Blade Advice Needed | Golden Skate

Blade Advice Needed

Cirrusate

Spectator
Hello! I am finally getting new skates after about a year of skating. :eek: (with a large break in the center, sadly, but still progress is showing!) I have basically decided on my boot (Riedell 255 Motion, although I want to try a Jackson model for around the same level and price to see if I like it any better- I will make a seperate thread asking questions about that), but the blade is giving me a little bit of trouble. I watched some reviews of the more popular blade models on youtube and that just gave me more questions than answers. I will list my questions here and give some info about me and my level below to help you answer them if you can! (Two of the blades I am considering are the Riedell Aurora and ISE Shadow) (My skates now are Riedell Opals, with the stock Spiral blade, which I couldn't find any info for)

I found out some blades are made of carbon steel coated with chrome, but that the chrome will scratch off over time and allow the blades to rust. Now, I would never leave my blades wet and I always store them in soakers, but why pay 400+ for a blade that has a higher chance of rusting? What are the benefits to a chrome blade, if any? The Riedell Aurora is made of pure stainless steel with a mirrored finish, so no chrome chipping, and it is lazer cut, I think. What is the difference between making a blade out of stainless steel instead of carbon steel? I know stainless steel is more resistant to rust, so why aren't more blades made of it? Is it heavy? I don't particularly want a very heavy blade, I am quite short and don't have a lot of muscle to lug around a really heavy blade yet. Has anyone used the ISE Shadow, and if so, what did you think of it? Did the chrome plating hold up well? What about the Aurora? I want a blade with a 7' radius, and both the shadow and Aurora have that, so is there any major differences between the two? I have found basically NO information about the Shadow, since there is a game called "Shadow blade" that takes up most of the results... So any and all information or experiences with this blade will be much appreciated!
If you could tell me the pros and cons of either blade, as well as suggest new alternatives, that would be great!

So now some information about me/my level~

I am 14 year old Delta skater. (I am technically in Gama, but I've passed all my skills and am working on Delta skills) I will definitely be in freestyle before december and I am already working on some of the advanced skills. (Landed my waltz jump, got my forward and backward spirals, and am practicing spins, but I am waiting for a boot with more support to do half jumps)
I am pretty short, standing at 5'1". (154 cm) I am 113 lbs. (154 kilograms) (I have been told this matters so...) I skate once a week for about 2 hours, hoping to add another day onto that, but as soon as I get my licence I will be going 4-5 times a week for 3 or more hours.

Thank you in advance, I appreciate any and all information you can provide.

(This is my first time posting on a forum, so if I did anything wrong, I'm sorry!)

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
(a) I don’t believe that chipping or peeling of chrome plating from carbon steel blades produced by major manufacturers is a problem. I personally have not encountered this problem (with MK and Wilson blades), and I have never come across another skater with this problem.

(b) Even if the chrome plating were to chip or peel, however, the resulting defect would only be cosmetic. The critical part of the blade—the edges on which you skate—already have no chrome plating: the chrome plating on the sides of the blades along the edges are intentionally removed to expose the hardened carbon steel (this region is called the “chrome relief”), and, of course, there is no chrome plating on the sharpened hollow.

(c) The slight difference in density between stainless steel and carbon steel does not lead to any significant difference in the weights of the blades. Differences in design details from blade to blade lead to more significant differences in weights.

(d) Chrome-plated carbon steel blades have been available much longer than stainless steel blades. They are cheaper to produce (although Eclipse now has low-cost, low-end beginner stainless steel blades in addition to their more expensive high-end advanced stainless steel blades). For established manufacturers, changing over to stainless steel requires retooling the production plant and changing processes (costs time and money). As more of the newer manufacturers introduce stainless steel blades at competitive prices, I'm hoping that the established manufacturers (namely Wilson and MK) will switch over to stainless steel too (but so far they haven't).

(e) I previously compared the Eclipse Aurora to the Wilson Coronation Ace here:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?56506-Has-anyone-tried-Eclipse-Aurora-blades

I don’t know anything about the ISE Shadow. Traditional chrome-plated carbon steel blades on the same level as the Eclipse Aurora are the Wilson Coronation Ace and the MK Professional. The only feature of the Coronation Ace that I prefer over the Aurora is the smaller spin rocker radius on the Coronation Ace; in all other features, the Aurora is comparable or superior and worth the slight extra cost (Aurora is made in Canada and Coronation Ace is made in UK; prices vary somewhat with exchange rates); with longer intervals between sharpenings, Aurora will actually cost less.

(Willkommen! You're doing just fine.)

treesprite

Final Flight
I just started using Eclipse Aurora blades and I love them, but your feet and other factors should help you determine which blade to get. I have high arches which tend to make people put their weight further towards their toes, so a 7 foot rocker blade (which the Aurora is), is better for me. The 8 foot rocker blades are flatter, with the toe pick closer to the ice, so I kept having problems in them. A person with average or even low arches, is less likely to have this problem. The flatter blades usually make jump landings feel more solid, so 8 foot rocker blades are good for big jumps, if a person is able to adjust to that type of blade.

You might want to find out what the rocker is on your current skate blades, and figure that answer into the choice of your new blades.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I just started using Eclipse Aurora blades and I love them, but your feet and other factors should help you determine which blade to get. I have high arches which tend to make people put their weight further towards their toes, so a 7 foot rocker blade (which the Aurora is), is better for me. The 8 foot rocker blades are flatter, with the toe pick closer to the ice, so I kept having problems in them. A person with average or even low arches, is less likely to have this problem. The flatter blades usually make jump landings feel more solid, so 8 foot rocker blades are good for big jumps, if a person is able to adjust to that type of blade.

You might want to find out what the rocker is on your current skate blades, and figure that answer into the choice of your new blades.

Note that the radius of the main rocker is only one factor that affects the toe pick clearance. Other factors include the radius of the spin rocker, the placement of the drag pick, and the size, geometry, and orientation of the drag pick. Consequently, blades with the same radius of the main rocker (e.g., 7' or 8') can have different toe pick clearances. And a blade with a 7' radius of the main rocker can have the same, less, or more toe pick clearance than a blade with an 8' radius of the main rocker, depending on other factors. Paramount has informative videos on toe pick clearance, as characterized by "heel lift":

https://www.paramountskates.com/videos

; in particular, the videos on "Blade Profiles" and "Lift Angles".

theadultskater

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Hello! I am finally getting new skates after about a year of skating. :eek: (with a large break in the center, sadly, but still progress is showing!) I have basically decided on my boot (Riedell 255 Motion, although I want to try a Jackson model for around the same level and price to see if I like it any better- I will make a seperate thread asking questions about that), but the blade is giving me a little bit of trouble. I watched some reviews of the more popular blade models on youtube and that just gave me more questions than answers. I will list my questions here and give some info about me and my level below to help you answer them if you can! (Two of the blades I am considering are the Riedell Aurora and ISE Shadow) (My skates now are Riedell Opals, with the stock Spiral blade, which I couldn't find any info for)

I found out some blades are made of carbon steel coated with chrome, but that the chrome will scratch off over time and allow the blades to rust. Now, I would never leave my blades wet and I always store them in soakers, but why pay 400+ for a blade that has a higher chance of rusting? What are the benefits to a chrome blade, if any? The Riedell Aurora is made of pure stainless steel with a mirrored finish, so no chrome chipping, and it is lazer cut, I think. What is the difference between making a blade out of stainless steel instead of carbon steel? I know stainless steel is more resistant to rust, so why aren't more blades made of it? Is it heavy? I don't particularly want a very heavy blade, I am quite short and don't have a lot of muscle to lug around a really heavy blade yet. Has anyone used the ISE Shadow, and if so, what did you think of it? Did the chrome plating hold up well? What about the Aurora? I want a blade with a 7' radius, and both the shadow and Aurora have that, so is there any major differences between the two? I have found basically NO information about the Shadow, since there is a game called "Shadow blade" that takes up most of the results... So any and all information or experiences with this blade will be much appreciated!
If you could tell me the pros and cons of either blade, as well as suggest new alternatives, that would be great!

So now some information about me/my level~

I am 14 year old Delta skater. (I am technically in Gama, but I've passed all my skills and am working on Delta skills) I will definitely be in freestyle before december and I am already working on some of the advanced skills. (Landed my waltz jump, got my forward and backward spirals, and am practicing spins, but I am waiting for a boot with more support to do half jumps)
I am pretty short, standing at 5'1". (154 cm) I am 113 lbs. (154 kilograms) (I have been told this matters so...) I skate once a week for about 2 hours, hoping to add another day onto that, but as soon as I get my licence I will be going 4-5 times a week for 3 or more hours.

Thank you in advance, I appreciate any and all information you can provide.

(This is my first time posting on a forum, so if I did anything wrong, I'm sorry!)
What did you end up getting in the end? I have the ISE Sterling and don’t rust and hold an edge!

thisismynewsport

Rinkside
What did you end up getting in the end? I have the ISE Sterling and don’t rust and hold an edge!
The person was last seen on this forum 5 years ago. I don’t think you will get a response bringing up old threads. You already posted one asking if anyone else used your blades and there was not much activity either. I don’t think it’s a very popular blade.

theadultskater

Rinkside
Country
Canada
The person was last seen on this forum 5 years ago. I don’t think you will get a response bringing up old threads. You already posted one asking if anyone else used your blades and there was not much activity either. I don’t think it’s a very popular blade.
I was hoping they would be notified and might get back to me. It’s really difficult to find information on the ISR Sterling and Shadow. Are you a moderator? Am I doing something wrong?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I was hoping they would be notified and might get back to me. It’s really difficult to find information on the ISR Sterling and Shadow. Are you a moderator? Am I doing something wrong?
What the other poster is trying to tell you is, most people in this part of the forum come and ask questions of the experts, get their answers and move on and most never come back. There is a small group of skaters/experts here that talk and give advice, that's about all.

As far as your blade, I believe @tstop4me and myself were really the only ones in your initial thread that knew anything at all about the blades you are asking about and that's probably best info you will get. Those aren't widely popular if at all anymore. Sorry and good luck!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Try a PM. Some people (like me) are set up to get an email notification for a PM but not for a reply or quote.

theadultskater

Rinkside
Country
Canada
What the other poster is trying to tell you is, most people in this part of the forum come and ask questions of the experts, get their answers and move on and most never come back. There is a small group of skaters/experts here that talk and give advice, that's about all.

As far as your blade, I believe @tstop4me and myself were really the only ones in your initial thread that knew anything at all about the blades you are asking about and that's probably best info you will get. Those aren't widely popular if at all anymore. Sorry and good luck!
Hmm… I see. It’s nice that a select few are very responsive and dedicated to helping people with their questions. I came here to share things I know and to hopefully gather information from the entire community. People have different experiences that are equally valuable. Opinions are sometimes just that: opinions. Maybe if the forum was more encouraging to newcomers to participate, people would be more inclined to stay. I feel like I’m doing something wrong by posting on here, and it doesn’t feel very welcoming. Thanks for all of your help, anyway. I sincerely do appreciate it. Not being snarky. Sorry if this thread derailed from the original topic, I hate doing that.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It’s really difficult to find information on the ISR Sterling and Shadow.
It's not clear to me, from this and your other thread, what info you are seeking. Typically, when a skater brings up an obscure blade, it's because of one of two reasons, along the lines of: (1) Hey, I've seen a listing for an ISE Sterling. They claim it's comparable to the Wilson CA/MK Pro. But at half the price. If this is all true, then it's a real steal. But it sounds too good to be true. Anyone have experience with it?; or (2) I have the ISE Sterling. I love it. But the drag pick chipped off. Anyone else have this problem?

But your post isn't in either category. You already have it. You seem to be happy with it; other than one comment that the spin rocker is flat (but that doesn't appear to bother you too much).

theadultskater

Rinkside
Country
Canada
It's not clear to me, from this and your other thread, what info you are seeking. Typically, when a skater brings up an obscure blade, it's because of one of two reasons, along the lines of: (1) Hey, I've seen a listing for an ISE Sterling. They claim it's comparable to the Wilson CA/MK Pro. But at half the price. If this is all true, then it's a real steal. But it sounds too good to be true. Anyone have experience with it?; or (2) I have the ISE Sterling. I love it. But the drag pick chipped off. Anyone else have this problem?

But your post isn't in either category. You already have it. You seem to be happy with it; other than one comment that the spin rocker is flat (but that doesn't appear to bother you too much).
Nono, it’s because this one is the ISE Shadow. Different blade (not the ISE Sterling). I found out about it this morning and I am looking for new information on it. Not related to the previous post I had.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Nono, it’s because this one is the ISE Shadow. Different blade (not the ISE Sterling). I found out about it this morning and I am looking for new information on it. Not related to the previous post I had.

OK. That's not what I read from your above post in this thread:

Perhaps it would have been clearer along the lines of, "I have the ISE Sterling. I need to purchase a new blade. I've come across a listing for an ISE Shadow. I don't know what the differences are. Can anyone here tell me? If you've skated on the Shadow, what did you like/didn't like about it?"

theadultskater

Rinkside
Country
Canada
But I was specifically asking the person who posted…
But I was specifically asking the person who posted (also hoping others with knowledge on this blade might be inclined to provide feedback.) I was thinking maybe they didn’t go along with that choice, so I left it open to know what they chose since I’m in the same boat. Maybe some of you get notifications for every single post and feel inclined to answer or support? That’s what I’m thinking based off of rabbit’s response. Please don’t feel inclined to respond if you don’t know the answer. If I don’t know something, I just skip it. I also don’t expect a response sometimes from anyone, maybe I’ll get something in a year, who knows! I like the suggestion of PMing the person directly, so I will do that going forward if I just want to reach one particular user. I feel odd having to explain my reasoning for using the forum and also having someone tell me how I should word my questions…It’s fine, I’ll go. Thanks for the help. I’m going to look for a more appropriate intermediate blade. 👍🏻

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
But I was specifically asking the person who posted (also hoping others with knowledge on this blade might be inclined to provide feedback.) I was thinking maybe they didn’t go along with that choice, so I left it open to know what they chose since I’m in the same boat. Maybe some of you get notifications for every single post and feel inclined to answer or support? That’s what I’m thinking based off of rabbit’s response. Please don’t feel inclined to respond if you don’t know the answer. If I don’t know something, I just skip it. I also don’t expect a response sometimes from anyone, maybe I’ll get something in a year, who knows! I like the suggestion of PMing the person directly, so I will do that going forward if I just want to reach one particular user. I feel odd having to explain my reasoning for using the forum and also having someone tell me how I should word my questions…It’s fine, I’ll go. Thanks for the help. I’m going to look for a more appropriate intermediate blade. 👍🏻
Wait. I think you are looking at this all wrong regarding our intentions. Many come here and ask questions as you have, and we (who know the sport and equipment inside and out due to either living and breathing competitive sport, and learning it along the way (aka it just comes with the mileage and high level) or those who have skate tech experience, have done our best to answer you and help. That's the point of this part of the forum: You (as in any poster) ask questions, and those of us that know the answers give them and do all we kindly can to help you.
Until today I believed that is what @tstop4me and myself as well as a few others did and thought the question was solved on the initial thread.
No one is trying to be rude, or anything else that's been mistakenly (mis)interpreted.

All anyone wants is to help and get posters the answers they need. Many of the very old posters are gone, it happens as they got what they needed and left.

Again, luckily Tstop and I were able to help in your original thread for the best of our knowledge of it (and many don't even know of those blades existence anymore b/c they simply aren't used so much). There was also probably IIRC, a suggestion of a few more common and better blades you could purchase going forward.

Again, myself and others here were not speaking from a place of negativity.
I wish you luck with finding out more about those blades (though I highly doubt you will find out more past what you were offered in the original thread)/ or choosing a new brand and style of blade.

:) Good luck.