Australian figure skaters | Page 114 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*runs into thread shrieking*

SBS IS LIVE STREAMING THE MEN/PAIRS/GALA FROM SKATE AMERICA THIS IS NOT A DRILL I REPEAT THIS IS NOT A DRILL

https://www.sbs.com.au/topics/video/1345980995981/ISU-Figure-Skating-Live-on-SBS

Times!

Men
SP: Saturday 3pm-4:35pm
FS: Sunday 9:05am - 10:55am

Pairs
SP: Saturday 1:30pm-2:40pm
FS: Sunday 7:10am - 8:30am

Gala: Monday 12:15pm-2:45pm

OMG this is brilliant!!! I was wondering about trying to find a free stream and now I don't have to fear, SBS is here!

I must send them a very positive and happy email about this.

Thanks for the heads up, Karne! Can't wait to see it! :biggrin:

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is random, but has anyone heard what Holly Harris has been up to? I've been hoping to see her in competition but she's not competed in a long time...

GF2445

Record Breaker
This is random, but has anyone heard what Holly Harris has been up to? I've been hoping to see her in competition but she's not competed in a long time...

No idea. Her social media looks like she is still skating for team AUS, but no news.

christinaskater

Medalist
Loved watching the Australian Nationals in Macquarie!

It was my first time watching a Figure skating event in Sydney and I had a blast.

I got to talk to Kailanie! She was so lovely and down to earth. She skated phenomenally !

I only watch the Ladies free skate but I got to see Brendan from a far.

Kailanie and Brooklyn Han were a cut above the rest.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Loved watching the Australian Nationals in Macquarie!

It was my first time watching a Figure skating event in Sydney and I had a blast.

I got to talk to Kailanie! She was so lovely and down to earth. She skated phenomenally !

I only watch the Ladies free skate but I got to see Brendan from a far.

Kailanie and Brooklyn Han were a cut above the rest.

Glad you had a good time! Kailani and Brooklee were outstanding. Even with Brooklee's little errors she really shone, I feel like these are her two best programs.

Brendan was exceptional, his SP was wonderful and his FS was pretty good too (even if Disaster Grease). It's a shame you didn't get to see the men's free, because Andrew was exquisite, James was a little firecracker and Jordan skated one of his best programs in a long time. It was a really great event!

GF2445

Record Breaker
I really enjoyed the ice dance. I was encouraged to see the progress.
I was also happy to see Dani and Greg coaching.

The Finn

Record Breaker
I will mention here that a finnish junior skater Milania Väänänen has said that she and an australian skater Hektor Giotopaulus Moore are planning to team up and switch to pair skating. Or maybe Hektor is already a pair skater, she didn't specify. In any case, if things would work out then they would likely train in Russia and in Finland.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I will mention here that a finnish junior skater Milania Väänänen has said that she and an australian skater Hektor Giotopaulus Moore are planning to team up and switch to pair skating. Or maybe Hektor is already a pair skater, she didn't specify. In any case, if things would work out then they would likely train in Russia and in Finland.

I heard something about this earlier this year, that Hektor had skated pairs in a domestic comp (Crystal) with a young Russian girl. If this is the case then evidently that partnership didn't work out.

essence_of_soy

On the Ice

Hektor skated in the junior pairs event at the Crystal Challenge in Melbourne a few months ago. Their short program protocols indicated that they were very promising. But for whatever reason, they did not compete in the free skate the following day.

Hektor was a spectator at the recent Australian Championships in Sydney. Boy has he grown since the last time I saw him in late 2015 at the National Titles in Penrith. He looked very strong, fit, and tall. I am sorry to hear his recent partnership did not work out, as I believe they had been training together for a year. But I am also glad that he will be continuing, too.

GF2445

Record Breaker
From ISA photos, our Four Continents Squad is:

M:
Brendan Kerry
Andrew Dodds
James Min

W:
Kailani Craine
Brooklee Han
<Sadly, we are still waiting for a third Australian woman to step up, or pull away from the 'peloton' (so to speak) and join the top two>

P:
Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya & Harley Windsor
<hoping to see a second pair come up in the coming years :D>

ID:
Chantelle Kerry & Andrew Dodds
Matilda Friend & William Badaoui
India Nette & Eron Westwood* (Pending ISU Tech. Minimums)

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
<Sadly, we are still waiting for a third Australian woman to step up, or pull away from the 'peloton' (so to speak) and join the top two>

Amelia Jackson was agonisingly close to meeting the minimum junior world TES at last weekend's Grand Prix of Bratislava. That was without including any triple jumps in either of her routines. I believe she is coming back from an injury sustained at the national championships.

Jackson is also entered in several more junior and senior events in January to attempt getting those minimums.

Other skaters with the potential to reach Four Continents minimums are Lucy Sori Yun and Katie Pasfield.

There were three very promising ladies in the Advanced Novice category at the Australian championships. Vlada Vasiliev, Victoria Alcantara and Amelie Tabor are definitely ones to watch for future reference.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's interesting, but...I found the gap to the field in the ladies much more stark than in the men.

Brooklee and Kailani were just so, so good and it was so, so obvious they're that good. But in the men, even though on paper with Brendan landing five quads across two programs it looks like it should have been worse, it really wasn't. Andrew won the PCS and that was very much as it should have been, James was a little firecracker, Jordan was excellent, Darian's a little star and Charlton keeps improving in leaps and bounds. The men's event was exciting, even though we knew who was going to win, barring disaster. It was exciting because the other men made it exciting, because we had four men with TES minimums and two spots available (once Brendan is excluded). It was a fight and they all came to play.

I'll be interested to see how much longer Andrew keeps doing both. It didn't appear to affect him at Nationals - and dance and men's were on the same day this year, unlike last year - but Championship level is another matter.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Merry Christmas everyone.
Looking forward to great things from our Australian skaters this coming year.

Andrea82

Medalist
Panfield and Nette/Westwood are entered at Mentor Cup on January 8-12th which is the last week to get minimum TES for 4 Continents.

Kerry will also compete there.

Update: Panfield withdrew

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sadly, India and Eron didn't get the minimums at Torun. But I have high hopes for next year!

GF2445

Record Breaker
Sad news everyone.
Macquarie Centre management have made the decision to demolish the Macquarie Ice Rink next year, for the purpose to make way for centre upgrades. This was the ice rink that hosted nationals last month.