Arch pain causing pronation | Golden Skate

Arch pain causing pronation

shumaislife

Rinkside
Hello everyone, I am hoping you all can help me determine why I'm having arch pain and what can be done! I just got my new Jackson Freestyles, and they were really comfortable in the shop. Got them heat molded and everything. Now that I've tried them on ice, it's causing some major arch pain. The boots seem to press upwards against my arch, especially on the medial side.

To be clear, the pain doesn't seem to be from cramping or using my arch muscles to balance. It feels like it's due to pure pressure against them. My left foot is flatter, and has more issues that my right foot. For example, I was practicing a one foot glide. Because of the arch pain, I am forced to pronate onto my inside edge which alleviates the pressure. Balance is not necessarily and issue, because I can hold this inside edge for quite a while (and go around in circles). But of course, I would much rather go straight for a one foot glide.

Is this arch pain a fit issue, a insole issue, foot pronation issue, or just part of the break-in process? What can I try to figure this out? I would appreciate all your help!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello everyone, I am hoping you all can help me determine why I'm having arch pain and what can be done! I just got my new Jackson Freestyles, and they were really comfortable in the shop. Got them heat molded and everything. Now that I've tried them on ice, it's causing some major arch pain. The boots seem to press upwards against my arch, especially on the medial side.

To be clear, the pain doesn't seem to be from cramping or using my arch muscles to balance. It feels like it's due to pure pressure against them. My left foot is flatter, and has more issues that my right foot. For example, I was practicing a one foot glide. Because of the arch pain, I am forced to pronate onto my inside edge which alleviates the pressure. Balance is not necessarily and issue, because I can hold this inside edge for quite a while (and go around in circles). But of course, I would much rather go straight for a one foot glide.

Is this arch pain a fit issue, a insole issue, foot pronation issue, or just part of the break-in process? What can I try to figure this out? I would appreciate all your help!
Go see an orthopaedist doctor. They should be able to help you, I guarantee that what is more than likely happening here is the pronation is causing the issues with everything else. I have a history of ankle and arch issues due to my supination issues and have had treatment and orthotics I wear in my boots for a very long time now, wish it wouldn't have taken screwing up the ligaments/tendons in my ankles to figure it out.

shumaislife

Rinkside
So I think I figured out what may be the issue... beyond my flat feet. Interestingly enough, my feet normally supinate a tiny bit. But on skates, it's been so so difficult.

I think it's because the sides of my ankles have too much room. My boots don't really "wrap" around my ankle, despite me pulling laces super tight around the hooks. The impression I get is that boots (except Edeas) are supposed to snugly hug the ankles.

Not sure what I can do at this point besides gaining more lacing strength to pull my hooks even tighter.

shumaislife

Rinkside
Welp, it's becoming very expensive and it's been week 1 on the ice. I'm a medical student, and ironically our school health insurance is terrible, so I can't really afford it right now (that money went to new skates). I will as soon as I am able, but I'm running purely on student loans at the moment. Maybe I need to go into ortho as my specialty 🤔 so that I can treat myself in a couple years.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Skating is extremely expensive, but surgery when you snap tendons is even more expensive.