Aurora Games Festival ? | Golden Skate

Aurora Games Festival ?

MasterB

Final Flight
So, I just learned about this competition from an Instagram post Ashley Wagner posted asking which old program she should skate to "LaLaLand or Muse?" The event is taking place next month in Albany, NY. I googled everything I could but there isn't a list of skaters posted anywhere. Does anyone in this forum have any information on this event they can share?

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
So, I just learned about this competition from an Instagram post Ashley Wagner posted asking which old program she should skate to "LaLaLand or Muse?" The event is taking place next month in Albany, NY. I googled everything I could but there isn't a list of skaters posted anywhere. Does anyone in this forum have any information on this event they can share?

The Aurora Games Festival is more of an exhibition event celebrating female athletes across a variety of sports than a regular competition. It was created by Jerry Solomon (Nancy Kerrigan's husband and a well-known sports marketing executive), and Nancy herself is the chair of the figure skating event.

This is the official site if you're curious: https://auroragamesfestival.com/about/
And the list of confirmed athletes: https://auroragamesfestival.com/athletes/

It's structured as Team America vs. Team World but Ashley is the only figure skater confirmed at the moment.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm going to this, so I'm glad they FINALLY announced additional skaters - Ashley was announced months ago and I couldn't imagine her just competing against herself, lol. I think Mirai and Alysa are good additions. Will Team Americas also have some Canadian ladies or even South America (like Brazil's Isadora Williams?)

I imagine they will be adding more to Team World in the coming days, since the competition is a month away. Hoping to see some Russians and Japanese ladies added - maybe Liza or Evgenia? Or Satoko?

When I saw Surya Bonaly's name on the list along with Mae - I thought is she really going to compete? Then I read the release which said she is judging. Makes sense.

I wonder what kind of budget this first-time event has. Will they be able to offer substantial prize money and appearance fees to the athletes, or is the appeal based more the opportunity to promote women's sports?

There is a list of sponsors on their web site. The principal sponsor is the discount clothing chain T. J. Maxx. Will there be any television rights?

Last edited:

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do we know the rest of the competitors. And are they doing a short and long program?

Actually, this could turn out to be a cool competition. You would think that Alyssa Liu, as a current competitor (who already scored over 200 points in a summer event) would totally crush retired skaters like Ashley Wagner and Mirai Nagasu who are just out there entertaining the audience. Mae Berenice Meite, though not a world-beater, will show up in fighting shape.

Still ... the old grey mares just might come out swinging and show us what they used to be. :yes:

Last edited:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm actually going to this. It would be super great to have Gracie there. Low pressure and possibly a lot of fun.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Actually, this could turn out to be an cool competition. You would think that Alyssa Liu, as a current competitor (who already scored over 200 points in a summer event) would totally crush retired skaters like Ashley Wagner and Mirai Nagasu who are just out there entertaining the audience. Mae Berenice Meite, though not a world-beater, will show up in fighting shape.

Still ... the old grey mares just might come out swinging and show us what they used to be. :yes:

Really, Mathman? Ashley and Mirai are “old grey mares” who are just out there to entertain the audience? That’s an incredibly insulting characterization of two former National champions and Olympic team medalists who are both still in their twenties.

^ Youth must be served. Out with the old, in with the new, I always say. ;)

By the way, Mirai looked competition-ready in her recent info-mercial.

I should have said this: This will be a cool competition because it will be a grudge match between Mirai, who got jobbed by Ashley in 2014, and Ashley, who wuzrobbed by Mirai in 2018. Grrrr. :biggrin:

Tavi...

Record Breaker

I should have said this: This will be a cool competition because it will be a grudge match between Mirai, who got jobbed by Ashley in 2014, and Ashley, who wuzrobbed by Mirai in 2018. Grrrr. :biggrin:

Good to hear about Mirai! And actually, yeah, I like the idea of a grudge match much better. :)

It’s quite an interesting idea - and it will be even more interesting to see if there’s much of an audience for it. Hope so!

nguyhm

On the Ice

I know you meant for all good fun but I'd have to take a stand for my girl Mirai, who deservedly earned her 2nd place fair and square. (please don't hit me) but I would say Asley wuzrobbed by Karen ouch :slink:
I wish I could be there to watch Mirai and Ashley skate - I miss them.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm always here for an opportunity to see Mae skate, so this sounds like fun! Going by the wording of the press release, 'Team The Americas' seems to be complete, but I wonder who the two other skaters on Team Rest of the World will be? Who else trains in the US and might be up for it? Kailani? Or might they fly in someone like Loena Hendrickx or Viveca Lindfors?

macy

Record Breaker

you mean Karen? :biggrin: Mirai was 100% deserving of 2nd, but i'm not opening this can of worms. :)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can you tell me what Mirai said? I couldn't really hear it...

I'd like to comply, but I don't know what you're referring to. The AW instagram was just a snapshot. :)