Age to start recreational skating? | Golden Skate

Age to start recreational skating?

yellow52

Spectator
I’m not sure if I’m posting this in the right area of this website, so my apologies if I am posting this wrong. I have a question about figure skating & age. I am 14 and I have been wanting to learn how to figure skate for a while now. I was wonder if 14 is a bad age to start learning how to figure skate. However I am not all to interested in competing yet. As of posting this, I am more interested in just learning how to miniver on the ice and over all just glide around & have fun. Learning some jumps would be nice here and there, but as I stated before I am not all that interested in competing yet. I was wondering if someone of my age is allowed to do that. Thank you very much for your time.

Elija

On the Ice
Yes, you can start at any age. Some rinks have programmes specifically for teens. I also started at 14. Most rinks have programmes for adult beginners as well. I know people who started when they were over 50, it’s never too late! Contact your rink and ask about learn to skate programmes.

yellow52

Spectator
Yes, you can start at any age. Some rinks have programmes specifically for teens. I also started at 14. Most rinks have programmes for adult beginners as well. I know people who started when they were over 50, it’s never too late! Contact your rink and ask about learn to skate programmes.
Thank you so much!

yellow52

Spectator
OP: Since you're not stricken with Olympic fever :wink:, definitely you can go for it. A few years ago, I met a woman who started at 84 (she was even a member of an adult coffee klatsch group). That's 6X your age!
Thank you so much!

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Skating is for everyone. I know someone who started when they were 60! I agree with starting with learn to skate lessons and go from there. Good luck, skating can bring so much joy. It doesn’t matter what level you are, the important thing is to love it.