Ankle slant and boot fit issues (Jackson skates)

I'm an adult skater around A6/pre-free and just got my first pair of new, heat-molded fitted skates, Jackson Freestyles. I had been previously skating in Jackson Marquis, bought on eBay from someone who'd gotten them in 2009 and never used them. They fit very comfortably but I had some heel slipping, and my coach recommended Freestyles as I start jumping. However, I've started breaking the Freestyles in and have found them very uncomfortable. In addition to adjusting to the (very different) blade, my feet hurt-toes cramped, arch feels like it's in the wrong place, heel still slips on bunny hops. While they seem to fit when I lace them (knocking the back of the blade on the floor and all that), I think my foot ends up "settling" too far forward when I skate. In comparing the boot shape with my old skates, the ankle is slanted further forward, and I think that's keeping my heel from staying in the right place, as it's forced forward when I straighten my ankle. Additionally, I have similar issues (which haven't gone away) with the used-from-ebay Premieres I got for my pic inlines during quarantine, but I assumed it was just because they were broken in to someone else's foot.

A link to my tumblr post with photos-
nottheiceprince.tumblr.com/post/629796452730912768

Is this a thing? I searched around and couldn't find any discussion comparing skate models/brands by ankle slant. Should I keep trying to break in the Freestyles or try other brands?

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Garder les choses réelles
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm an adult skater around A6/pre-free and just got my first pair of new, heat-molded fitted skates, Jackson Freestyles. I had been previously skating in Jackson Marquis, bought on eBay from someone who'd gotten them in 2009 and never used them. They fit very comfortably but I had some heel slipping, and my coach recommended Freestyles as I start jumping. However, I've started breaking the Freestyles in and have found them very uncomfortable. In addition to adjusting to the (very different) blade, my feet hurt-toes cramped, arch feels like it's in the wrong place, heel still slips on bunny hops. While they seem to fit when I lace them (knocking the back of the blade on the floor and all that), I think my foot ends up "settling" too far forward when I skate. In comparing the boot shape with my old skates, the ankle is slanted further forward, and I think that's keeping my heel from staying in the right place, as it's forced forward when I straighten my ankle. Additionally, I have similar issues (which haven't gone away) with the used-from-ebay Premieres I got for my pic inlines during quarantine, but I assumed it was just because they were broken in to someone else's foot.

A link to my tumblr post with photos-
nottheiceprince.tumblr.com/post/629796452730912768

Is this a thing? I searched around and couldn't find any discussion comparing skate models/brands by ankle slant. Should I keep trying to break in the Freestyles or try other brands?
First of all, did you get professionally fit for these boots or are you just buying them off of ebay?

For these I went to a professional, I didn't do that with my previous ones.

Turbo-Mom

On the Ice
My son, a competitive ice dancer, had a cadaver transplant on his left ankle when he was 15 (12 years ago) He returned to the ice a year later in Jackson’s and they were perfect for him and the Jackson Reps helped him quite a bit
He switched to another brand a few years ago but Jackson’s were instrumental in getting him back on the ice. Talk to your representative

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Country
Scotland
Stupid question but did the skate tech measure your feet or just ask you what size your other skates were? They sure sound like they're too big.

The difference between the blades is because the Ultima Aspire blade has a 8 foot rocker, so it's flatter than the MK 21 blades with the 7 foot rocker, and the MK profile is just rounder.