Beginner Boot/Blade Recommendations for an Adult Man | Golden Skate

Beginner Boot/Blade Recommendations for an Adult Man

StarlightTiger

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Hi everyone! I'm new to figure skating and look forward to learning this fun sport! I've been out in rental skates a number of times at my local rink, but since I've joined my university's figure skating club and signed up for beginner adult lessons, I've decided to purchase my own skates.

I'm scheduled to get fitted for figure skates in a week or two. However, I'd like to have an idea of what boots and blades are appropriate before I go. Could someone recommend a few boots, blades, or combinations that may be good for a beginner like me? (I'm a bit larger than the typical skater.) I've listed more information below:

I'm in my late 20s, 6'2", and 175lbs (~188cm and 80kg) with moderately wide feet and high arches. I play tennis competitively and wear extremely stable tennis and running shoes.

Thanks for the help!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi everyone! I'm new to figure skating and look forward to learning this fun sport! I've been out in rental skates a number of times at my local rink, but since I've joined my university's figure skating club and signed up for beginner adult lessons, I've decided to purchase my own skates.

I'm scheduled to get fitted for figure skates in a week or two. However, I'd like to have an idea of what boots and blades are appropriate before I go. Could someone recommend a few boots, blades, or combinations that may be good for a beginner like me? (I'm a bit larger than the typical skater.) I've listed more information below:

I'm in my late 20s, 6'2", and 175lbs (~188cm and 80kg) with moderately wide feet and high arches. I play tennis competitively and wear extremely stable tennis and running shoes.

Thanks for the help!
Hello and welcome! You are going to want to look at Jackson and Risport boots (the only two that will really accommodate higher arches and wider foot) and an intermediate blade (MK PRO or John Wilson Coronation Ace). I'm suggesting a non boot/blade combo because with your stats: Height etc, you are not going to have a stiff enough boot in the ready made combos. You are going to need a stiffer boot and because of that a separate blade (intermediate blade), than someone smaller or younger would need.

Jackson: You may be able to get away with the Premier Fusion 2802 with the stiffness rating of 69 but I would not go below that. Risport Royal Pro and possibly as low as RF3 Pro.

Please make sure you get proper fitting from Professional Figure skate fitter, not a hockey shop person who does not know FS. They should be measuring and tracing your foot for proper fit.

Good luck! :)

StarlightTiger

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Hello and welcome! You are going to want to look at Jackson and Risport boots (the only two that will really accommodate higher arches and wider foot) and an intermediate blade (MK PRO or John Wilson Coronation Ace). I'm suggesting a non boot/blade combo because with your stats: Height etc, you are not going to have a stiff enough boot in the ready made combos. You are going to need a stiffer boot and because of that a separate blade (intermediate blade), than someone smaller or younger would need.

Jackson: You may be able to get away with the Premier Fusion 2802 with the stiffness rating of 69 but I would not go below that. Risport Royal Pro and possibly as low as RF3 Pro.

Please make sure you get proper fitting from Professional Figure skate fitter, not a hockey shop person who does not know FS. They should be measuring and tracing your foot for proper fit.

Good luck! :)
Thank you for your reply! Now I have a much better understanding of which boots, blades, and stiffness I should consider. (It seems that most brand guides and recommendations are geared toward smaller skaters.) I really appreciate it!

Because the cost of purchasing boots and a blade is going to be a bit higher than I expected, I want to be sure I get sized correctly. Could someone recommend a good figure skating fitter in or near Virginia? (I'm willing to travel.) Thanks!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you for your reply! Now I have a much better understanding of which boots, blades, and stiffness I should consider. (It seems that most brand guides and recommendations are geared toward smaller skaters.) I really appreciate it!

Because the cost of purchasing boots and a blade is going to be a bit higher than I expected, I want to be sure I get sized correctly. Could someone recommend a good figure skating fitter in or near Virginia? (I'm willing to travel.) Thanks!
Fairfax Ice Arena. Ask for Marlon or John only! You must book ahead of time with them as well (at least a week in advance).

[email protected]

StarlightTiger

Rinkside
Country
United-States
So, how was your experience at Fairfax Ice Arena? Did you find the right skates for you? How much time did they spend with you?
I had a great experience at Fairfax Ice Arena! Even though it was a couple hours drive each way, I thought it was well worth the time (especially considering the cost of buying boots and blades)! Like IceRabbit suggested, I made an appointment one week in advance. During my fitting, my foot was measured and it was determined that either Jackson or Risport would be good options. (They seem to specialize in Jackson and Edea boots.) Initially, they tried to steer me towards boot/blade combos like the Jackson Freestyles because of their lower cost and allowance for good knee bends. Yet, when I mentioned that I was an athlete and wanted a stiffer boot for safety, they were happy to go with that. I was limited in what boots I could try on at the store because they don't stock lots of men's boots. Even so, I was able to try on lower-model boots in approximately the size I was looking for. I even asked to try on Edea boots just for fun; they definitely wouldn't have worked for me. I ended up going with Jackson boots and Coronation Ace blades. Both had to be ordered from the manufacturers since what I purchased wasn't in stock - I'd have to make a second trip back to Fairfax Ice Arena.

Once my boots and blades arrived at their store (pretty quickly - I was expecting it to take longer), they called me and set up another appointment - it ended up being exactly one week after my first. During my second appointment, I tried on the boots to make sure they fit, had the boots heat molded, blades sharpened and mounted on a temporary mount, and skated for a few minutes on their rink since it was deserted at the time. The blades were intentionally left on a temporary mount since I was a beginner. I had them fully mounted later at my local rink.

After going out on the ice a few times for group lessons and public skating, I was really worried I bought the wrong size boots! I had severe pain in my feet, particularly in my larger foot. I knew figure skating boots were supposed to fit snugly and there was a break-in period, but it was worse than I expected. I considered driving back to FIA and having the boots heat molded again or getting them stretched or punched. However, I didn't have time in my schedule to do it.

After continuing to skate, the boots started to feel much better! I think my mistake was skating on them for 2-3 hours during the public skate sessions. Had I known, I probably would have stopped much sooner. But now, I can skate for an hour with very little pain - I still notice it after 2+ hours, but it's not bad. Night and day compared to what it felt like when I first bought them! They feel like the perfect size.

In short, I had a great experience at Fairfax Ice Arena. I found the right boots and blades and have been very happy skating in them in my local Adult Learn To Skate group lessons and public skate sessions. I don't remember exactly how much time they spent with me during my appointments. It felt like a short time, but looking back, I think that was because it took so long to get there and I was pretty nervous about buying figure skates. They answered all of my questions in detail, offered suggestions, and were friendly to work with. I could even have stayed longer if I wanted; they didn't rush me at all. We went over everything pretty thoroughly. If/when I buy another pair of boots or blades, I'll go back to FIA.

Hope that helps!

Talionis

Rinkside
That’s great! I’m glad you had such a good experience. I expect I’ll be looking for new skates sometime in the next year, and it’s good to know that there’s someplace within a reasonable distance where I can get a quality fitting.

I had the same problem with initial foot pain with my current skates. Like you, I seem to be settling into them over time, and I’m confident that I have the right size. I’m hoping to enjoy the sweet spot between “breaking in” and “breaking down” for as long as possible.