Adult skating in Germany

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
I know this may be a bit of a long shot, but do any of you have knowledge regarding the adult skating scene in Germany? (If there even is one...) I know there's the ISU adult competition in Oberstdorf, but since skaters come from all over the world to participate, it doesn't really give me a good idea of how big the adult community is in Germany. I imagine it varies depending on the city/region. If you have any info, I'd be much obliged :)

Ic3Rabbit

Le professionnel d'élite
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I know this may be a bit of a long shot, but do any of you have knowledge regarding the adult skating scene in Germany? (If there even is one...) I know there's the ISU adult competition in Oberstdorf, but since skaters come from all over the world to participate, it doesn't really give me a good idea of how big the adult community is in Germany. I imagine it varies depending on the city/region. If you have any info, I'd be much obliged :)
Are you moving to Germany?

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
Are you moving to Germany?
Not decided yet, but I might move there briefly (one or two years). Naturally, I want to keep skating if I move but I don't know how welcoming German rinks are of adult skaters :)

1111bm

Final Flight
I imagine it varies depending on the city/region. If you have any info, I'd be much obliged

This. It highly depends on city, rink/ice availability, your age, skill level, whether you compete or not and if there's a local club/coaches that even care about teaching adults. But even if they do, they might only offer 1-2 sessions per week at a fixed time. Some might stick adults into mixed group classes with children and teenagers and don't give them too much attention. Then again, in another city you might even be able to get private coaching (I know some adults who travelled to Oberstdorf for a vacation and booking ice time as well as private lessons).
It also depends on how high level the local competitive skaters are (their needs will naturally be prioritised over any recreational adult skaters' f.i. afaik several rinks in Berlin are open all year round but recreational skaters don't have access to any ice time during the summer). Skating during the summer might generally be a problem or simply not possible because the local rink might be closed for 4-7 months each year, depending on where you live.

Generally I'd say young adults in their twenties (who maybe even started out as a teenager or in their late teens as opposed to in their mid-twenties) who are fairly athletic with a decent skill level, will have an easier time getting ice time and training.
Some clubs might require you to participate in a few competitions per season.

Instead of contacting local clubs directly, a better idea would be to find and reach out to adult skaters that train in your city, if possible. That will help to get a foot in the door and learn about how things are run in that city and what opportunities there are for adult skaters.
I say this, because I've heard of people not getting helpful feedback from the club itself. Once you're in contact with other adult skaters, you might learn that they offer more than what the club(s) officially shared on their website(s).

Since you do ice dance as well, I think that might be a bigger problem. I have no idea if there's cities that offer ice dance for adults, possibly in the south of Germany? Where I live, there's no ice dance at all. I assume many cities don't even have coaches with a background in ice dance. I've heard of training courses being offered for adults, sort of like weekend classes, but I don't know how often they take place, and unless you live nearby you'd have to travel to participate (I know of two people from my city that travelled to and took part in such courses, so I did a google search once out of curiosity and came across an announcement).

You could also search instagram or facebook for accounts of adult skaters living in Germany and message them asking for info.

I know this may be a bit of a long shot, but do any of you have knowledge regarding the adult skating scene in Germany? (If there even is one...) I know there's the ISU adult competition in Oberstdorf, but since skaters come from all over the world to participate, it doesn't really give me a good idea of how big the adult community is in Germany.

I can't tell you how big the community is, especially compared to the US, but there is one.
I don't compete myself, but many of my training mates do. If you like to compete, by now most of the regular, local competitions offer an adult category as well, since there's been a growing demand over the past years (judging is all over the place though, since oftentimes judges have never trained or even seen adults competing, so they don't have a point of reference when assigning scores). Adult skaters from Scandinavia, Italy and Poland travel to some of the bigger competitions as well.
There's a yearly adults-only competition in Berlin (https://www.skate-berlin-adults.de) that attracts adult skaters not only from Germany but also neighbouring countries. I think it's one of the biggest ones after Oberstdorf and I hear the atmosphere is very welcoming and supportive.

Last edited: