Alexander Majorov | Golden Skate

Alexander Majorov

Alex D

Record Breaker
Figure skater Alexander Majorov (Russian: Александр Майоров), who represents Sweden, was born on 19 July 1991 in Saint Petersburg, Russian SFSR, Soviet Union (now Russia). He moved to Sweden when he was four.

Important note:

I think that I speak for everyone at GS when I say, that we wish you and your family all the best, please stay strong and fight this evil thing off. Our prayers are with your dad and your beloved ones, (The dad of Sasha has been diagnosed with blood cancer, which has turned into an acute leukemia)

BIO:

Alex was born in 1991 at St. Petersburg but does reside in Sweden since many years as his parents are coaches at the local figure skating club of Lulea. In that club Alex heard first about this wonderful sport at the age of 5 and since he found so many friends while tipping over the ice, he decided that this might be a cool sport to do so he got himself some proper coaching lessons and e voila 11 years later he landed his first quadruple jump, the toe at the Nordics and won the bronze medal at Junior Worlds in 2011.

Sadly, life has not always been easy with Sasha, since 2007 he suffers under a serious back injury which always causes trouble for him and even cost him the current season where he is trying hard to find someone out there who can help him with that. Right now he is undergoing an electro therapy and hopefully this wonderful skater will soon return to the ice rink, to give us his amazing skates - especially if he has his hood on!

Current Programs:

Music Short Program as of season 2015/2016

Tango Amore by Edvin Marton (Choreographed by Catarina Lindgren)

Music Free Skating as of season 2015/2016

Archangel by Thomas J. Bergersen (from "Nero") (Choreographed by Catarina Lindgren & Irina Majorova)

Current PB: 243,15 (Elitserien Luleå Cup 2015 )

Next skates:

• CS Nebelhorn Trophy 2016
  • CS Finlandia Trophy 2016
  • Golden Bear 2016
  • GP Rostelecom Cup 2016
  • CS Warsaw Cup 2016
  • NRW Trophy 2016

Additional links:

His Blog

Website

Pictures

Videos

His Guestbook

Interviews & Quotes:

His recent blog post, a very personal statement about what has happened to him and his family over the past few months. http://alexandermajorov.com/2015/12/09/to-everyone-following-my-career/

I want to share some information. It’s been hard deciding whether or not to tell people. Most of those closest to us already know about it. What I’m about to tell you will probably end up in the press, which is not something I actually want, but I think it’s time.

My father was diagnosed with a rare type of blood cancer known as severe MDS back in June. Ever since then I have been struggling to deal with the sadness while trying to practice on my own. The only treatment that may work is a bone marrow transplant. The survival rate is 30-40%. Doctors have been searching around the world for matching donors, but even after 3 months there was no one who completely matched. By this time the blood cancer turned into acute leukemia and my father was hospitalized. This was one week before my first competition in Luleå.

The doctors decided that it was possible to take bone marrow from his children, since my father has no siblings. My brother is underage, so that left me to become a possible donor. The preparations started a week before the Volvo cup in Riga. I had a full examination and a bag of blood was drawn. (I will get it back after the surgery.) This resulted in my stamina fading, since my blood count dropped from 173 to 140. It felt like high altitude training; even my short program was so hard to skate I was shaking from exhaustion.

A week before the Grand Prix event in Moscow, a second bag of blood was drawn. My blood count was now down around 130. I tried to recover, but time was too short and I had to withdraw from the competition. Like I said before, we didn’t tell anyone because we didn’t want the media attention.

But now we have had time to analyse the whole process, and concluded that it’s time to tell the people who have been wondering what was up with me and my father. I recently had the operation extracting many of my bone marrow stem cells. I am currently not training because of physical pain and low blood count.

This is released during the Swedish Nationals, because also here, I have withdrawn. I hope this procedure will help my beloved father, and I pray for the high powers of medicine to work. Thank you, doctors, nurses and friends, for all the support you give me and my father – you are all real heroes to my family.

Alexander

2014/2015

Good day! (posted on the 1st of April)

I have some news for you all.

Considering my injury situation in the achilles tendon and the slow progress, I have decided to go over to Pair Skating this summer.
Single skating is my life, but when things are not going well then you need to rethink the plans.

I’ve been thinking about it since December month and I allready have found a skating partner that I will skate with.

Her name is Isabelle Olsson, she is also competing for the swedish national team.
We will try to skate together this summer and see what will happen.
I will tell you more information later when we will do the “try-out”.

“We will continue to do single skating until then we feel that we are ready for pair skating, then we will try to join the Swedish team.”

I know this sounds a little strange, but I think it will work fine – I have seen people succeed in this.

Hello again!

Yesterday I got a shockwave treatment of my physical therapist, hurt a little now and then when you hit the most tenderest areas.
It will be very interesting to see how the treatment will work.
Me and my physiotherapist Lars Lundgren on Hermelinen rehab decided to test a couple of shockwave treatments in the coming week to see if it gives any effect.
The next shockwave treatment will be on Saturday, including laser.

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker
Sasha has uploaded a YouTube video :)
Christmas on ice 2014. Luleå

Thanks for the video.

Sasha is introducing an event there called "Christmas on ice" it will take place on the 20th this month at Coop Arena in Lunea.

Here a link, its in Swedish though.

http://www6.idrottonline.se/LuleaKK-Konstakning/ChristmasonIce/

He asked the skaters on the ice what they will do there, here is what I understood.

Maria wants to do a dance, I believe she said winter dance but not sure.

Lovisa has "stilla nat" which would be silent night if this is what she said? Betty has Marry Poppins with an Umbrella, Emilia wants to be special and not reveal it yet :laugh2: and last but not least he introduced his younger brother who showed a double flip - double toe combination.

The event itself will go for 2 hours with a break as its two acts.

If any Swede could confirm what I said it would be great, not that I talk total nonsense *haha*

Nice idea it is, Swedish skaters always have wonderful exhibition skates - pity I wont be able to attend but if you are in Sweden go check it out! There is also music by a males chore and some other artists including an opera artist.

Last edited:

EVAMARIA

On the Ice
Great you posted this Alex D!

You got almost everthing

Here is a short translation
what will you skate to Maria?
-I will dance to ....sorry but can't hear what she is saying, it is 4 min long but I am not alone on the ice, I am with Max.

next Lovisa
I will skate to Silent Night and the show is dec 20th
and Sasha goes well it is 20 days

Betty
Sasha asks, do you get dizzy when you train?
Well not really but yes perhaps after doing layback spins !
Sasha
We ,me and Betty will do a pair number on xams on ice, well will see how it truns out :)
What else will you do Betty?
A Mary Poppins program with umbrella and all
Sasha
well we dont want to reveal everything so

Emelia
I dont want to. hides herself,puts the gloves in front of face
Sasha goes- well there we have a shy person and nothing we can do about that ,so he continues to the next one and that is

Nicolaj ,Sashas younger brother
What will you do ?
I will do a flipp and toeloop
Sasha
-and he will wear the camera so you can follow how it feels like for a skater to jump I

Lady in the end (think it is mama Callne)

These skaters dont really get how great they are not eeven Alexander who has been to Sochi and the olymic arena but still dont get how great he is. I really long for the 20th of dec and cant wait till we in the audience will get to see the show

well something like that,not the greatest english from me but hope you get somewhat what is said :)

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker
Great you posted this Alex D!

You got almost everthing

Here is a short translation
what will you skate to Maria?
-I will dance to ....sorry but can't hear what she is saying, it is 4 min long but I am not alone on the ice, I am with Max.

next Lovisa
I will skate to Silent Night and the show is dec 20th
and Sasha goes well it is 20 days

Betty
Sasha asks, do you get dizzy when you train?
Well not really but yes perhaps after doing layback spins !
Sasha
We ,me and Betty will do a pair number on xams on ice, well will see how it truns out :)
What else will you do Betty?
A Mary Poppins program with umbrella and all
Sasha
well we dont want to reveal everything so

Emelia
I dont want to. hides herself,puts the gloves in front of face
Sasha goes- well there we have a shy person and nothing we can do about that ,so he continues to the next one and that is

Nicolaj ,Sashas younger brother
What will you do ?
I will do a flipp and toeloop
Sasha
-and he will wear the camera so you can follow how it feels like for a skater to jump I

Lady in the end (think it is mama Callne)

These skaters dont really get how great they are not eeven Alexander who has been to Sochi and the olymic arena but still dont get how great he is. I really long for the 20th of dec and cant wait till we in the audience will get to see the show

well something like that,not the greatest english from me but hope you get somewhat what is said :)

Thanks a lot for filling the gaps ;)

turquoiseblue

Final Flight
Sasha updated his blog :)

Merry X-mas!

I also want to keep you all updated about my injury. The pain in my achilles tendon is still huge, but it slowly gets better. I already started to prepare before Europeans in Stockholm. Everything depends on my progress, if I will be able to jump 3axel before middle of January- then I’ll give my thumbs up to the federation. If it don’t work- then I will give my spot to my teammate Ilya. I can already Jump 2axel with full speed and I think I will atleast try a tripple after some week.

1 month ago I thought that I will never return to the sport due to the mystical pain- now I know I will be back stronger than before.

Thank you all for all help :)

turquoiseblue

Final Flight
Sasha has competed in 3 competitions so far and won the silver medal at Cup of Nice with a total score of 220.10 points :) His next competition is Volvo Open Cup.

Here are some videos:

Cup of Nice 2015
SP
FS

Finlandia Trophy 2015
SP
FS

Sasha's little brother Nikolaj also competed at Cup of Nice, which was his first international competition as a junior. He finished in 6th place with 134.11 points.

turquoiseblue

Final Flight
Sasha competed at Volvo Open Cup, where he won a silver medal with a total score of 203.50 points. Unfortunately he had some boot issues in the free skating but fought to the end. His next competition is Rostelecom Cup.

turquoiseblue

Final Flight
Reposting this from The Edge:

Alexander Majorov has announced today that his father, Alexander senior was diagnosed with a rare type of blood cancer known as severe MDS (myelodysplastic syndrome) in June, which later turned into acute leukemia. Although the doctors tried to search around the world for donors, there was no one who completely matched, so he became the donor for his father.

Alexander withdrew from Rostelecom Cup due to his second blood collection and recently had the operation extracting many of his bone marrow stem cells. He is now unable to practice due to physical pain and low blood count and has had to withdraw from the Swedish Nationals.

Here are the links to his blog entries:
English: http://alexandermajorov.com/2015/12/09/to-everyone-following-my-career/
Swedish: http://alexandermajorov.com/sv/2015/12/09/to-everyone-following-my-career/
Japanese: http://alexandermajorov.com/ja/2015/12/09/to-everyone-following-my-career/

Alexander senior trained for Alexei Mishin and kept skating until he was about 25.
Some old photos of him and Mishin at the Leningrad Championship in 1974:
http://alexandermajorov.com/photos/family/alexander-senior/

Alexander senior was one of Alexei Yagudin's first coaches. For those who are interested, here is an old but very informative article with many pictures published in 2006, where the father and son talk about Alexei, how the Majorov family moved to Sweden, how they once dreamed of going back to Russia, etc.:
Alexander Majorov times two - meet the father/son team