2024-25 US Ice Dance

dancelion21

On the Ice
Last season's thread:

ASSIGNMENTS

Championship Events
Four ContinentsWorld Junior ChampionshipsWorld Championships

Grand Prix Events
Skate AmericaSkate CanadaGrand Prix de FranceNHK TrophyFinlandia TrophyCup of China
Grand Prix Final
Chock/Bates

Neset/Markelov

TBD
Bratti/Somerville

Brown/Brown

Zingas/Kolesnik
Bratti/Somerville

Neset/Markelov

Pate/Bye
Carreira/Ponomarenko

Chock/Bates

Green/Parsons
Brown/Brown

Pate/Bye

Zingas/Kolesnik
Carreira/Ponomarenko

Green/Parsons

Challenger Events
LombardiaNebelhornDenis Ten MemorialBudapest TrophyTrophy Métropole Nice Côte d’AzurNepela MemorialTallinn TrophyWarsaw CupGolden Spin

Junior Grand Prix Events
JGP LatviaJGP CzechiaJGP ThailandJGP TurkeyJGP PolandJGP SlovakiaJGP ChinaJGP Final
International Selection Pool
Senior
  • Emily Bratti and Ian Somerville
  • Oona Brown and Gage Brown
  • Christina Carreira and Anthony Ponomarenko
  • Madison Chock and Evan Bates
  • Isabella Flores and Ivan Desyatov
  • Caroline Green and Michael Parsons
  • Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker
  • Raffaella Koncius and Alexey Shchepetov
  • Leah Neset and Artem Markelov
  • Eva Pate and Logan Bye
  • Katarina Wolfkostin and Dimitry Tsarevski
  • Grace Yi and Danila Savelev
  • Emilea Zingas and Vadym Kolesnik
Junior
  • Michelle Deych and Ryan Hu
  • Julia Epps and Blake Gilman
  • Olivia Ilin and Dylan Cain
  • Caroline Mullen and Brendan Mullen
  • Elliana Peal and Ethan Peal
  • Emily Renzi and William Lissauer
Thoughts for the Season:
  1. Can Chock/Bates repeat as US & World Champions?
  2. Will CPom cement their place as US number 2?
  3. Will Green/Parsons come back after a disappointing season?
  4. Will Bratti/Somerville recover after a disappointing Worlds?
  5. Who will receive the Skate America host spot? Flores/Desyatov? Wolfkostin/Tsarevski? A new team?
  6. How will Neset/Markelov transition to seniors?

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"Who will receive the Skate America host spot? Flores/Desyatov? Wolfkostin/Tsarevski? A new team?"

I'm hoping hard for Flores/Desyatov ... on the strengths of their Nationals performances, especially the FD.

They have everything ... passion, musicality, connection, and awesome speed and technique. I watch their West Side Story again and again.

Also, I love how they look at each other during their dances.. they look at each other like they mean it. :)

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Another question for the season. Now that Pate and Bye are married, can we start calling them Bye and Bye? Think about it — say it out loud if you want to :)

I’m also interested to see if the Mullens will be able to break through in Juniors; I really enjoy them!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Another question for the season. Now that Pate and Bye are married, can we start calling them Bye and Bye? Think about it — say it out loud if you want to :)

Cute. :clap: But only if Eva chooses to change Bye to her name or adds it on. I know, I know, I'm being strict.:geek: But I enjoyed your question :) :rock:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I’m also interested to see if the Mullens will be able to break through in Juniors; I really enjoy them!
I'm sorry and not sorry at the same time. But NSYNC came to my mind.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
LOL, I knew Pate/ Bye were engaged to be married, but I did not know when it was planned. I see they married in May, in Eva's home state of Ohio (Christina C and Anthony P were in their wedding party). Kudos to Eva & Logan!

I suppose Eva could use both names, e.g., Pate-Bye/Bye!

There have been a number of figure skating marriages in recent weeks (particularly among U.S. ice dancers): Leah Neset & Artem Markelov married on June 1. Plus, Chock & Bates were married this month. Also, Vanessa James (the retired pairs skater) married her long-time boyfriend, Jordan Amoros (a physical trainer & judo champion from France). Best wishes to all. ❣️

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thoughts for the Season:
  1. Can Chock/Bates repeat as US & World Champions?
  2. Will CPom cement their place as US number 2?
  3. Will Green/Parsons come back after a disappointing season?
  4. Will Bratti/Somerville recover after a disappointing Worlds?
For sure Chock/ Bates can repeat. But I will sentimentally root for Piper & Paul to win Worlds in Boston. Turnabout is fair play. 😉 I enjoy both teams so I am conflicted in wanting to see them both succeed in their final seasons. The greater question is whether any other team can break through to the international podium. Fear/ Gibson may have a chance to upset the Italians. But the Italians are tough competitors, very much inspired by the fact that the Olympics will be held in Milano/ Cortina in 2026.

I think Car/Pon have already cemented their bid to prevail as U.S. ice dance #2. I am eager to see how they will build on their last season's success. It looks like H/B are not coming back competitively. Jean-Luc is coaching, as is Kaitlin, in addition to pursuing her passion as a dj.

There will obviously be strong teams looking to challenge Car/Pon's #2 bid. As for Green/Parsons, they are very talented but they lost a lot of career momentum when they switched coaches and did not build on their unique modern dance aesthetic. When they tried to bring back a modern dance approach for their FD last season, it fell flat. I heard that Michael has been recovering from a knee injury, so it will be interesting to see what happens for them and for all of the MIDA teams.

I do not think Bratti /Somerville are that well-matched but they seem to get along well, and thus they will likely persevere together. Ian is, IMO, more talented than Emily, but she's competent and improving. It looks like Ian had a lot of adrenalin at 2024 Worlds that he was not able to contain. But that happens, and at least they now have Worlds experience. I have said before that I feel Ian should have stuck with his original partner, Elliana Gropman. They grew up together and were well-matched, even if their personalities did not mesh well off-the-ice. If they had remained together as partners, I feel certain they could be directly challenging or surpassing Car/Pon. I'm uncertain about Ian's partnership with Emily. But passion and self-belief can move mountains. It's often a crapshoot what will happen, particularly in the ice dance discipline. Luck is always involved in outcomes.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
LOL, I knew Pate/ Bye were engaged to be married, but I did not know when it was planned. I see they married in May, in Eva's home state of Ohio (Christina C and Anthony P were in their wedding party). Kudos to Eva & Logan!

I suppose Eva could use both names, e.g., Pate-Bye/Bye!

There have been a number of figure skating marriages in recent weeks (particularly among U.S. ice dancers): Leah Neset & Artem Markelov married on June 1. Plus, Chock & Bates were married this month. Also, Vanessa James (the retired pairs skater) married her long-time boyfriend, Jordan Amoros (a physical trainer & judo champion from France). Best wishes to all. ❣️
As well as Kirsten Moore-Towers and Liam Firus this weekend. ;)

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
  1. Who will receive the Skate America host spot? Flores/Desyatov? Wolfkostin/Tsarevski? A new team?
  2. How will Neset/Markelov transition to seniors?
These are questions 4 and 5, but they populated in the reply quote as 1 and 2.

First, now that Neset/ Markelov are married, will Leah continue to use her maiden name? I suppose so since that is how they have been identified for the several years of their partnership journey. I think they will transition well to seniors. Commentators were always praising them for looking like seniors when they competed in juniors. Still, ice dance is a packed and difficult discipline domestically and internationally with many teams possessing equal talent. It will be interesting to see how Neset/ Markelov are rated at SA against the Czech team (Mrazkova/ Mrazek); Lauriault/ Le Gac; Smart/ Dieck; and Davis/ Smolkin. Nes/Mar have already consistently placed ahead of Tkachenko/ Kiliakov on the junior circuit.

Of great interest, too, would be a head-to-head match between Nes/Mar and their training mates, Flores/ Desyatov (should Flo/ Des receive the SA tbd spot). I feel that Flo/Des showed more than enough against great adversity last season to earn the SA tbd outright. Flo/Des won medals at both of their debut internationals (Golden Spin bronze, with a win over Zingas/ Kolesnik in the FD; Egna Trophy silver, with a RD win over France's Dupayage/ Nabais). Wolfkostin/ Tsarevski were 6th at both of their internationals, against arguably deeper fields. However, the scores Flo/Des received at their two internationals would have placed them 4th over Wolf/Tsar at the events where W/T competed. In any case, it appears that USfigsk wants to see the summer competition results prior to selecting the SA ice dance tbd. I am excited to see the debut of Flo/Des' new programs, both are choreographed by Kaitlyn Weaver, who did great work for them with the West Side Story FD last season. Flo/Des are a team to watch, for sure. They have great speed, talent, chemistry, and passion.

Although Angela Ling/ Caleb Wein have retired, newcomers to U.S. senior ice dance will be Morozov/Chen; Cui/ Rogers; and apparently Anton Spiridonov has partnered with Vanessa Pham and they are training in Montreal. This is yet another well-rumored partnership that has yet to be officially announced. Are they repping the U.S. though? Probably, since they are both U.S. citizens. Still, they might have a better chance if either has affiliation with a different country.

In juniors, it has been rumored that Benjamin Starr (who split with Jenna Hauer) may partner with Yahli Pederson. Interestingly, as well, Olivia Smart recently revealed on her IG that she is partnered with Jean-Luc Baker, off-the-ice. ❤️

Another question to ponder is how well Zingas/Kolesnik will bounce back from their sophomore season blues.

ETA:
Flores/Desyatov are at the top of the alternates list for the senior GP, which opens up another GP assignment possibility regardless of whether they do or do not get the SA assignment.

Last edited:

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I cannot wait for the US Dance teams this season, especially with Neset/Markelov coming up. The US is stacked in Ice Dance!

Side note: Does anyone know where I could find forums for US Pairs, Mens, and Womens for the 2024-25 season?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For sure Chock/ Bates can repeat. But I will sentimentally root for Piper & Paul to win Worlds in Boston. Turnabout is fair play. 😉 I enjoy both teams so I am conflicted in wanting to see them both succeed in their final seasons. The greater question is whether any other team can break through to the international podium. Fear/ Gibson may have a chance to upset the Italians. But the Italians are tough competitors, very much inspired by the fact that the Olympics will be held in Milano/ Cortina in 2026.

I think Car/Pon have already cemented their bid to prevail as U.S. ice dance #2. I am eager to see how they will build on their last season's success. It looks like H/B are not coming back competitively. Jean-Luc is coaching, as is Kaitlin, in addition to pursuing her passion as a dj.

There will obviously be strong teams looking to challenge Car/Pon's #2 bid. As for Green/Parsons, they are very talented but they lost a lot of career momentum when they switched coaches and did not build on their unique modern dance aesthetic. When they tried to bring back a modern dance approach for their FD last season, it fell flat. I heard that Michael has been recovering from a knee injury, so it will be interesting to see what happens for them and for all of the MIDA teams.

I do not think Bratti /Somerville are that well-matched but they seem to get along well, and thus they will likely persevere together. Ian is, IMO, more talented than Emily, but she's competent and improving. It looks like Ian had a lot of adrenalin at 2024 Worlds that he was not able to contain. But that happens, and at least they now have Worlds experience. I have said before that I feel Ian should have stuck with his original partner, Elliana Gropman. They grew up together and were well-matched, even if their personalities did not mesh well off-the-ice. If they had remained together as partners, I feel certain they could be directly challenging or surpassing Car/Pon. I'm uncertain about Ian's partnership with Emily. But passion and self-belief can move mountains. It's often a crapshoot what will happen, particularly in the ice dance discipline. Luck is always involved in outcomes.
Kait and Jean Luc are still on the ISP so I will hold out hope until they aren't or there is an announcement.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Confirmation that Pham/Spiridonov will make their debut at CQE :)
How do we know that this Canadian event in August will be Pham/ Spiro's competition debut, though? They could also be entered for the NQS domestic competition at Lake Placid, end of July. 🤔

I am curious to see which U.S. teams will be NQS entries and which will be assigned to the international competition at Lake Placid. Five U.S. teams competed in the NQS division last season, and five were registered for the international event, with one team (Z/K) withdrawing beforehand.

I would guess for the NQS at Lake Placid:
Cui/ Rogers
Koncius/ Shchepetov
Kowar/ Schwappach
Morosov/ Chen
and maybe,
Neset/ Markelov; this would be an easy win for them as a newbies to seniors; however, they could compete in the international division, as junior world champs, and possibly win there, setting themselves up for the more stacked and high profile Skate America GP.

For LPIDI:
Flores/ Desyatov
Wolfkostin/ Tsarevski
Zingas/ Kolesnik (WD in 2023)
and maybe,
Neset/Markelov (if not competing in the NQS)
and/ or,
Brown siblings (2nd in 2023)
Pate-Bye/ Bye (3rd in 2023)

Are there any other U.S. teams coming up from juniors to seniors aside from Cui/ Rogers; Neset/ Markelov; and the return of Chen?

Last edited:

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
How do we know that this Canadian event in August will be Pham/ Spiro's competition debut, though? They could also be entered for the NQS domestic competition at Lake Placid, end of July. 🤔
First confirmed competition that will have a livestream with music along with kiss and cry then (y)

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
First confirmed competition that will have a livestream with music along with kiss and cry then (y)
Don't rub it in, please. 😭Overrun by lucky Canadians on here, my gosh! 😱 Meant with all due respect, btw. 😉

I chose to reward your previous post with the 'laughing' smilie, but I am equally moved to click the grimacing smilie, the sad smilie, the astonished smilie, the angry smilie, the clapping smilie, the unsure smilie, the neutral smilie, and the hearts love smilie. Is there a 'miserable' smilie? 😏

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
a livestream with music
You must mean, "a livestream with original audio..." which American fans will find rare if they find at all on our 'Endless, Fruitless, Joyless Journey Down the Yellow Brick Road.'

Oh wait a gd minute, do I have the music and literary rights to say that?! 😳😢

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So I was listening to the latest TSL episode. At the tail end of the broadcast, Dave said that Wolfkostin/ Tsarevski are moving back to juniors as a result of the change in age limits. This is like musical chairs. Neset/ Markelov won everything in juniors last season and have moved up to seniors this year. Now, Wolf/Tsar are apparently looking to move back down to try winning everything in juniors, which might not be a poor strategy for one season. It will give them an opportunity to win medals and rep status, along with additional favor from U.S. fed.

Last edited: