Best of Figure Skating Marathon Weekend #1 | Golden Skate

Best of Figure Skating Marathon Weekend #1

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I’m sure many of us have been glued to our screens over the last few days, completely engrossed in the first figure skating viewing marathon of the new season—JGP Russia, ACI, and Lombardia, all happening simultaneously. So, out of everything you saw, what were your favorites?

I really didn’t get to see much of the JGP, but out of what I did see, my favorites were Guignard/Fabbri’s FD at Lombardia, and Kevin Aymoz’s SP at ACI.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ACI. Evgenia Medvedeva and Kevin Aymoz and Piper and Gilles

Lombardia Boyang, Aliev. And Peter James's Footloose

JGP. Just watched ladies. Nana and The Russian ladies

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
i tried to catch as much as I can live, but alas I’m but a mere mortal and sleep is required.

ACI (watched live): Rika winning and landing three 3As, two clean. Junhwan’s FS. Beautiful program and I hope that he’ll skate it clean with jumps fully rotated. His 4F would have gotten about 3.5 points in GOE if fully rotated. Aymoz’s SP and his cartwheel thingie at the end of it. I rarely say something like this, but Kevin has the sort of charm that should be illegal. It’s very hard to dislike anything that he does.

Lombardia (watched women live): Tuktamysheva kinda landed her 3As. I really like her, but I like her in spite of her programs, not because of them. Boyang’s SP and FS.

annajzdf

Rinkside
Seeing the joy and excitement on Anna Shcherbakova's and Keegan's faces during their skates, they seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themyelves out there.
Also Keegan handing Camden that rose from a fan when he should have been focusing on preparing his own skate. :luv17:

Also saw Celestino for the first time, his skating looked sooo nice during practice (seemed more timid during actual comp though), those soft knees! :love:

believed

On the Ice
FB/S’ Bonnie and Clyde RD and Rika Kihira’s FS for me!!! Runner up to Evgenia’s FS, which I can’t wait to see grow.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
1) I did not have to get up at ungodly hours to watch any of the competitions I wanted to see.

2) At Chelyabinsk, Artur Danielian's rather fabulous SP, Kseniia Sinitsina's attention to detail and very niceo choreos (if only her face would be more expressive).

3) At Lombardia, Dmitri Aliev doing so much better than what the test skates a week before suggested. Matteo Rizzo's FS could be good when it gets a bit of mileage. The Finnish kids did alright!

4) At ACI, Evgenia Medvedeva's SP, Rika Kihira's unusual choices of music (not sure if she is quite ready for them yet, though), Junhwan Cha's FS, and Kevin Aymoz being just fabulous in every possible way. But above all, Javier Fernández doing an impro meet & greet on the first day :biggrin:

E

asiacheetah

On the Ice
I am shallow. My favorite part is Yuzu's new Origin costume.

:2thumbs:

That and his improved Origin step sequence complete with violin playing. Actually, also his Otonol step sequence. All the step sequences!

monidi

Rinkside
1. ACI
• The biggest star was Yuzuru of course. Can't express how grateful I'm he is still competing. This was probably his best first competition. Overall 3 mistakes on quads but rest was good for this time of the year. I love all those little details and nuances he added to his programs. I really hope he stays healthy this whole season and can improve these programs even more.
• I really liked Kevin's SP and good to see he got good score. His FS is probably still a work in progress but quite promising. And great to see him so happy in KC!
• Nice programs for Jun. Hope they can fix his jumps because it really hurts his score. And please no injuries and boot problems for him.
• Rika's 3As are so consistent and effortless, wow. Amazing how she was able to do in this competition despite her recent injury. What a fighter. I liked her SP, FS probably still needs a little more time to develop. But I liked the concept.
• Great to see Karen back. Her spirals and her amazing jumps are :love:. Hope she can gain more control.

• Men's medal ceremony was fun, thanks Keegan!
• Some strange and very selective calls (or lack of them) by TP were not cool.
• Of course most people were there to see Yuzuru, but great to see they cheered for all skaters. Such a nice warm atmosphere.
• Thankful to SC for streaming everything, even practices.

2. JGP Russia
• I really enjoyed Ksenia especially. Also Kamila, Nana, Artur.
• Really enjoyed opening ceremony, Ted and full stands.

Didn't have time to watch Lombardia yet, I just saw Boyang and Dmitri. Good first competition for them. But TP was probably sleeping most of the time tho.

doublequad

On the Ice
The Lombardia judging panel was way too generous and the ACI panel was not so much. Annoying.
Junhwan's Quad Flip!
Kamila qualifying for GPF.
Elizaveta's 3 3A's.
I hope Rika's ankle gets better

tzazu

Medalist
Kevin Aymoz in ACI,wow, his SP is...no words, only wow. And Aliev in Lombardia, hope he follows improving this year:biggrin:

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Kevin Aymoz in ACI,wow, his SP is...no words, only wow. And Aliev in Lombardia, hope he follows improving this year:biggrin:
Well since I watched almost all of it live, it was a great weekend of skating!:yes2:

Same as last year, Aymoz was shockingly good at ACI! :love: And I also quite enjoyed Starr Andrews SP at Lombardia, along with Aliev's good skate, Adrien Tesson's great choreography, and the South Africa skater, Samuels who got major congrats after a simple but flawless skate! :cool2:

Kudos to the Canadian Dance couple who snuck in a Bronze to be the only non-Russian to medal at the JGP Russia :clap: (I should have known and made better predictions! :disapp:)

Now that I have slept for 2 days....yay, bring on the next marathon! :laugh:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1. First and foremost: Kevin Aymoz, with his incredible expression, joy, skill, musical attention to every note at Autumn Classic SP.

2. Camden Pulkinen, SP at AC, USA man just out of juniors. Camden is an artist. That says it all.

3. Iuliia Artemeva and Mikhail Nazarychev. This junior pair has everything. The exuberance and artistry that they're showing warm my heart tremendously. I hope they can keep these qualities intact, even though they have to compete with (to me) less heart-driven pairs in tech content. A/N seem to embody a desire to connect with their own expressive abilities and enjoyment.

4. Kate Wang. A USA junior lady who's brand new to me. I just love everything about her: her ease, her inner light, her ability to actually enjoy competing at a new level with this experience. And her jumps, so effortless and (IIRC) big.

5. Carolane Soucisse and Shane Firus SP and FS at AC. I love seeing them return to their wheelhouse, which they are brilliant at. I like seeing skaters shine on their own passion and their own terms, whatever they may be ... to me that beats showing diversity in style. Also, they have something, a Fred & Ginger 1930s quality, that insures audiences happiness and pleasure for seeing diverse acts in any competition.

6. Caroline Green and Michael Parsons. Okay, here is a new US dance pair, and I love the new pairing. And let me just admit that probably, whoever he dances with, I'll be watching Michael!

7. Allison Reed and Saulius A. (LIT) I love that she, and they, are happy to be at events like these. At least their skating says that to me. Also, I can't believe I've singled out all these ice dancers, since ID is probably my least favorite.

8. Laurence Fournier-Boudry and Nikolas Sorensen. One more can't hurt :) They're coming into their own more delightfully each year!

9. Almost forgot to say how thrilled I am with Evgenia Medvedeva. What she desires to accomplish and express through her figure skating comes through with wonderful clarity. She's inner directed, with an inner toughness which comes out in her skating as tenderness and character-driven sensibility. Wow.

10. Autumn Classic judges (men's division at least) for rightly giving Aymoz higher PCS than Hanyu in the FS! :cheer:

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Men at Autumn Classic, especially the top five. I can't wait to see all of their programs grow and develop over the season!

Ladies at Lombardia Trophy: Anna coming out strong with two amazing programs, Liza with another fun free and her beautiful jumps, Young You's 3A (!!), Yelim Kim's expressive performances and Wakaba... well, I hope she has a better outing next time because these programs have the potential to be her best ever. Plus I'm sure I'm forgetting a few ;)

The whole Dance event at AC-- so much fun! So much charm!

Dance at Lombardia-- really excited by Fornier-Beaudry/Sorensen's new programs, LOVE Green/Parsons' FD and intrigued by Guignard/Fabbri's. Lajoie/Lagha working on interesting new directions too (should be fun to see them vs Soucisse/Firus) and mime FD aside it's good to see Nazarova/Nikitin apparently on the upswing again after a rough last season.

Ladies at AC-- I really like Rika's new programs and am confident her performance chops with them will increase as the season goes on the way they did last season. Evgenia's SP is a winner, not as sure about the FS personally. Great to see Eunsoo make the podium with a strong FS and I love her new SP. Some nice moments from Karen and Alexia, both so close to that bronze! I also really liked Kailani and Mae.

And now to catch up on the JGP and Lombardia Men :biggrin:

xox

On the Ice
Highlights KEVIN!!!!!!, Keegan, Soucisse/Firus loving their energy and vibe!, Rika!!

klena

On the Ice
Lombardia: ladies -Anna Shcherbakova's great comeback with her beautiful FP and 4Lz first internationally. men - good start of the season for Dima Aliev, Boyang's SP, dances- canadian pair FB/S' RT (Bonnie & Clyde)

JPG Russia: girls - Kamila Valieva with her beautiful programs and quads, all russian girls were perfect, dances - Shanaeva/Narizhny RT ( and again Bonnie & Clyde), pairs - Аrtemieva/Nazarychev

ACI: men -of course Kevin Aymoz, I was really impressed by him, ladies - was interesting to see Rika's new programs, dances - have not seen yet.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Loving Piper/Paul this season and hope they can breakthrough.

Kevin Aymoz was sublime at ACI, and the marks were totally deserved. Hoping he can pull off what Rizzo did last season. Such a breath of fresh air.. the ACI crowd was certainly lucky.

Congrats on Jin for breaking 100 already in the SP this season. His skating has a ways to go still artistically but the jumps were looking good.

Scherbackova was also amazing. I hadn’t seen her FS ... now THAT is a reveal! And gorgeous quad lutz. I felt the other jumps were a bit squeaked out but still an interesting program.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Matilda and William's adorable RD, Kevin Aymoz, Mae-Berenice's costumes, Galyavieva/Thauron skating a Carmen that didn't put me to sleep, VOGUE.