Boot and Blade Advice | Golden Skate

Boot and Blade Advice

ice86

Spectator
Hello!

I have been away from skating for a while and am getting back into it! I need to get new boots and blades and am in need of some advice.

I was working on novice moves, single axel (no real desire to go higher), and pre-silver dances when I left the ice. My goals are to pass senior moves, gold dances and improve my spins.

About a year and a half before I quit skating I got Reidell Gold Star boots and Eclipse Titanium Infinity blades. I never truly felt comfortable in them and hated the Eclipse blades. My coach at the time was fairly new and not very knowledgeable about boots and blades and told me to go by what the shop owner suggested (think they just wanted more money from me more than anything), and now, after doing some reading I think I over-booted and over-bladed. ?? I have always struggled to bend my knees and my twizzles and spins always feel off. I was in coronation ace before.

I have high arches and don’t know if I should stick with Reidells (all I’ve ever skated in) or try something else. And I don’t know how stiff I should go. I am 32 and do currently weigh 180 and am working on getting back in shape.

I tend to go off the back of my blades so going to 7’ rocker makes me a bit nervous, but maybe that’s what’s best for me. ?? Or would something like Gold Seal be fine since I have been on an 8’ rocker already? I really just want to be able to bend more in my boots, have control on my turns and edges and improve spins. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello!

I have been away from skating for a while and am getting back into it! I need to get new boots and blades and am in need of some advice.

I was working on novice moves, single axel (no real desire to go higher), and pre-silver dances when I left the ice. My goals are to pass senior moves, gold dances and improve my spins.

About a year and a half before I quit skating I got Reidell Gold Star boots and Eclipse Titanium Infinity blades. I never truly felt comfortable in them and hated the Eclipse blades. My coach at the time was fairly new and not very knowledgeable about boots and blades and told me to go by what the shop owner suggested (think they just wanted more money from me more than anything), and now, after doing some reading I think I over-booted and over-bladed. ?? I have always struggled to bend my knees and my twizzles and spins always feel off. I was in coronation ace before.

I have high arches and don’t know if I should stick with Reidells (all I’ve ever skated in) or try something else. And I don’t know how stiff I should go. I am 32 and do currently weigh 180 and am working on getting back in shape.

I tend to go off the back of my blades so going to 7’ rocker makes me a bit nervous, but maybe that’s what’s best for me. ?? Or would something like Gold Seal be fine since I have been on an 8’ rocker already? I really just want to be able to bend more in my boots, have control on my turns and edges and improve spins. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
You were definitely way overbooted and over sold period. You shouldn't have been in anything stiffer than Bronze Star Boots.

You need to see a professional fitter and have them measure and trace your foot and let you know what brands would be best for you. It sounds like (from the bit you've mentioned about your feet etc) that you may want to look into Risport Royal Pro.
If you were fine before in Coronation Ace, your level doesn't really require anything higher than that. You could safely and happily go back to that blade.
Though, if you are looking at more of the dance/moves side of things you could look into the new hybrid blade that allows for dance and freestyle-The MK Dynasty.

I wish you luck and if you need anything else, feel free to ask. :)

Last edited:

Caitlan

Spectator
Hello!

I am newer to skating than you but wanted to answer since we are close in stats (I am 34 and 190), which seems rare in figure skating online. I didn't use the pro shop since their skates were all plastic soled and I wasn't open to that at the time. Based on research ordered Riedell Silver Star and while they are super stiff to the touch, they seem right in when in use. Sort of remarkable how the extra weight just bends them to my will. Hopefully a useful data point for you.