Adult beginner: should I get new skates? | Golden Skate

Adult beginner: should I get new skates?

cxptz

Rinkside
Hello! I'm an adult beginner who's been skating for couple months, took LTS up to adult 4 and had been trying to learn stuff on my own. I'm 24, 5'4'' and ~120lbs, I can do forward&backward crossovers, forward three turns, some mohawks and waltz jump now. I'm currently in Jackson Evo (recommended by local pro shop) and they've been doing alright, until recently I've been skating more frequently and trying to learn single jump and I feel like they are getting loose pretty fast and my feet are starting to feel unstable. The fitter at the pro shop said they'll probably last till I start to jump. So I wonder if it's time for me to consider getting stiffer boots? If so, is there any recommendations that can last me through single jumps?
Thanks in advance for all the help!

treblemakerem

On the Ice
Yes you should definitely get new boots if you are doing jumps. You should go to a fitter to see what works best with your feet but if Jackson works for you then I would look into the debut. You could also probably get away with the freestyle if you don’t want to get the blade separate but you would need to upgrade that sooner. What you have is too soft for jumping especially as an adult and you risk injury. I would also recommend getting a private coach or continuing group lessons and not trying to learn jumps on your own. When I was starting out I just took 15 minutes a week so it wasn’t too expensive.

cxptz

Rinkside
Yes you should definitely get new boots if you are doing jumps. You should go to a fitter to see what works best with your feet but if Jackson works for you then I would look into the debut. You could also probably get away with the freestyle if you don’t want to get the blade separate but you would need to upgrade that sooner. What you have is too soft for jumping especially as an adult and you risk injury. I would also recommend getting a private coach or continuing group lessons and not trying to learn jumps on your own. When I was starting out I just took 15 minutes a week so it wasn’t too expensive.
Thanks! Yes I'm planning on taking private lessons. Though my rink will be closing in a few weeks and most of the coaches there are already booked up so I'll need to wait till August when it reopens.
For the debut skates, I'm assuming you are talking about those debut fusion firm (FS2450) with 50 stiffness, right? The regular debut skates have lower stiffness than the freestyles, it seems.
Would debut firm + coronation ace be a good setup?

treblemakerem

On the Ice
Thanks! Yes I'm planning on taking private lessons. Though my rink will be closing in a few weeks and most of the coaches there are already booked up so I'll need to wait till August when it reopens.
For the debut skates, I'm assuming you are talking about those debut fusion firm (FS2450) with 50 stiffness, right? The regular debut skates have lower stiffness than the freestyles, it seems.
Would debut firm + coronation ace be a good setup?
It should be the debut fusion. It should be stiffer than the freestyle but maybe you were looking at an older model or something? Make sure to go to a fitter to make sure because they might not be the same last as your old skates.
I wear MK pros but from what I’ve heard you can’t go wrong with coronation ace.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Best to go to a reputable fitter, but if you're going down the Jackson route, then Debut would be the model. And, as mentioned above, you can't go wrong with Coronation Ace but MK Professional are a perfectly acceptable alternative.

I really would recommend getting fitted properly, though.

cxptz

Rinkside
Best to go to a reputable fitter, but if you're going down the Jackson route, then Debut would be the model. And, as mentioned above, you can't go wrong with Coronation Ace but MK Professional are a perfectly acceptable alternative.

I really would recommend getting fitted properly, though.
Yeah I'm a little bit unsure about the fitter I went to last time. They seemed to be more specialized in hockey in didn't have any other choice than a pair of jackson evo that's half size too small (though they are listed as certified retailer on jackson's website). I'll probably need to find someone with wider range of figure skates. Thanks!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yeah I'm a little bit unsure about the fitter I went to last time. They seemed to be more specialized in hockey in didn't have any other choice than a pair of jackson evo that's half size too small (though they are listed as certified retailer on jackson's website). I'll probably need to find someone with wider range of figure skates. Thanks!
No, please find someone that specializes in fitting figure skates. That will properly measure and trace your foot and knows what they are doing and what skates are proper for your level, etc...