26th Eiscup Innsbruck 2022 | Golden Skate

26th Eiscup Innsbruck 2022

yesterday

Record Breaker
With the new launch by Skate Austria, an this being the first competition on there, I'd thought start a thread.
Maybe some people will be interested, also outside of central Europe.

What's the news?
Skate Austria launches a new platform for FS streaming.
It can be found here

➡️ https://live.skateaustria.at/

Info article:

Skate Austria launches its own streaming service​

The Austrian figure skating association Skate Austria is launching a live streaming and video-on-demand platform under the name Skate Austria LIVE. This is made possible by a partnership with the Scandinavian provider Solidsport.​

For many years, videos and sometimes also live streams have been created in Austrian figure skating and distributed and offered on a wide variety of platforms. On Skate Austria LIVE, the range of moving images is now bundled and presented in a structured manner under the umbrella of the association. In the future, participants, relatives, fans and the media will find all video content live and on demand centrally on a uniform platform.

“This is an important step for us. We want to offer organizers and participants a digital home for their events and competitions and are happy to have found the right partner in Solidsport.”, says Katharina Rauch, Secretary General of Skate Austria

Along with the streaming and video-on-demand platform, all clubs and organizers of the association can create their own channel and present their own content free of charge. Both live and as a repeat. In order to make it easier to get started with video and live stream production, Skate Austria partner Solidsport has its own broadcast app that can be used free of charge. But high-quality multi-camera productions are also possible and welcome.

“Figure skating and solid sports have been working very successfully in Scandinavia for many years. Especially for foreign participants and their fans, live streams are often the only way to share emotions live. We are therefore very pleased to be able to support the Austrian Figure Skating Association with our expertise and passion on the subject of live streaming", says Henry Blunck, Country Manager DACH, Solidsport GmbH.

In addition to the unlimited archive and relevant advertising options, Skate Austria LIVE also enables access to digital revenues through the optional payment barrier. Organizers can therefore offer their content for a fee and thus generate additional sales. This model consequently turns live streaming from a cost factor into a source of revenue.

“We hope to use the payment model to generate revenue for the promotion of young people. For our own events, but also for our clubs and partners, we see potential to improve the club budget by selling digital tickets. We are therefore consciously taking this step, which has a promising future for us.", says Christiane Mörth, President of Skate Austria

And what can I watch there?

The starting signal for the live offer on Skate Austria LIVE will be the 26th International Eiscup Innsbruck 2022, which will take place from November 18th to 22nd in the Olympiawelt Innsbruck. To get to know the platform, the individual sessions are offered free of charge. Only a user account is required.

Further events are already being planned. In addition to the state championships (aka Nationals) from 15.-18. December, the Mozart Cup will also take place from 19.-22. January on Skate Austria LIVE.

Coming back OT, the Eiscup streams are here

➡️ https://live.skateaustria.at/eiscup-innsbruck
(remember to register your free account, at the top right corner)

And here is the results page:

➡️ http://skateaustria.vs91-250-98-130.cloud-he.de/img/competition/8.2022_23/040/index.htm
most entries from Austria, Italy, Germany. But also some others here and there (only looked at Seniors and Juniors so far)

I know, with the CS and GP it's tight right now, but I think the streams will stay on demand as stated in the article 🤞
They hopefully keep it when they see there's interest there.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Coming back OT, the Eiscup streams are here

➡️ https://live.skateaustria.at/eiscup-innsbruck
(remember to register your free account, at the top right corner)

And here is the results page:

➡️ http://skateaustria.vs91-250-98-130.cloud-he.de/img/competition/8.2022_23/040/index.htm
most entries from Austria, Italy, Germany. But also some others here and there (only looked at Seniors and Juniors so far)

I know, with the CS and GP it's tight right now, but I think the streams will stay on demand as stated in the article 🤞
They hopefully keep it when they see there's interest there.

Thank you for letting us know about this event. :bow: :clap: :points:

:thank:

Irish girl Justina Tkacheva is competing at Advanced Novice level. :biggrin:

I'm really impressed with the sheer number of Austrian and Italian skaters entered at pretty much all levels. If only a small fraction of them stick with it, the future is looking bright.

Hope the event goes well.

CaroLiza_fan

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Hmm, I'm not convinced by this. They barely managed to maintain a server strong enough to handle the traffic for the Ice Challenge results table (though maybe the organizers are to blame here and not Skate Austria) and now they decided to launch a streaming platform? Why not go with a Skate Austria youtube channel? Live streaming with youtube works reliably and pretty much everyone knows how to use the platform. I can also access youtube comfortably via a smart TV while this will probably not be the case with the Skate Austria page.
The only benefit of a non-youtube platform I could see are no issues due to music copyright violations and subsequent blocking of videos.

Ah well, let's see how this turns out.

ETA: Ok, the streaming platform is run by an external partner. Still not happy with it, see post below.

Last edited:

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I'm already a bit grumpy. Eiscup streams will be free but other events will apparently be behind a paywall.
I'm happy to support our local clubs with ticket purchases (and I went to a lot of live events before Covid was a thing) but I will not pay for a live stream for anything other than maybe Nationals (if I can't go there in person). And I'm a passionate figure skating fan - I can't imagine that many "normal" people would be ready to pay for watching a stream of Kasermandl Laufen or whatever.
Instead of generating revenue, this will just kill interest in Austrian figure skating even more, I fear. :cry:

yesterday

Record Breaker
I'm already a bit grumpy. Eiscup streams will be free but other events will apparently be behind a paywall.
I'm happy to support our local clubs with ticket purchases (and I went to a lot of live events before Covid was a thing) but I will not pay for a live stream for anything other than maybe Nationals (if I can't go there in person). And I'm a passionate figure skating fan - I can't imagine that many "normal" people would be ready to pay for watching a stream of Kasermandl Laufen or whatever.
Instead of generating revenue, this will just kill interest in Austrian figure skating even more, I fear. :cry:
I'm not sure how fix everything is atm.
They just started and are testing here and there. When they compare numbers and see that there's interest with the free comps and no one buy access to others they might apply changes. Cause sponsors want to be seen (jackets, boards) which also works on the free live stream, as long as streams a viewes. When only the free ones get viewed, well?

Give it some time, that's nothing that Austria in general has lots of experience with and I think it's kind of a good sign that they want to do it themselves (with the partner- which is why I wasn't worried about the server problems) and don't give it all away to youtube and they can do whatever they want.
Maybe they also did a survey among skaters and their families and some might have been concerned with their young ones being "exposed" on a huge platform.

It's a start!
(if it works well and they are perhaps not dependent on paid stream, this could be some kind of Austrian dailymotion/vimeo?)

yesterday

Record Breaker
Just a quick reminder that this competition can still be seen for free on demand if anybody has a bit of time and interest during the next weeks 🙂

Registration is easy and not a lot of information needed. They did several videos (sessions) a day, so one can find certain groups and skaters easier.

Starting with Friday -
the three Chicks boys are fantastic
and I watched some of the Intermediate skaters (only one boy there, from Ukraine).

Some fun details and observations:
The announcer chooses his language depending on the skater's nation. He's doing German, English or Italian :cheer:
Also the scores are announced accordingly. But in any case, there's name/country insert at the start of each performance and the same plus total score at the end. And they have replays! (no commentary or scorebox)
(and the scoring page works fine :biggrin: )

The award for best dress/hair/makeup of the day goes to Marie BAUER (Intermediate Novice Girls).

And for fans of Severin Kiefer - he's coach of lots of the kids there :clap:

AND: it's not geoblocked! I just watched from Japan 😅

Last edited: