green? How on earth are the Brits ahead?

skatemd1

On the Ice
Chock/Bates were at their best. Great performance. Loved Green/Parsons too. This RD is much improved and their energy and connection on the ice was electric. Terrific night for US ice dance, for Italy and Canada and the rest of the top-10 too. FD should be interesting to watch!

Ross74

Medalist
Chock/Bates were at their best. Great performance. Loved Green/Parsons too. This RD is much improved and their energy and connection on the ice was electric. Terrific night for US ice dance, for Italy and Canada and the rest of the top-10 too. FD should be interesting to watch!
Michael Parsons said in a post-skate interview that they had changed 75% of their RD since 4CC. He said they knew they could do better and thought this was the best they could have skated it.

slider11

Medalist
Kudos to Chock and Bates but they are still not my stand-outs! I loved and will watch again Kana and Dauiske, Caroline and Michael and Piper and Paul. I sincerely hope that the FD is scored objectively and fairly without pre-conceived notions of placement.