gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

43rd Volvo Open Cup
Nov 6-8, 2020
Volvo Sports Center
Riga, LAT

The Volvo Open Cup is an international figure skating competition held in Riga, Latvia, for all disciplines in the Senior, Junior, Advanced/Intermediate/Basic Novice, and younger categories. It was part of the ISU Challenger Series during the 2014–15 season.

Last edited:
Country
Norway
I realized this is one week from now, and there are no entries list yet? And if they would cancel, it seems they should have done it by now considering the athletes probably will go to Riga in the beginning of next week?

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
It sure looks like it. It is supposed to start in two days, but I still cannot find the entries.

Country
Norway
At this point there can´t be many international athletes involved if they still havn´t decided yet. I would think the athletes would have to know by now if they are going to Riga or not. Maybe it will go ahead as basically a domestic competition.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
There is a list of entries for very young skaters on the official website, but no information on any older groups.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
There is a list of entries for very young skaters on the official website, but no information on any older groups.

I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but are you sure you're not looking at the Entries / Results page for the February 2020 edition?

On the Volvo Open homepage, the section containing the links for the February 2020 edition is directly underneath the section for the November 2020 edition. So it would be easy to get confused (I am speaking from personal experience, because I made that very mistake a few days ago when I visited the site).

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Hahaha...no I'm definitely not taking this the wrong way. You're absolutely right CaroLiza_fan. Thanks for pointing this out.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Now this is interesting. Viktoria IUSHCHENKOVA is competing at Junior level this week, having competed at Senior level alongside older sister Alina at the Ice Star last week. (Alina is still competing at Senior level this week).

It's a shame to see Alina and Viktoria separated because, as somebody who only likes 1 programme from the 2 of them in each segment (Viktoria's SP and Alina's FS), I am fascinated to see who comes out on top.

The irony is that, last week, it was Viktoria (133.00) that finished ahead of Alina (132.08). It wasn't by much but, with siblings, these things matter.

The cynics amongst us might say that Viktoria is being punished for beating her older sister. But I don't think this is the reason. (You can find out my own theory in a couple of paragraphs time).

Meanwhile, having been separated into different age group competitions last week, younger sisters Anna and Daria will compete against each other at Advanced Novice level this week.

I wonder if Viktoria dropping back to Juniors is a strategic decision designed to try to maintain family harmony. Like, imagine the drama that could arise by having the older set of sisters up against each other in one level AND the younger set of sisters up against each other in another level! :drama:

All the best to them all!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Good for Emmi Peltonen to finally have a chance to compete. I hope for a safe comeptition for everyone.

Lyyli

On the Ice
On the website of Emmi´s skating club she is not listed for Volvo cup. Oona Ounasvuori still is.

Emmi competed in the beginning of October at the qualification competition for Nats. She scored there 167,57. She is also listed for the second qualification competition November 14th-15th.