Boots started to hurt previously ok | Golden Skate

Boots started to hurt previously ok

wakey_skatey

Spectator
My daughter (teenage) skates in Jackson Debut which she got in October, previously had the Premiere but decided she didn’t need that stiffness, had them 2 years but didn’t break down - she has some double jumps and also dances. They were fitted by a reputable supplier, all was well but suddenly in the last few weeks they have started to hurt a lot on her heels and ankles, there are marks on her ankle long front and side. She has a custom insole fitted and size seems fine, her feet haven’t grown and wears a gel tube. During this time she’s had time on/off ice due to lockdowns and having to isolate recently so wonder if that has been a factor. Any suggestions as to why this might start so suddenly and what might help would be appreciated.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Mine is in the Premiere, also 2 years and no break down. When she got back on regularly (we had several stops/starts) she had some pain issues with her ankle, and blisters on her heel. Her fitter looked at the boots and they fit fine. Her problems went away with time and we think it was just a bit of overuse after a long lay off. She's now back to 6 days, 3 of which are 2X days. She's had no further complaints.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Feet definitely spread a bit and soften up if you skate less. Hopefully this is just a brief stage but definitely consult your skate fitter/tech if you think that there's more to it.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm going to agree with both @WednesdayMarch and @MCsAngel2. Our feet do soften and spread, but I also agree that her boots have probably had it and are or have broken down w/o possibly showing it (it does happen), especially with the doubles AND dance. I never wore the same boots for both disciplines, but that's your skaters choice, but be aware that her one pair will break down faster especially if they are not stiff enough in the first place for her skill set.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Mine did doubles (2s, 2Lo, 2f) in Debuts for almost a year with nary a hint of breakdown. Once she got to 2Lz, just a feeling of not enough support. Don't know how the OP's skater's size compares though.

Sibelius

On the Ice
I'm going to agree with both @WednesdayMarch and @MCsAngel2. Our feet do soften and spread, but I also agree that her boots have probably had it and are or have broken down w/o possibly showing it (it does happen), especially with the doubles AND dance. I never wore the same boots for both disciplines, but that's your skaters choice, but be aware that her one pair will break down faster especially if they are not stiff enough in the first place for her skill set.
I know you're a leather boot wearer, but maybe by observation in your career you can answer. Do microfiber boots generally not show as much visible breakdown as leather? I have seen one pair of Premieres on a skater that frightened me they were so creased, but in general I don't see it. We haven't experienced it in 3 pairs (2 Debuts and one Premiere). The only "breakdown" was the tongue not providing the support needed. As of today's report from George, by August 20th she'll be in leather boots for the duration, so I'm just curious.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I know you're a leather boot wearer, but maybe by observation in your career you can answer. Do microfiber boots generally not show as much visible breakdown as leather? I have seen one pair of Premieres on a skater that frightened me they were so creased, but in general I don't see it. We haven't experienced it in 3 pairs (2 Debuts and one Premiere). The only "breakdown" was the tongue not providing the support needed. As of today's report from George, by August 20th she'll be in leather boots for the duration, so I'm just curious.
Yes, just another reason why I hate synthetic boots and microfiber.

wakey_skatey

Spectator
Thanks everyone. There are no visible signs broken down but will get them checked out, in the time she’s had them we had 2 lockdowns so she’s probably only skated in them for 4/5 months. She does say they seem to come loose though.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks everyone. There are no visible signs broken down but will get them checked out, in the time she’s had them we had 2 lockdowns so she’s probably only skated in them for 4/5 months. She does say they seem to come loose though.
if they're coming loose and are tied right around her ankles, then yes, they're more than likely broken down.