Boot recommendations | Golden Skate

Boot recommendations

somnius96

Rinkside
Hi everyone!

I know there are a million questions about boots, but I could really use some advice as I have no one to help me in person.

I´m 25, 1.58 cm (5´2) and weight around 66 kg (145 pounds). I skate around 8 hours a week and I'm learning single jumps. I'm currently in Edea Chorus size 240, but they're broken down, since I've had them for a while, and I don't feel completely comfortable in them. My heel slips a bit and I find my ankles don't get enough support, my arches also tend to hurt, even with insoles and changing the way I lace them. It's not unbearable, but also not ideal.

My coach doesn't recommend anything in particular, everyone sort of wears whatever they want. We have people in the same level in Ice fly's and Overtures.

There's no fitter available where I live or even a a distance I can travel to. There are only 3 shops that sell figure skates in my country and none of them have been able to give me advice, the last time I asked for help they ended up giving me skates two sizes too big and way too soft, they always seem completely puzzled when it comes to anything to do with ice skating.
There's also no stock in my size for any boots, so I couldn't even try them on, I have to order the exact boots and blades I want to get. The shops only work with Edea and Risport.

Which model would you recommend for me and also would a particular width be better? Should I just stick to Edea or would Risport be a better fit? Would trying on a pair that's not my size help at all? or even try on roller skating boots from the brand?

My feet measurements are
Left: L 23.2 cm W 22 cm (I have a bunion on this foot)
Right: L 23.5 cm W 21
I have normal arches but my feet pronate slightly.
The ball of my foot is slightly bigger and it tappers towards the heel.

Thank you in advance for your help :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi everyone!

I know there are a million questions about boots, but I could really use some advice as I have no one to help me in person.

I´m 25, 1.58 cm (5´2) and weight around 66 kg (145 pounds). I skate around 8 hours a week and I'm learning single jumps. I'm currently in Edea Chorus size 240, but they're broken down, since I've had them for a while, and I don't feel completely comfortable in them. My heel slips a bit and I find my ankles don't get enough support, my arches also tend to hurt, even with insoles and changing the way I lace them. It's not unbearable, but also not ideal.

My coach doesn't recommend anything in particular, everyone sort of wears whatever they want. We have people in the same level in Ice fly's and Overtures.

There's no fitter available where I live or even a a distance I can travel to. There are only 3 shops that sell figure skates in my country and none of them have been able to give me advice, the last time I asked for help they ended up giving me skates two sizes too big and way too soft, they always seem completely puzzled when it comes to anything to do with ice skating.
There's also no stock in my size for any boots, so I couldn't even try them on, I have to order the exact boots and blades I want to get. The shops only work with Edea and Risport.

Which model would you recommend for me and also would a particular width be better? Should I just stick to Edea or would Risport be a better fit? Would trying on a pair that's not my size help at all? or even try on roller skating boots from the brand?

My feet measurements are
Left: L 23.2 cm W 22 cm (I have a bunion on this foot)
Right: L 23.5 cm W 21
I have normal arches but my feet pronate slightly.
The ball of my foot is slightly bigger and it tappers towards the heel.

Thank you in advance for your help :)
Welcome!

Edea, obviously doesn't work for you, or fulfill your particular needs or wants in a boot, so based on your foot, Risport if that is the only other choice. You're going to need a bit stiffer boot than your level because you are an adult and weight given. Try RF3 Pro Risport boot.

Very Important: What is the width of your toebox and heels each? That is going to help with telling you if they need to order in a different width of toebox or heel in your particular boot.

Also, pair with Coronation Ace or MK Pro blade. Any other questions, just ask.

Good luck! :)

somnius96

Rinkside
Welcome!

Edea, obviously doesn't work for you, or fulfill your particular needs or wants in a boot, so based on your foot, Risport if that is the only other choice. You're going to need a bit stiffer boot than your level because you are an adult and weight given. Try RF3 Pro Risport boot.

Very Important: What is the width of your toebox and heels each? That is going to help with telling you if they need to order in a different width of toebox or heel in your particular boot.

Also, pair with Coronation Ace or MK Pro blade. Any other questions, just ask.

Good luck! :)
Thank you so much for replying :)

I hope I took the measurements correctly, tell me if it sounds right please

On my left foot my heel is 5.5 cm and my toebox is 9 cm
On my right foot my heel is 5.7 and my toebox is 8.7

I was just talking with the shop and they have the rf3 available as well as the coronation ace for ordering. There's 3 different coronation ace blades though, the regular, parabolic and lite. Which one would be better?

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I was just talking with the shop and they have the rf3 available as well as the coronation ace for ordering. There's 3 different coronation ace blades though, the regular, parabolic and lite. Which one would be better?
Regular

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you so much for replying :)

I hope I took the measurements correctly, tell me if it sounds right please

On my left foot my heel is 5.5 cm and my toebox is 9 cm
On my right foot my heel is 5.7 and my toebox is 8.7

You only need a regular Coronation Ace. You're going to need a wider toebox in your boot than heel. You might want to contact Risport about that before ordering from the shop.

somnius96

Rinkside
Ok. Thank you, that's good since the regular ones are more affordable. The shop told me they can adjust the toebox, would that be sufficient or should I still contact Risport? And in that case should I ask if they do split width or what? I'm sorry I'm just a little lost since I've never contacted a boot company before, I've only had boots that were in stock in the store.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ok. Thank you, that's good since the regular ones are more affordable. The shop told me they can adjust the toebox, would that be sufficient or should I still contact Risport? And in that case should I ask if they do split width or what? I'm sorry I'm just a little lost since I've never contacted a boot company before, I've only had boots that were in stock in the store.
Yes, you need split width, but if the shop can reliably do it, don't worry about calling Risport.

somnius96

Rinkside
Yes, you need split width, but if the shop can reliably do it, don't worry about calling Risport.
Apparently they do it for high level artistic roller skaters usually, so I guess it should be fine. I'm still debating on the size though. I'm currently on size 240 length, but the seller recommends 245 and as for the width I was looking at the charts and I'm completely lost. Is there a way to tell if my current 240 is too small? I'm also planning on adding orthopaedic insoles so would that make any change.
Sorry for all the questions, I'm just nervous about ordering something I can't return, and thanks so much for answering ☺️

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Apparently they do it for high level artistic roller skaters usually, so I guess it should be fine. I'm still debating on the size though. I'm currently on size 240 length, but the seller recommends 245 and as for the width I was looking at the charts and I'm completely lost. Is there a way to tell if my current 240 is too small? I'm also planning on adding orthopaedic insoles so would that make any change.
Sorry for all the questions, I'm just nervous about ordering something I can't return, and thanks so much for answering ☺️
I don't have specific experience with Risport. Ideally an experienced fitter should take your measurements. But since you don't have access to one, here's the best you can do under your constraints:

* Riedell and Jackson both have instruction templates on what measurements and tracings to take. Email Risport and see whether they also have an instruction template.

* Have someone else take the measurements and tracings for you. If you do them on your own feet, you will get skewed results.

* As for your orthopedic insoles, that's a tough compromise. Ideally they should be ordered together. But often you don't have that option. Make sure that the boot you order has a removable stock insole (most boots these days have). Then get a size according to your measurements and tracings. Remove the stock insole, and get a low-volume orthopedic insole that fits. You indicated above that you have normal arches and pronate only slightly. If so, then this should work.