Backspin - how long did it take you to get yours? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Backspin - how long did it take you to get yours?

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Agreed and added more detail.
Imo toeloop is often one of the last jumps that should be taught (due to the technique been so difficult to understand and the high tendencies to toe-waltz), however due to curriculum Its usually taught just after salchow.

A backspin is like an investment, as is fine technical detail with every element. It takes a lot of time at the start, but in long run pays off.
When I coach, I teach salchow and loop as the first singles and I do them together. I find a lot of people find jumps that don't have a weight shift more difficult simply because they have to change the whole feeling of jumping when they start doing it so I introduce it at the same time. Toe jumps don't seem to instill the same problem but if I begin to find out that they do, I might start with flip instead of loop but flip is a bit complicated too so I wait. It has been working pretty well, especially for students who are a bit older and are more prone to being scared to try new things. Learning two jumps before they know one jump makes it feel like one new thing instead of two separate ones. Toe loop is the last weight shift jump I teach (after waltz and salchow) other than axel and since I usually find my students a new coach at that point it's usually the last jump I teach all together. I'm not comfortable coaching above one rotation yet other than just giving small tips.

I love your point on the backspin. I wish I had worked on perfecting my backspin earlier because of how much a proper rotation position is important now that I'm starting triples again. Work on those backspins everyone. And your loop jump too as it also really helps with rotation position if you get comfortable with it.