Boot Request for Advanced Beginner Adult | Golden Skate

Boot Request for Advanced Beginner Adult

cheapskate

Rinkside
Hi all!

I am an adult skater who returned after a 15-year break (skated a year when I was a kid). I've been back for just under 5 months and I progressed a lot more quickly than I thought, I'm now working on singles and have reached Adult Silver MITF. The problem is, my skates suck! I got poorly fitted, so my skates are at least a half size too big, and on top of that, they're Edea Overtures, so they are a little too flimsy for the work I'm putting them through nowadays. I'm heading into a daily academy program in November so I need new boots (no blade recs needed, I'm sticking to Coronation Aces).

I like my Edeas aside from the sizing problem, so I'm not against staying in the brand. I would love recommendations for my level in other brands though since I know a lot less about them. I'm getting fitted on Thursday, but I want to go in with some ideas. What recommendation do you have for an advanced beginner/intermediate adult skater?

Height: 5'8/176cm
Weight: 125 lbs/57 kg
Foot type: "Greek" (second toe longer than big toe)
Width: average at the toes, narrower in the heel
Arch: normal, no issues
Foot/ankle concerns: none (ankles are pretty strong from distance and trail running)

Thank you so much in advance!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi all!

I am an adult skater who returned after a 15-year break (skated a year when I was a kid). I've been back for just under 5 months and I progressed a lot more quickly than I thought, I'm now working on singles and have reached Adult Silver MITF. The problem is, my skates suck! I got poorly fitted, so my skates are at least a half size too big, and on top of that, they're Edea Overtures, so they are a little too flimsy for the work I'm putting them through nowadays. I'm heading into a daily academy program in November so I need new boots (no blade recs needed, I'm sticking to Coronation Aces).

I like my Edeas aside from the sizing problem, so I'm not against staying in the brand. I would love recommendations for my level in other brands though since I know a lot less about them. I'm getting fitted on Thursday, but I want to go in with some ideas. What recommendation do you have for an advanced beginner/intermediate adult skater?

Height: 5'8/176cm
Weight: 125 lbs/57 kg
Foot type: "Greek" (second toe longer than big toe)
Width: average at the toes, narrower in the heel
Arch: normal, no issues
Foot/ankle concerns: none (ankles are pretty strong from distance and trail running)

Thank you so much in advance!
Hello and welcome! I have one question: What do you mean by normal arch?
Giving advice otherwise: Edea Concerto, Risport Rf3 Pro or Royal Pro, Riedell Bronze Star, Graf Richmond Special. :)

Good luck!

Last edited:

cheapskate

Rinkside
Hello and welcome! I have one question: What do you mean by normal arch?
Giving advice otherwise: Edea Chorus, Risport Rf3 Pro or Royal Pro, Riedell Bronze Star, Graf Richmond Special. :)

Good luck!
By normal arch, I just mean it's not too flat but not too high either. Thanks for the recommendations! Chorus are definitely high on the list, as are the Royal Pro. Do you not suggest Jackson?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
By normal arch, I just mean it's not too flat but not too high either. Thanks for the recommendations! Chorus are definitely high on the list, as are the Royal Pro. Do you not suggest Jackson?
If your foot fits Edea well, it's going to feel lost in a jackson. ;)

cheapskate

Rinkside
If your foot fits Edea well, it's going to feel lost in a jackson. ;)
I went to the fitter yesterday and you're right, Jackson was way too spacious in the toe. After trying just about everything in the store (and ripping all the skin off my fingers lol) I ended up really liking the Edea Concerto and Ice Fly, and the Risport RF1s. Ice Fly was his idea to try-- I did like them but of course I did, everyone does out of the box lol. My fitter basically refuses to put me in Chorus after seeing how I could bend them-- he thinks they are too weak for my ankles and would have to be replaced too soon. The RF3 was similarly a little bendy (and a lot less comfortable for my foot). Part of me questions this, as I know these are rated above my jump ability, but since I'm a tall adult perhaps this is where the whole rated-for-kids thing comes in?
My biggest concerns were of course fit and durability with the heavy skating season ahead-- my goal is to be landing my singles and working on axel by springtime. You are definitely the leading recommender in the forum, so I wanted to see if you have thoughts about if there's a payoff here with the increased stiffness that would translate to durability, or if I'm simply overbooting. I do not want to be buying new boots again in 5 months lol.
(Also, my fitter is very credible-- they're the biggest skate store in the area and people come from all over to see them. Still, I'd love a second opinion :biggrin:)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I went to the fitter yesterday and you're right, Jackson was way too spacious in the toe. After trying just about everything in the store (and ripping all the skin off my fingers lol) I ended up really liking the Edea Concerto and Ice Fly, and the Risport RF1s. Ice Fly was his idea to try-- I did like them but of course I did, everyone does out of the box lol. My fitter basically refuses to put me in Chorus after seeing how I could bend them-- he thinks they are too weak for my ankles and would have to be replaced too soon. The RF3 was similarly a little bendy (and a lot less comfortable for my foot). Part of me questions this, as I know these are rated above my jump ability, but since I'm a tall adult perhaps this is where the whole rated-for-kids thing comes in?
My biggest concerns were of course fit and durability with the heavy skating season ahead-- my goal is to be landing my singles and working on axel by springtime. You are definitely the leading recommender in the forum, so I wanted to see if you have thoughts about if there's a payoff here with the increased stiffness that would translate to durability, or if I'm simply overbooting. I do not want to be buying new boots again in 5 months lol.
(Also, my fitter is very credible-- they're the biggest skate store in the area and people come from all over to see them. Still, I'd love a second opinion :biggrin:)
Hi. The boot suggestions I did give you are higher than I would usually suggest for someone of your level, and I do that based on you saying you weigh more etc. At 125lbs, you should NOT be bending a RF3 or Royal Pro or several of the Edea's I suggested (Edea fit differently than other boots in the ankles btw looser). You do not by any means belong in an RF1 risport or a Ice Fly at your skill level, and at 125lbs that doesn't suggest you need those either, and yes I understand you have strong ankles etc from running but that shouldn't affect your boot fitting the way you're describing. I feel like even though you say the fitter is very credible---that he's trying to upsell you like many do. And I am also concerned that you said "They're the biggest skate store in the area"---is this a chain store where they sell hockey mostly, do they know figure skating needs, because what you are telling me after your fitting has me highly questioning your fitter. If you want to DM me and tell me what store and what fitter I can tell you if it is indeed a credible place/fitter. BTW, my first post should have said Concerto for edea not chorus.

cheapskate

Rinkside
Hi. The boot suggestions I did give you are higher than I would usually suggest for someone of your level, and I do that based on you saying you weigh more etc. At 125lbs, you should NOT be bending a RF3 or Royal Pro or several of the Edea's I suggested (Edea fit differently than other boots in the ankles btw looser). You do not by any means belong in an RF1 risport or a Ice Fly at your skill level, and at 125lbs that doesn't suggest you need those either, and yes I understand you have strong ankles etc from running but that shouldn't affect your boot fitting the way you're describing. I feel like even though you say the fitter is very credible---that he's trying to upsell you like many do. And I am also concerned that you said "They're the biggest skate store in the area"---is this a chain store where they sell hockey mostly, do they know figure skating needs, because what you are telling me after your fitting has me highly questioning your fitter. If you want to DM me and tell me what store and what fitter I can tell you if it is indeed a credible place/fitter. BTW, my first post should have said Concerto for edea not chorus.

Thanks for your input! Sorry, when I say "biggest" I mean the most sought after. They fit competitive figure, including a few Olympians and Worlds skaters. The fitter I worked with has been fitting figure for over a decade and he was very responsive to my feedback (saw him again today and we're taking Ice Fly off the table for sure). I'll definitely take the upsell concern into account though and check in with my coach tomorrow morning about what she thinks since she knows my skating well. Thanks again.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks for your input! Sorry, when I say "biggest" I mean the most sought after. They fit competitive figure, including a few Olympians and Worlds skaters. The fitter I worked with has been fitting figure for over a decade and he was very responsive to my feedback (saw him again today and we're taking Ice Fly off the table for sure). I'll definitely take the upsell concern into account though and check in with my coach tomorrow morning about what she thinks since she knows my skating well. Thanks again.
You're welcome., just know that most coaches are not the greatest for advice on boots.

Last edited: