Blade Roll Distance | Golden Skate

Blade Roll Distance

acid_sauce

Spectator
Hey Everyone,

I was hoping to get some advice on blades. I am currently on MK Phantom’s at the moment. They are great for the most part. When I switched over to them, my spins become a lot easier because of the smaller spin radius. But I noticed my edge jumps have struggled ever since. I sort of feel like the roll distance to the pick for axel and loop take offs are so far away, and I have to put a lot more effort making sure I roll all the way through. I have all my Doubles and am working on my triples.

Is it a technique issue? Or should I switch to something like a P99. I was considering Matrix blades since I’ve heard they are flatter. Only thing I’m afraid of is my spinning is going to be affected.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hey Everyone,

I was hoping to get some advice on blades. I am currently on MK Phantom’s at the moment. They are great for the most part. When I switched over to them, my spins become a lot easier because of the smaller spin radius. But I noticed my edge jumps have struggled ever since. I sort of feel like the roll distance to the pick for axel and loop take offs are so far away, and I have to put a lot more effort making sure I roll all the way through. I have all my Doubles and am working on my triples.

Is it a technique issue? Or should I switch to something like a P99. I was considering Matrix blades since I’ve heard they are flatter. Only thing I’m afraid of is my spinning is going to be affected.
Honestly, I feel like you would be a good candidate for a Gold Seal with the issues you are talking about here, the higher stanchions should benefit you greatly. You still have to work with technique, but GS should be good.

acid_sauce

Spectator
Honestly, I feel like you would be a good candidate for a Gold Seal with the issues you are talking about here, the higher stanchions should benefit you greatly. You still have to work with technique, but GS should be good.
Thanks for the reply!!! Could you explain why a higher sanction would work? I was originally avoiding the GS since it has a pretty high heel lift. I would’ve thought maybe a lower drag pick would be a solution

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks for the reply!!! Could you explain why a higher sanction would work? I was originally avoiding the GS since it has a pretty high heel lift. I would’ve thought maybe a lower drag pick would be a solution
The high heel lift is what I was talking about by saying "Higher stanchion" b/c that's what it is, and it should help your issues. I would not go to P99 b/c that's not going to help your situation drag pick-wise.

acid_sauce

Spectator
The high heel lift is what I was talking about by saying "Higher stanchion" b/c that's what it is, and it should help your issues. I would not go to P99 b/c that's not going to help your situation drag pick-wise.
Doesn’t higher heel lift usually mean more roll distance though? I’m a bit confused on how that would solve my issues.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The GS is also a 8ft rocker, and the way the edges are honed and ground uniquely should help with grip and stability/control for edge jumps and your spins should be more effortless than with Phantom. Yes, P99's are 8ft too (I've been wearing them for decades), but they have the bigger pick and it doesn't seem to me like you need the larger pick. If one is an excellent edge jumper to begin with (those are my best jumps for example) then P99 would be good, but if you need assistance with edge jump issues the pick is not going to do you favors nor is the way the blade is cut.

I hate to say this but you might want to consider a parabolic blade at this point due to how they are good at weight centering. You can get a Parabolic Phantom if you really love your current blades otherwise. Do you have a good trustworthy skate tech you could talk to about that?

Yes most of this issue is with technique and you need to discuss that part of it with your coach.

But please, by all means do what you think you should do.

Last edited:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I hate to say this but you might want to consider a parabolic blade at this point due to how they are good at weight centering. You can get a Parabolic Phantom if you really love your current blades otherwise. Do you have a good trustworthy skate tech you could talk to about that?
Ah, Parabolic Phantoms are great fun! I loved mine. Mind you, I loved my traditional ones, too. Not helping. Sorry...