Blade sizing problem for Royal Pro boots | Golden Skate

Blade sizing problem for Royal Pro boots

migureskater

Rinkside
Country
South-Korea
Hello! This is my first time writing... :)

I need blades for my Royal Pro boots(Size 235C), and I'm not sure if I should buy size 9 blades or size 8 3/4 blades.
Currently I'm skating in Edea Wave(235D) and size 9 blade. But I've seen some posts that Risport boots need shorter blades...

Is it okay to use size 9 blades for Royal Pro boots? Or should I buy size 8 3/4 blades?

According to some sizing charts on the Internet, it seems like both sizes are okay but there are some points I don't know, so I want to make sure...

Here(https://figureskatingstore.com/risport-sizing-chart/) they are providing charts for 'blades 1/3' and 'blades 1/4', what is the difference of them?
And here(https://skaterslanding.com/pages/risport-size-chart) they are providing both sizes for 'Toe to heel blade size' and '1/4" room on heel', so I'd like to know whether it's just for a skater's preference...

So I'd like to know if I could use size 9 blades for my Royal Pro, and I also would like to know the differences of blades 1/3 and 1/4, pros and cons of having or not having 1/4 room on heel!

Thank you all!

hope_skate

Rinkside
Country
Russia
I would recommend going to your tech and see both sizes laid onto your boots to see how it fits. For example, for my 255 Edea Chorus, the website recommends either 9 1/2 or 9 3/4. At the shop they took out both and we decided that 9 1/2 is the perfect fit. Keep in mind as well of the slight variation on the blades themselves (brand, models etc.)

Here(https://figureskatingstore.com/risport-sizing-chart/) they are providing charts for 'blades 1/3' and 'blades 1/4', what is the difference of them?
Oh it's just the size increments, from my understanding. So 1/4 blades would mean the sizing goes up by 1/4 (e.g: 9 - 9 1/4 - 9 1/2 - 9 3/4) while the 1/3 blades would mean the size increments would be in thirds (9 - 9 1/3 - 9 2/3 - 10)

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
So I'd like to know if I could use size 9 blades for my Royal Pro, and I also would like to know the differences of blades 1/3 and 1/4, pros and cons of having or not having 1/4 room on heel!
* Decades ago, some high-grade blades (such as MK) were manufactured in 1/3" increments, while other high-grade blades (such as Wilson) were manufactured in 1/4" increments. MK and Wilson merged under HD Sports, and MK eventually switched to 1/4" increments. The only blades I see advertised in 1/3" increments these days are low-end blades. Since you are talking about a Risport Royal Pro boot, you would not want to pair it with a low-end blade; so don't concern yourself with blades that come in 1/3" increments (unless you come across a great bargain for new-old-stock MK blades; occasionally still crops up online or in local pro shops when they clean out storage closets).

* Different boot manufacturers recommend full-length or 1/4"-shorter blades (relative to the sole/heel length of the boot). This has a lot to do with specifics of how the geometry of the sole/heel of the boot conforms to the geometry of the foot. If the manufacturer leaves it to the skater to decide, an advantage of 1/4" shorter is that it allows you to mount the blade back a bit without the rear mounting plate of the blade protruding past the heel of the boot (moving the blade forward/backward as well as inside/outside allows you to optimize the placement of the blade relative to your particular foot).

* Don't trust online sizing charts (even if provided by the manufacturers). Wait until you have the boots in hand so you can measure the actual lengths of the boots. In many instances, available blade lengths won't exactly match the full length or the 1/4"-shorter length anyways.

Last edited:

IceM

Rinkside
Hello! This is my first time writing... :)

I need blades for my Royal Pro boots(Size 235C), and I'm not sure if I should buy size 9 blades or size 8 3/4 blades.
Currently I'm skating in Edea Wave(235D) and size 9 blade. But I've seen some posts that Risport boots need shorter blades...

Is it okay to use size 9 blades for Royal Pro boots? Or should I buy size 8 3/4 blades?

According to some sizing charts on the Internet, it seems like both sizes are okay but there are some points I don't know, so I want to make sure...

And here(https://skaterslanding.com/pages/risport-size-chart) they are providing both sizes for 'Toe to heel blade size' and '1/4" room on heel', so I'd like to know whether it's just for a skater's preference...

Thank you all!
The difference is that some (typically cheaper) blades come in 1/3'' increments, while most blades come in 1/4'' increments, and the charts reflect this.

Typically, you want to maximize the size of the blade without overhang (going over the heel). Since blades (traditionally) come in 1/4'' increments, that means you're looking at a maximum gap of 1/4'' from the heel. If you have a boot that's exactly toe-to-heel with a blade, some people opt to go for a shorter blade still (a gap of 1/4''). There are some arguments as to why you'd want to do that, but mostly people do it, because they're more used to the feel.

Since you're already skating on a size 9, I would go with a size 9 on the Risport too, so long as the blade doesn't overhang the heel (which I would make sure with trying the blade on the boot).

migureskater

Rinkside
Country
South-Korea
I would recommend going to your tech and see both sizes laid onto your boots to see how it fits. For example, for my 255 Edea Chorus, the website recommends either 9 1/2 or 9 3/4. At the shop they took out both and we decided that 9 1/2 is the perfect fit. Keep in mind as well of the slight variation on the blades themselves (brand, models etc.)

Oh it's just the size increments, from my understanding. So 1/4 blades would mean the sizing goes up by 1/4 (e.g: 9 - 9 1/4 - 9 1/2 - 9 3/4) while the 1/3 blades would mean the size increments would be in thirds (9 - 9 1/3 - 9 2/3 - 10)
Thank you! Laying both sizes looks like a good idea.

Oh thank you for the information about the increment. I never knew that!

migureskater

Rinkside
Country
South-Korea
* Decades ago, some high-grade blades (such as MK) were manufactured in 1/3" increments, while other high-grade blades (such as Wilson) were manufactured in 1/4" increments. MK and Wilson merged under HD Sports, and MK eventually switched to 1/4" increments. The only blades I see advertised in 1/3" increments these days are low-end blades. Since you are talking about a Risport Royal Pro boot, you would not want to pair it with a low-end blade; so don't concern yourself with blades that come in 1/3" increments (unless you come across a great bargain for new-old-stock MK blades; occasionally still crops up online or in local pro shops when they clean out storage closets).

* Different boot manufacturers recommend full-length or 1/4"-shorter blades (relative to the sole/heel length of the boot). This has a lot to do with specifics of how the geometry of the sole/heel of the boot conforms to the geometry of the foot. If the manufacturer leaves it to the skater to decide, an advantage of 1/4" shorter is that it allows you to mount the blade back a bit without the rear mounting plate of the blade protruding past the heel of the boot (moving the blade forward/backward as well as inside/outside allows you to optimize the placement of the blade relative to your particular foot).

* Don't trust online sizing charts (even if provided by the manufacturers). Wait until you have the boots in hand so you can measure the actual lengths of the boots. In many instances, available blade lengths won't exactly match the full length or the 1/4"-shorter length anyways.
*Wow I never knew that it had such history! Thanks for the detailed explanation. Yes, I'm thinking about Coronation Ace and I see its increment is 1/4!

* I see, having 1/4" shorter blades allows me to optimize the position of the blade...! But I guess it has more chances of getting wrong positions as well....?

* So comparing it in actual would be the best! Thank you. Since I'm planning to buy the blades seconhand, I am going to ask the seller to measure its length and compare it to my boots' length!

migureskater

Rinkside
Country
South-Korea
The difference is that some (typically cheaper) blades come in 1/3'' increments, while most blades come in 1/4'' increments, and the charts reflect this.

Typically, you want to maximize the size of the blade without overhang (going over the heel). Since blades (traditionally) come in 1/4'' increments, that means you're looking at a maximum gap of 1/4'' from the heel. If you have a boot that's exactly toe-to-heel with a blade, some people opt to go for a shorter blade still (a gap of 1/4''). There are some arguments as to why you'd want to do that, but mostly people do it, because they're more used to the feel.

Since you're already skating on a size 9, I would go with a size 9 on the Risport too, so long as the blade doesn't overhang the heel (which I would make sure with trying the blade on the boot).
Thank you so much for the clear solution! This helps me a lot. So it means there's no problem with size 9 as long as it fits my boots... I just wish the size 9 blades fit my boots....! Thanks a lot :)

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
* I see, having 1/4" shorter blades allows me to optimize the position of the blade...! But I guess it has more chances of getting wrong positions as well....?

I don't see why that would be the case. For many, many, many moons, 1/4"-shorter was routine practice. Then some heel pitches got higher, some heels got re-designed, or some outsoles got trimmed (or combinations thereof), leading to shorter-length mounting surfaces for the same size boot. For such boots, manufacturers recommended full-length blades. But, as others have pointed out, there's still an element of personal preference, regardless of manufacturers' recommendations.

* So comparing it in actual would be the best! Thank you. Since I'm planning to buy the blades seconhand, I am going to ask the seller to measure its length and compare it to my boots' length!

I would strongly recommend against buying used blades, unless you can inspect them in person, and unless you, or someone you trust, know how to inspect them properly.

Last edited:

IceM

Rinkside
I would strongly recommend against buying used blades, unless you can inspect them in person, and unless you, or someone you trust, know how to inspect them properly.
I second this.

Make sure that the blade is not obviously wrecked by a hack sharpening, and even then I wouldn't buy a used blade that doesn't have really decent amount of sharpening left, as that way the profile can still be somewhat corrected if needed. If it comes from another skater you trust, then you're probably ok.

Usually, getting a used blade is not worth the hassle. Blades last much longer than boots (in serious use), so might as well invest in them the little extra.