Adult skater boots & blades upgrading recommendation | Golden Skate

Adult skater boots & blades upgrading recommendation

tefdiout

Spectator
Hi all,

I've start skating 1 month and accumulate 47.5 Hours on-ice with this Edea Overture boots + MK galaxy.

I'm around Adult pre-bronze, but mostly focus on developing basic skills such as the deep edges, crossover...etc, and I think my boots just creasing (break down ?) too much...

Side view:

Front view w/ inside edge

My coach just told me this would hurt myself. So I decide to upgrade the boots & blades.

--

For blades, MK Pro or JW CAce should be fine.

But how about the boots? My goal is to execute the 1A perfectly ASAP. Should I just bump up to the Ice Fly or RF1 to prevent creasing like this again...?

Thanks for the recommendation!

MiraiFan

Final Flight
I am working on Adult Silver MIF and I love my Edea Chorus. I am jumping singles right now (starting axel) and the support is great. Since you have Edea already and like them, it's an easy upgrade. My fitter put me in chorus right away because of my height (5'8"). I am definitely not a tiny skater. It's served me very well.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
First questions are:-

1. Did you buy those Overtures new? and

2. Were you fitted properly by a professional?

To have that happen in a pair of boots at your level in one month would indicate to me that they are either faulty or too big. Even if you are a very large adult and skate very strongly for your actual level, they still look very wrong to me.

My advice is to get fitted properly for new boots (you definitely need new ones!) and to consider other makes than just Edea. Do NOT "just bump up to Ice Fly or RF1"! Those boots are built for advanced skaters doing triples and quads and are way too stiff for someone at your level. It's a false economy as whilst they may well last longer, you will hamper your progress by having something too stiff. It's also quite possible to injure yourself. Edea Chorus or RF3 Pro would be a much more appropriate boot, provided they fit properly. I'm seriously weary of seeing skaters wearing Ice Fly complaining about losing their spirals or loops because they don't have the technique or muscle development to execute basic movements in boots that are too stiff for them. In fact, I've stopped banging my head on the desk and now just go out for a walk instead. I know several skaters who were sold Risport Royal Elites and assured that they were "perfectly fine" for their levels of skating, when in fact they are so overbooted it pains me to look at them! Although one of them never bends her ankle anyway and probably never will so hasn't noticed that she can't actually bend properly, another has definitely registered that she can no longer do a sit spin or even the shoot the duck/teapot position without getting off the ice to re-lace her boots to a looseness that means she can bend at the ankle but not jump. Obviously, this is unworkable for tests, programs, etc!

Edited to add: Blade wise, Coronation Ace or MK Professional. Absolutely. My preference is always Coronation Ace. They're never really a wrong choice!

Last edited:

tefdiout

Spectator
First questions are:-

1. Did you buy those Overtures new? and
Yes for new

2. Were you fitted properly by a professional?
I don't think so, compare to the post on the fourm that mention about fitting. They just size me in the Edea fitter and give the boots. I only compare the same size in Edea & Risport. (same level & same size). And I don't think that I can find a place that have pro fitter in my country..

I think the boots is too large for me, after reading Edea's instruction on their website: https://ice.edeaskates.com/en/tech-info/what-is-my-size/how-can-i-measure-my-feet/. The ball is fine, but I can put 1 finger into the back of the boots down to half, and the footprint isn't correct (just like the left picture have the white space at toe): https://ice.edeaskates.com/en/tech-info/what-is-my-size/how-can-i-check-if-i-have-the-right-size/

I assume that the boots are larger than my foot around 5mm ~ 10mm.

Are there any other techniques that I can test the fitting of the boots without pro fitter?

My advice is to get fitted properly for new boots (you definitely need new ones!) and to consider other makes than just Edea. Do NOT "just bump up to Ice Fly or RF1"! Those boots are built for advanced skaters doing triples and quads and are way too stiff for someone at your level. It's a false economy as whilst they may well last longer, you will hamper your progress by having something too stiff. It's also quite possible to injure yourself. Edea Chorus or RF3 Pro would be a much more appropriate boot, provided they fit properly.

Although one of them never bends her ankle anyway and probably never will so hasn't noticed that she can't actually bend properly, another has definitely registered that she can no longer do a sit spin or even the shoot the duck/teapot position without getting off the ice to re-lace her boots to a looseness that means she can bend at the ankle but not jump. Obviously, this is unworkable for tests, programs, etc!

It is possible to test both different level of the boots in the shop (Edea & Risport), can I know if the stiffness of the boots is not overbooting or not (not limiting my ankle and knee bending) when the blade ain't on the boots?

e.g. By lacing properly, and checking the knee bending by: https://youtu.be/xMd3EpUSFcY?t=88, and make sure that I can do the squat properly?

Edit: or like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rak8bXF2nDk or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp3u09suqc4 to check the bending?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
At this point, I'd wait for @Ic3Rabbit to give his response.
Ic3Rabbit is here now to give her response.

OP, You need to get professionally fit. The way you are doing this is all backwards and you are going to get injured badly.

What country are you in, if you don't mind telling, because that could help me or others help you find a pro fitter.
There has got to be somewhere professional that fits the other skaters in your area and coaches.

Do not try to figure this out on your own or just put yourself in whatever boot, and definitely do not just bump it up to an ice fly, those are way too stiff and advanced for you.

Your current boots are more than broken down right now and not safe to skate in.

As far as blade MK Pro or J. Wilson Coronation Ace will be fine for you.