Deleted | Golden Skate

Deleted

mskater93

Record Breaker
Hi All,

I’ve been reading through a lot of threads on here, and many have been helpful. There were several references to skatingaheadofthecurve and I’ve found those maps and training hour calculations helpful, but thought I would finally post in a more personal way.

My daughter started skating as young as three and started taking lessons with a private coach 2 hours a week. She did this for a few years, then skated 2-3 hours week, but only one local ISI completion, nothing more. Then COVID happened and our rink closed, then it opened, then closed again to anyone under 12 (?!?) so we made due and travelled once a week to another county where the rink was open.

This year she really got a fire lit under her. She joined a synchro team at our rink and made friends, and asked for a “head coach”. We found one and he assembled a “team” for her…a MIF coach who was excellent, and a spin coach who also taught an amazing off-ice class twice a week. The older head coach used be the assistant to a very famous Olympic Coach and he himself has trained national competitors.

My daughter’s improvement has been impressive during these last six months (she started with team late November and it’s now April, so 5 months ago). She tested through her first two MIF, landed her first axel, and is now closing in on her first doubles. She tests for pre-juv next month. She skates about ten hours of on ice time a week, plus three-four hours of off-ice. It’s expensive and time consuming, of course, but she loves it and we were so happy….

Is there any metric on what is possible for her if she keeps training at this level? It’s such a commitment, so I think what I’m really asking is what realistic goals could she set for herself? Also, as much as I love the head coach, I can’t really tell what he sees for her future. I’ve asked.

I know there are so many factors. On the plus side she is tiny for her age. Hard for me to tell talent, but doesn’t seem exceptionally gifted. She is a super hard worker/disciplined etc. I guess if she has a super power it’s calm under pressure.

Thanks so much for any insight.
No one ever really knows if they kid's going to get bored, grow, plateau, etc. which is probably why the head coach is reticent to answer they question. Just go with it and see where it lands her if you can continue to afford it.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'd say keep sticking with short term goals. Getting the next few jumps, new spin features, etc. She's 9, we don't know much about her yet. By the time she's 13 you might not even recognize her as the same person. Human personalities and interests change so much and so fast at that age.