Blades for both disciplines? | Golden Skate

Blades for both disciplines?

wakey_skatey

Spectator
Skater currently in Legacy Matrix and has been for a while, previously in coronation ace, landing some double jumps, spins are strong and also also ice dances. She has liked these but as we are looking at new boots also thinking about blades and whether there is a better option that would be more suited to both disciplines? Having 2 pairs of boots/blades isn’t an option at the moment and most of the skaters at her level tend to have freestyle boots/blades unless they are exclusively ice dancers.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
get a lowcut freestyle boot and get a gold seal/star for a blade which has a toe pick that is less likely to get in the way. unless she's at a super high level (medal contention at sectionals), it doesn't really matter. in fact some ice dancers prefer a normal blade.

i'd seriously recommend two pairs but i get that is not always an option.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Back in the day, I skated in SP Teri boots with MK Phantoms and danced to as high a level as possible before my long-suffering coach insisted I swap to MK Dance blades.

I would definitely NOT recommend a low-cut dance boot with Phantoms. Found that out the painful way. That top toe pick is completely incompatible with the dance toe point in dance boots...

At the moment, I'm compromised (I love spinning and want to do all the Field Move levels, too) with Risport Royal Pro boots and MK Gold Star blades, although part of me keeping wondering about going back to a less extreme dance/synchro blade. The Gold Stars are lovely, though, and the side-honing makes them great for the kind of edge quality you need for ice dance.

Vicki7

On the Ice
My dance coach danced competitively in a free skate boot and blade combo, and has basically said that as it’s my secondary discipline, there’s no need to swap, at least not for a long while.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Skater currently in Legacy Matrix and has been for a while, previously in coronation ace, landing some double jumps, spins are strong and also also ice dances. She has liked these but as we are looking at new boots also thinking about blades and whether there is a better option that would be more suited to both disciplines? Having 2 pairs of boots/blades isn’t an option at the moment and most of the skaters at her level tend to have freestyle boots/blades unless they are exclusively ice dancers.
Look into MK Dynasty blades. It's a new addition to their line and works as a hybrid blade for dance/freestyle. Gives you the best of both worlds, it is great for toe point and has an 8ft rocker as well. ;)

Last edited: