A Grand Prix First? | Golden Skate

A Grand Prix First?

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Ooh, thanks for the new rabbit hole to fall down!

I wonder why Rudy Galindo never competed in a Grand Prix event as a singles skater...

If she's the only other one to do it, then there's a nice symmetry there. One was done in women's singles and pair skating, the other in men's singles and ice dancing.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Meagan Duhamel did win a JGP in singles and then plenty of GPs in pairs... many Canadian kids do two disciplines but I don't recall many did that at senior level, Julianne Seguin is the last that comes to mind but she only did one GP and finished 12th.. though she was 11th at 4CC which is quite good and 3rd at Autumn Classic..

A matter of definition, I suppose. The Grand Prix started in 1995 (as the Championship Series). Kristi medalled at Skate America (and also once at Skate Canada) when they were individual events before the Grand Prix was conceived. Rudy Galindo did compete at the 1993 Nations Cup (forerunner of the German Grand Prix event, which later was replaced by the Cup of China), but did not medal.

Rene Inoue competed as a singles skater for Japan and participated in several of the events that were later incorporated into the Grand Prix. She medalled at Nations cup in 1993. As a pairs skater with John Baldwin (USA) she medalled at the French event as well as at Skate America and Skate Canada.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
As much as it is awesome that Takahashi is switching discipline and hope that Japan develops successful programs in addition to single skating, this year’s Grand Prix is not a ratified international event it usually is, not to mention it was 3 participants.

MarkinBerkeley

On the Ice
As much as it is awesome that Takahashi is switching discipline and hope that Japan develops successful programs in addition to single skating, this year’s Grand Prix is not a ratified international event it usually is, not to mention it was 3 participants.
I could win a figure skating medal!