Blade length for Jackson Premiere DJ2800s (the discontinued boot line) | Golden Skate

Blade length for Jackson Premiere DJ2800s (the discontinued boot line)

Myblade

Rinkside
Returning child skater here with a lack of open pro shops / skate fitters in her area who cannot wait any longer to get back on the ice!! Due to COVID restrictions and being on a tight budget (I am broke college student sigh...) I ordered a new pair of the discontinued Jackson Premiere DJ2800 online for a fraction of the price of the new line. Before I quit I was in the Jackson Competitors and they fit like a dream. I was doing axels and beginning my doubles, and since I've gained a bit of weight since then I thought that the Premiere at a slightly higher stiffness would last me for a good amount of time.

I'm planning on purchasing the Coronation Ace blades to go with my boots, but I can't seem to find a good size chart for the older models. The one pro shop that does blade mounting in my area said that they don't have experience with the older models and could not recommend a size either. I've sold my competitors a few years back so I don't have any references anymore, and my boots are still in the mail. I know the best thing to do is wait for the boots to arrive and and measure them, but I forget how much longer the blades are supposed to be. Also, as I have to leave for college soon my timeline is a bit tight. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of the best length of Coronation Aces that fit a women's size 6 for Jackson's old boot line? Thank you guys in advance :)

Last edited:

Sibelius

On the Ice
Well, the best thing to do is to wait, but you know that. Alternatively send an email to Jackson via their web page contact form. They will respond quickly (well, not over the weekend). I'm sure Danielle has an old chart in her desk somewhere.

Myblade

Rinkside
Well, the best thing to do is to wait, but you know that. Alternatively send an email to Jackson via their web page contact form. They will respond quickly (well, not over the weekend). I'm sure Danielle has an old chart in her desk somewhere.
Thank you for this! I will email her. But, do you happen to know how much longer blades are supposed to be from the outsole?

Sibelius

On the Ice
Thank you for this! I will email her. But, do you happen to know how much longer blades are supposed to be from the outsole?
Depends on what you like. "Traditional" blade mounts leave 1/4" gap at the heel. My skater is 13 and theoretically still growing so we go toe to heel to maximize the use out of the blade. The sole on her Premiere Fusion, size 4 1/2, measures 9 3/16". We have a 9" Gold Seal on it, it's a $700 blade, hence why we want to use it as long as possible! (Jackson's blade chart for that model/size says 8 3/4") We should be able to use that blade until she's in a size 5 1/2, or maybe 6, though by then we'll be at the sharpening limit.

I think this is the chart you are looking for. It is from Kinzie's Closet, an online retailer. I know it's old because the security certificate was expired. For an old Premiere (there is no numerical designation on the chart) size 6, the sole length is 9 5/8" and the blade size recommendation is 9 1/2". I'm inserting a link, but I don't know what you'll get when you click on it since the Security Cert. is expired. I trust the site so I didn't have a problem going to it. Scroll about halfway down for the Ladies Blade Size Chart.

You can't do anything until you have them in your hands though, right? It's a common blade and size so your pro shop should either have it in stock or be able to source it quickly. FYI, I don't think your pro shop would like it if you bought it online (you won't save any money on a Wilson blade anywhere) so best to get it from them, maybe they'll mount if and sharpen it for free. You are also going to need those boots heat molded and punched, and you'll probably have to pay for that since you didn't buy them at the shop. Maybe a package "skate prep" deal. Hope they fit!

Old Jackson Blade Size Chart

Last edited:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
OP: My recommendation is to wait. Even if you do retrieve an old chart from the Internet archives, or even if some helpful Jackson rep does send you a copy from their stacks, so what? Jackson blade sizing charts (including the current one on the web) have had the disclaimer:

"Our sizing chart for blade fit is provided as a guideline only. Suggested blade size is approximately 1/4" shorter than overall sole length. Outsoles should be measured for accurate fit." <<Emphasis added>>

This disclaimer was present on their chart in 2014 when I bought Jackson boots. The sizing chart gave a suggested length that was 1/4" shorter than what I actually needed.

Sibelius

On the Ice
OP: My recommendation is to wait. Even if you do retrieve an old chart from the Internet archives, or even if some helpful Jackson rep does send you a copy from their stacks, so what? Jackson blade sizing charts (including the current one on the web) have had the disclaimer:

"Our sizing chart for blade fit is provided as a guideline only. Suggested blade size is approximately 1/4" shorter than overall sole length. Outsoles should be measured for accurate fit." <<Emphasis added>>

This disclaimer was present on their chart in 2014 when I bought Jackson boots. The sizing chart gave a suggested length that was 1/4" shorter than what I actually needed.
To say Jackson's information has historically been inconsistent would be an understatement. I think they are much better than they were a few years ago, so a work in progress. I just know that there is no way our fitter would commit to any blade without the boot in his hands and measured for fit.

1111bm

Final Flight
Returning child skater here with a lack of open pro shops / skate fitters in her area who cannot wait any longer to get back on the ice!! Due to COVID restrictions and being on a tight budget (I am broke college student sigh...) I ordered a new pair of the discontinued Jackson Premiere DJ2800 online for a fraction of the price of the new line. Before I quit I was in the Jackson Competitors and they fit like a dream. I was doing axels and beginning my doubles, and since I've gained a bit of weight since then I thought that the Premiere at a slightly higher stiffness would last me for a good amount of time.

I'm planning on purchasing the Coronation Ace blades to go with my boots, but I can't seem to find a good size chart for the older models. The one pro shop that does blade mounting in my area said that they don't have experience with the older models and could not recommend a size either. I've sold my competitors a few years back so I don't have any references anymore, and my boots are still in the mail. I know the best thing to do is wait for the boots to arrive and and measure them, but I forget how much longer the blades are supposed to be. Also, as I have to leave for college soon my timeline is a bit tight. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of the best length of Coronation Aces that fit a women's size 6 for Jackson's old boot line? Thank you guys in advance
Last year I had my fitter measure my old Competitors in size 6 B against the DJ 2800 Premieres 6 N:

Competitors = 24,7 cm
Premieres DJ2800 = 24,3 cm

I'm wearing 9,5 blades under my Competitors, the discontinued Premieres would require me to go down 1/4, if I wanna keep that half of a centimeter gap in the back (which he thought would be ideal).

Blade lengths
9,5 = 24,13 cm
9,25 = 23,495 cm

celia

Rinkside
Definitely measure the actual sole of the boot. But I understand the curiosity while you wait. FWIW, I have the old DJ2800 Premieres in a size 7 and I use a size 9.75" blade. I'm jealous you got a pair. I looked for a new pair in the old line to have when my current boots break down, but couldn't find any discontinued ones in my size. I love the boots I have and don't really like the new Fusion line.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Definitely measure the actual sole of the boot. But I understand the curiosity while you wait. FWIW, I have the old DJ2800 Premieres in a size 7 and I use a size 9.75" blade. I'm jealous you got a pair. I looked for a new pair in the old line to have when my current boots break down, but couldn't find any discontinued ones in my size. I love the boots I have and don't really like the new Fusion line.
What is it about the Fusion line that you don't like?

celia

Rinkside
What is it about the Fusion line that you don't like?
Admittedly, it is basically aesthetic. I like the "old-fashioned" straight natural heels. I used to think the heel was higher than my old Premieres, but Jackson has assured me that is not true. Next skate I will probably get the new Fusion Premiere but substitute semi-custom LFC sole.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Admittedly, it is basically aesthetic. I like the "old-fashioned" straight natural heels. I used to think the heel was higher than my old Premieres, but Jackson has assured me that is not true. Next skate I will probably get the new Fusion Premiere but substitute semi-custom LFC sole.
I wasn't crazy about the look when we first got the Debut Fusion, then the Premiere Fusion. It grew on me. What we couldn't do is the new Premiere with the plastic cover DuraGuard on it. On my skater's new custom is the LCF. It's also leather, so a much more traditional look. She likes the plastic silver sole, but the fitter said blade adjustments in it are difficult so we went old(ish) school.

Myblade

Rinkside
One of the reasons (outside of affordability ofc!) I stuck with the old line was that I also preferred the look more haha. It might be because I grew up skating in the LCF soles but the plastic ones just didn't look right to me. It's a little more work to waterproof the LCF ones but I am very happy with them!

When you said you couldn't find one in your size, where have you looked? I purchased mine from an Amazon listing by SKATE GURU, but I was considering buying from this eBay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/401753710302?var=671533137520. It is almost $100 cheaper than what I paid (at only $199 for new boots!!) but unfortunately they did not have my size. I checked and they seem to have size 7 in the regular width if you're still looking to buy skates :)

Myblade

Rinkside
Last year I had my fitter measure my old Competitors in size 6 B against the DJ 2800 Premieres 6 N:

Competitors = 24,7 cm
Premieres DJ2800 = 24,3 cm

I'm wearing 9,5 blades under my Competitors, the discontinued Premieres would require me to go down 1/4, if I wanna keep that half of a centimeter gap in the back (which he thought would be ideal).

Blade lengths
9,5 = 24,13 cm
9,25 = 23,495 cm
Thank you so much for the actual measurements! I already ordered and received 9.5 blade, but I have a fitting appointment scheduled for this Friday. The fitter doesn't have any CA blades in stock but I'm guessing if the 9.5 blade does not work I can just suck it up and return and order a new size.

celia

Rinkside
One of the reasons (outside of affordability ofc!) I stuck with the old line was that I also preferred the look more haha. It might be because I grew up skating in the LCF soles but the plastic ones just didn't look right to me. It's a little more work to waterproof the LCF ones but I am very happy with them!

When you said you couldn't find one in your size, where have you looked? I purchased mine from an Amazon listing by SKATE GURU, but I was considering buying from this eBay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/401753710302?var=671533137520. It is almost $100 cheaper than what I paid (at only $199 for new boots!!) but unfortunately they did not have my size. I checked and they seem to have size 7 in the regular width if you're still looking to buy skates :)
Ah, thanks for the link! I'm a 7 wide (C/D). Also, I just double-checked and my skates are even older than I thought. DJ2500, not DJ2800.